Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrB View Post
What do others do in these constantly variable wind speed and direction situations with re: sail plan management.

DrB
Motor.

In Lake Texoma, the winds rush and gust down the cliffs, always clocking different directions. At some point you ask yourself if you are sailing to sail, or sailing to relax? It is days like that where I love the smell of diesel!!!!

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2010
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Well............................no comment

The harder it blows the better I like it...Seems like my middle daughter feels the same way...YMMV

Relationships are everything to me..everything else in life are just tools to enhance them.

The purchase price of a boat is just the admittance fee to the dance...you still have to spend money on the girl...so court one with something going for her with pleasing and desirable character traits others desire as well... or you could find yourself in a disillusioned relationship contemplating an expensive divorce.

Last edited by Stillraining; 05-17-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-17-2010
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
In the Midwest, we have lots of days like that. Some days is is steady out of the same direction, and sometimes it shifts and gusts.

I think sail management would depend on if you want to err on the side of avoiding hair-raising-out-of-control moments, or risk adding more mind numbing slow days.
Old 05-17-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Sailflow is your friend!
Old 05-17-2010

GreatWhite is on a distinguished road
I sail in a location with variable winds and a boat is powered by the foresail.

...for a quick response to increasing wind (if your caught with too much sail up):

flatten (depower) main ...go for small changes
spill main ...quick release
reef main ...easier than a head sail change
drop, reef or change head sail

I have a great heavy cloth number 4 that reefs... in medium winds allows for a close sheet using tracks inside the shrouds for great pointing ability
Old 05-18-2010
48' wood S&S yawl

cormeum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
We it got worse and I couldn't get the RF Genny reefed quick enough.
Reefed? What's that?

Just kidding, your plan is sound- figure ypur sailplan for the highest expect wind speed- or be a cowboy and occasionally sail on your ear.
Old 05-18-2010
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormeum View Post
Reefed? What's that?
Heh-heh. I