Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
...they finally ran aground and damaged the keel badly. They were following a light on the other side of a promontory. Went straight in to the shore, in the morning they wondered how they had missed all the rocks going in! This guy was great singlehanding across the Atlantic but don't put him anywhere near land!!
Truth is that since the GPS and chart plotters, coastal navigation is boring and easy. Sometimes I miss those times when I used to navigate only with a compass, estimating boat speed. After a landfall we have lost that old feeling that comes with that basic question: Where the hell am I?

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2010

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Then there is the "what is a GPS?" question.

As mentioned, some might do very well with a texaco road map, compass that works, and not screwed by deviation wise if floating about in the Cheasapeak, puget sound, or a larger, what I would call larger lake, not talking a Great lake mind you......... but also as mentioned, Columbus supposidly did not have a map, altho there is some thought the religous sect he belonged to had more map info than originally thought to how the world was at the time........

In the end, not worth dealing with darwin issues, as I am sure we all have a darwin award coming for some really dumb thing we all have done in our lives, like signing up to post and read drivel like this on sailinet! eek!

marty
Old 05-07-2010

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
As you get ready to pull into your marina... Hide your charts and have a Road atlas laying open in the cockpit of your boat.

Now that should get a few laughs....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 05-07-2010
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
I realize that a bit of levity is in order, but IMHO the tone of the thread is one of sympathy for the clown in the boat. If I got it wrong, my apologies, but if I'm picking up on that what will a complete newbie think?

One of the earlier posters from my neck of the woods said that up here, paper charts are required. The only acceptable alternative is adequate local knowledge. That said, most boaters up here agree that paper charts are the best way to keep the CG happy.

As for electronics, I won't even go there. From what I can see here, that topic has been well debated.

A few years ago, our sailing club was leaving Gibsons for Silva Bay when we all heard one of our skippers contact the CG. Upon arrival in Silva Bay, we asked him what had happened. It turns out they had encountered a sail boat with 2 women, entering Shoal Channel. The ladies thought that they were entering Silva Bay! Bob was asking the CG to intercept them before they hurt themselves or somebody else! I never did hear how it turned out.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat

Last edited by sailjunkie; 05-07-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-07-2010

jackdale will become famous soon enough
The simple answer is "No".

I have another reason to distrust electronic charts. Navionics shows Atkins Reef in Trincomali Channel, a Port Hand Bifurcation Day Beacon, as a Starboard Lateral Daybeacon.

I am beginning to really like raster charts.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 05-08-2010

Capttman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Capttman
Some humor should be in order ladies and gentlemen!! Of course one should use prudence in any endeavor, my point was learn to sail without modern conveniences. I have a thought, maybe one should not be sailing if he/she cannot improvise, read the waves, read the current, use a lead line for depth or use good ole intuition..... Haven't you ever sought shelter in an uncharted cove or inlet?? If not maybe you should learn. You will find beauty beyond compare.
Old 05-08-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
I would like to see more land points on the nautical charts. The nautical charts seem to go out of their way to not show things easily found on a road map. A couple major roads now and then would be handy when you get to a strange port and are trying to switch to the land map to look for food and drink.
Old 05-09-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I would like to see more land points on the nautical charts.
Any land side feature that cannot be seen from afloat is of no use aboard ship. One thing that does need detailed identification is lights--the flashing red light atop tower that can be seen a good ways at sea can be mistaken for a nearer mark and cause difficulties. Fortunately some are but as Cell-Phone and Microwave towers proliferate along the coast, many are not so one must be sure of the characteristics of a light one is looking for. We had difficulty with this while trying to close with Sanibel Island Pass very late one night and chose to lay off as the lights didn't make any sense. In the early morning some of the lights proved to be installed on towers well ashore.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 05-09-2010
Banned

eryka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Many years ago we came across a guy who sailed from Indonesia to South Africa on a 24 foot sailboat using a school atlas for navigation. When he landed he knew he was in Africa but had no idea which city. He simply found a loom on the horizon one night and sailed to it, finding Durban.

So it can and has been done.
I love this story!!! Coming back from the Bahamas we saw the glow of Miami almost 100 miles away - wild. For the grammar geeks in this thread, it's "lume" from the same Latin root as "luminous," not "loom" like weaving cloth. (I didn't know that till I had to look it up for a blog story I wrote).

When I first saw the thread title I thought you guys were asking the questions seriously.
Old 05-09-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Omatako :

Many years ago we came across a guy who sailed from Indonesia to South Africa on a 24 foot sailboat using a school atlas for navigation. When he landed he knew he was in Africa but had no idea which city. He simply found a loom on the horizon one night and sailed to it, finding Durban.

So it can and has been done."

Some years back while I was doing some work on my boat, I saw, entering the port, a fishing boat towing a strange boat. Well it had a mast but it didn't look like a sailboat.

I went to have a look and the fishermen (they knew me) asked me to translate because they couldn't understand what the Englishman wanted.

It turned out that the guy (around 55/60 years old) wanted to know how much he owed them for the rescue. They all smiled, as if the question was rather unnecessary and they said: “You owe us nothing, but if you pay a beer, we will accept”.

And that's how I knew Philip, a guy that was to become a friend.

It turned out that the boat was a Second World War torpedo boat converted to a sailboat!!!! … I have to say, it looked a very strange sailboat.

Philip was "fished out" by the fishermen 35 miles out, with a flooded engine, almost no fuel, almost no water and with ragged sails. He was also in very bad shape, not injured, but half starved and dehydrated.

He had no sail experience, was living the adventure of his life and, of course, he had as charts, the world atlas of his son .

Well, in what regards sailing, the guy was crazy, but on all other accounts he was a very nice guy and a very interesting person. He was an educated man with an interesting life story. He worked with “acupuntura” (Chinese medicine with needles) and was very good at it. My wife and I can attest that.

He was very British, quite a gentleman, and I still remember some of his strange idiosyncrasies. For example: he never worked on his boat on sunny days (when everybody else was working).;on those occasions he was seated on his boat reading. When the weather was nasty, on cold and rainy days, there it was Philippe, working on his boat. He also didn’t drink alcoholic beverages during the day, only at night. These peculiarities and his easy going personality made him a popular guy among the fisherman that gave him a lot of fish. They think he was mad, but a nice guy.

He stayed among us for almost a year, recovering the boat and recovering his strength. He never went out for sail, not even in my boat that he considered fragile and dangerous (I had a traditional 80 years old traditional sailboat).

One nice day Philippe announced that in a week he was sailing to Brasil. We could not convince him otherwise, so on a nice summer day he sails out with its World Atlas as a guide.

He said that he would send a postcard when he arrived.

That was 30 years ago and unfortunately we never got any postcard.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 05-09-2010 at 02:15 PM.