SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Pre-Trip Checkout

3K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  davidpm 
#1 · (Edited)
Let’s say you are helping someone with a few day coastal move. You are not the captain or owner but since we are all ultimately responsible for our own safety you figure it would be prudent to do a quick check before taking off in an unknown boat even if only coastal.

A full survey would be great but probably not likely to happen.

The following is a list of stuff I would check:
1. Walk around the boat slowly and just look at everything.
The idea is to see if something is just not right and to just get a feel for the boat.
2. Check the bilge, ideally dry the bilge completely, and shut off the bilge pump.
The idea is to do this first as the checkout will probably take at least a half hour and we want to see if the boat is leaking at the dock. At the end of the check-out check the bilge again and make sure it is not leaking and that the pump works.
3. Ground tackle size and length.
4. Standing rigging
5. Running rigging, Winches, handles, blocks
Just trying to see if the boat is in good enough shape to sail and has all the parts.
6. Dock lines and boat hook
7. Hoist sails if possible at dock
8. Steering
Checking for unusual play
9. Reefing
10. Horn, lights, PFD’s, flares, Insurance, Registration, BoatUS membership card
11. Through hulls
12. Battery(s) 12.6 volts
13. Start engine
14. Transmission
15. Fuel tank size (full)
16. Battery 14+ volts with engine running
17. Chain plates
18. Head (Tank empty)
19. Radio
20. Charts
21. Compass
22. GPS
23. Fresh Water
24. Food
25. Clothing appropriate for everyone
26. First aid kit

This is just my first pass. What would you add?
The goal is not to ascertain the value of the boat like a full survey. The goal is to do what is prudent.
In most cases there will be things that are not perfect but at least you have an idea of the chance that the boat will survive a short trip.

See less See more
#2 ·
Let's say you are helping someone with a few day coastal move. You are not the captain or owner but since we are all ultimately responsible for our own safety you figure it would be prudent to do a quick check before taking off in an unknown boat even if only coastal.

A full survey would be great but probably not likely to happen.

The following is a list of stuff I would check:

This is just my first pass. What would you add?
The goal is not to ascertain the value of the boat like a full survey. The goal is to do what is prudent.
In most cases there will be things that are not perfect but at least you have an idea of the chance that the boat will survive a short trip.
I'm inclined to make it much simpler than that.

At first glance, is the boat clean, or is it a moss farm? If the boat looks like hell from 50 feet, don't waste your time. Turn around and walk back up the dock.

Boat looks good.. what next?
MOB gear on deck? Last serviced (a la MOM 8 or a life raft)? Safety gear easy to locate? Up to date? Radio check... vhf/ssb work? 2 high capacity manual bilge pumps? One operable from the cockpit? Location of thru hulls... is every nook and cranny in the boat full of crap so you can't even locate them yet alone get to one and close it? Operable? Hoses double clamped? Look under the floor boards... is it a petri dish of horrors, or clean? Visible plumbing look well maintained? Open up electrical panel... is it a rat's nest, or is it done to industry standards? Are the batteries properly strapped down? Are the leads clean? How old? Engine/boat maintenance log... is there one? Is it in order? Maybe a quick wipe with a rag under the engine... smoke when starting? Are basic spares on the boat (impeller, belts, oil filter(s), engine oil)? Is there a good set of tools on the boat including a multi-meter? Running rigging.. new, or old? Even if new, has the owner bothered to whip the ends? (sometimes the small stuff really shows an owner's attitude toward the boat) Are splices clean and the right lengths? Are lines and hardware appropriately sized for the boat? Condition and age of sails... first glance, any mildew? loose threads or threads that break with the pass of a finger nail? (You probably won't get to see them until the shake down) What else is in the inventory? Age? Are there jack lines ready to rig?

In general, a well cared for boat will be pretty easy to see in short order. Trip and maintenance logs exist, and can be reviewed. A good boat will want the delivery crew to do a shake down before heading out.

If the boat's in good working order, buy charts if they aren't already on the boat, provision, fuel, water up, and go.

I'd bring my own handheld GPS and VHF and batteries for the trip as well.

#5 · (Edited)
Are the batteries accessable and do you have the tools to quickly disconnect them in case of an electrical short/fire. If disconnection is not an option, just pour baking soda in them :eek:

Actually DO a VHF radio check. I was able to receive with great clarity with mine when I bought the boat. Couldn't transmit at all. I also like to take a handheld VHF with me on trips like that.

Got some spare shackles/carabiners and some line or webbing that you can use to improvise jacklines/teathers?

+1 on stuffing box. Run the engine in gear at the dock if possible and check for dripage after.

inspect throttle and gear linkages.

Inspect diesel fuel filter bowl. (looking in diesel tank through insepection port would be much better) If it sat and they cruised inland and you go coastal with bad fuel you may get filter clogging from contamination.

Manual bilge pump would be nice....

#7 ·
The only thing on your list that made me laugh was the BoatUS membership.

I recommend you check the engine oil and coolant before starting it up, same for transmission oil. As for fuel, that's easy to come by. What you need are spare fuel filters.

My own boats have never been inspected as thoroughly as the list accumulated on this thread. Well, not all at once anyway.

#8 ·
Fuel filters, and a wrench and raw water impeller and belt.

I see what you mean about the list. Where do you stop.

As as far as your boat goes that is the point. On your boat that you have been on for months or years you just know what is going on. At least you have a chance.

#9 ·
What you check is determined by what boat you're talking about. If it is a boat that you or someone you know well normally uses, then the need for a thorough walk through is far lower. For instance, later this month I'll be helping deliver a catamaran my friend owns from the Bahamas, but I don't think a thorough walk through is necessary, since it is a boat I know fairly well and that I know the owner of and know how he maintains it.

A couple of years ago I helped a friend move a new boat to her home harbor, and I went over that boat with a fine-toothed comb, since she and I were both new to the boat, and had little true idea of what shape she was really in. A good place to start when dealing with an unknown boat is the Boat Inspection Trip Tips list I wrote. Since you'll be sailing on the boat, you'll want to add things like checking for the proper tools, spares, emergency supplies in addition to what is on that list.

Tools-do you have a proper toolset aboard that will allow you to make basic repairs and replace important spares, like the engine raw water impeller?

Spares-do you have the proper spares, like fuel filters, engine raw water impellers, etc.

Emergency Gear-do you have the required flares, PFDs, etc. Do you have wooden plugs for the various through hulls and know where the through hulls are all located.

Miscellaneous-Do you know where the fire extinguishers are? Do you know where the main battery switch is? Do you know where the propane tanks are? Do you know where the emergency tiller is kept and how it mounts?

#10 ·
Do you know where the main battery switch is? Do you know where the propane tanks are? Do you know where the emergency tiller is kept and how it mounts?
Thanks SD, you added a couple not on my list and made me think of a couple more.

How is the boat wired? Is there an echo charger? is the bilge pump wired directly.

How is the pressure water setup? Automatic switch? Will it burn out if left on?

Is the depth finder calibrated for water depth of clearance under keel?

#11 ·
Hey,

That is a pretty comprehensive list. My question, is what do you do if some of the items 'fail' the test? Do you back out of the trip, insist that the items be corrected immediately, forget about it and take off, or what? What if the owner tells you he doesn't have an extra impeller, the fire extinguishers are expired, and he can't find the emergency tiller?

Barry

#12 ·
It really depends on what failed as well as the scope of the trip. You have to take each item as it stands and how your comfort level is with what doesn't pass.

For instance, say the fire extinguishers and flares are expired... Most fire extinguishers will work fairly well, even past their expiration date, provided they're still pressurized. SOLAS class flares will often work, even years past their expiration date, and are better than USCG-approved flares when they're 5-10 years old in many cases.

If the through-hulls are about to fail...that's a different story...

#14 ·
For the trip you describe, it sounds like the 'human' factor was a the biggy! If it had been yourself and a trusted friend, known the basic state of the boat, and the moorage situation at the destination, would you have gone?

(The human factor, it's always the 500 lb gorilla in the room!)

#15 ·
The human factor made it a no-brainer. But since the tide was against us the wind high and the motor flaky I'm pretty sure I would have not done it even with reliable crew.
Of course if their was a gang of thugs running down the dock that would have changed the equation.:D

You do bring up a very interesting question. Every time we go out their is a decision being made.
Is the crew, boat, weather etc. OK enough to leave the dock?

#16 ·
The next post is my final list incorporating all your suggestions.
It is very similar to SD's boat inspection list with a few missing and a few added. It would be similar to a charter inspection too.

#17 · (Edited)
Bilge Start
Check the bilge, ideally dry the bilge completely, and shut off the bilge pump.
Check the stuffing box
The idea is to do this first as the checkout will probably take at least a half hour and we want to see if the boat is leaking at the dock. At the end of the check-out check the bilge again and make sure it is not leaking and that the pump works

Deck
Walk around the boat slowly and just look at everything. The idea is to see if something is just not right and to just get a feel for the boat..
Ground tackle size and length.
Standing rigging
Running rigging, Winches, handles, blocks, Trying to see if the boat is in good enough shape to sail and has all the parts.
Hoist sails if possible at dock
Reefing
Dock lines and boat hook, spare line
Steering, Check for unusual play
Emergency Tiller
Manual Bilge pump(s) and handle
Horn, lights, PFD's, Throwable, flares, boat hook
Speedometer, Depth finder, other deck instruments
Tank fills and tank key
Compass
Check all compartments

Engine (deck level)
Start engine, key and process
Transmission, forward and reverse, check cables
Check stuffing box

Skippering
Insurance, Registration
Tax payment proof
BoatUS membership card
Manuals, Maintenance records
Charts
Compass
GPS
Binoculars
Flood Light

Engine (below deck)
Spare parts, belts, impeller, tools, filters, muli-meter
Fuel filter,
Oil check
Transmission check
Oil Pressure (50)
Water Pressure (170 - 180)
Maximum RPM (Lookup) Run engine at 90%
Primary filter bowl
Zinc (Might as well know where it is)

Below Deck
Through hulls, plugs
check all compartments
Chain plates
Fuel tank size (full)
Head (Tank empty)
Tank locations and locations of valves and inspection ports
Fire extinguisher
Propane tanks and switch operation.
Stove operation
Pressure water operation
Head operation

Electrical and Electronic
Main Switch (What exactly does it turn on and off, what is direct to battery)
Use of all switches on panel
What is the charging position(s)
Battery(s) 12.6 volts
Battery 14+ volts with engine running
Radio (check transmit with handheld)
Electronics, Chart plotter, etc

Personal
Fresh Water
Food
Medication seasickness
Clothing appropriate for everyone
First aid kit
Gloves, Boots, Sun Glasses, Hats, Sunscreen, TP (Stuff People forget)
Hand held radio, GPS etc.

Seatrial
Run engine at 90% max and check instruments
Operate all sails
Operate all instruments
Check for leaks

Bilge (End)
At the end of the check-out check the bilge again and make sure it is not leaking and that the pump works.

#18 ·
The human factor... probably the biggest variable.
I am recalling when I first met DavidPM on Bene505's boat out at Montauk for a delivery trip back to the western LI Sound. We had all volunteered to come along for the trip and had spoken with Brad on the phone and he had briefly interviewed us and visa versa. All I initially knew was that he had previously owned a Venture 21' and that he and his son had brought the boat up from Annapolis to Montauk together. Knowing that a 50' boat has many more systems then a 21' boat made me wonder a trifle but what I did not know was that Brad was also an amateur pilot at one time. Another point of wonder was that the reefing lines for the main sail had not been set up since he had acquired the boat. DavidPM and another sailnetter set up the 2 reefing lines BEFORE we set out the next morning and it turned out that we really needed them. Brad was a nice enough guy and his boat was less then 10 years old so I don't recall anyone using a fine toothed comb to check out the engine on his boat but we really needed that as well. It was really nice to have other seemingly competent sailors along like DavidPM and DefRich who helped to allay my fears as the weather was looking a bit iffy, even if it was only to be a trip of just under 100 nm down LI Sound.
The weather turned out to be the other most important variable. The weekend in November we had chosen to do the transit was also the weekend that a fall squall decided to show up. After leaving Montauk in light winds and mild fog the wind built up from the S, S/W until it was easily gusting to 40 knots by the time we pulled into Port Jefferson. I believe Brad got a SOG reading of 4 or 5 knots under bare poles alone outside of Port Jeff before we entered the harbor to tie up for the night.
I'll admit right here and now that I am a bit of a chicken shyt and prefer sailing when the conditions are much nicer then what we encountered that day and the next. We ended up motoring from Port Jeff to Glen Cove and the 50' Benetteau was pounding over the 4+ foot waves the now westerly blow we faced with varying seascapes of either all white horses when the wind hit above 45 knots or only several here and there when it went back down near 30 knots with still large lumpy waves for the LI Sound (all wind speeds were verified after the trip from buoy readings on mysound.com). I admit that the conditions alarmed and even scared me a bit as I was not used to them. I even mentioned ditching out in a port like Oyster Bay to him but he seemed to be almost enjoying it AND he had his son aboard AND the saltier of the crew (DavidPM & DefRich) went below to take naps while the boat pounded! It was only 12 more miles to Glen Cove after all and I know the layout of the western Sound quite well and grew up sailing near Glen Cove.
It was a beautiful, awesome and scary trip to me but I am so glad I did it. I am also glad that we had no engine problems and had the ability to reef the main down to the second reef point and take in the jib. We sailed most of the way to Port Jeff but the motor, reefing ability and crew made it all possible. I also enjoyed hanging out in the cabin while the boat was going through its motions and chatting with DefRich who was in the navy (that's how he got deaf); this fact reassured me that I don't get sea sick too easily. I would do it again though in a heart beat.

Not sure if all of this is applicable to your thread so sorry for the drift.
Cheers

#19 ·
That was an amazing trip. Brad has a great boat and I learned something the last few minutes of the trip. When Brad was pulling up the the destination dock the the dock hand was trying to get him to park in a dangerous place and he just said no. Lesson learned.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.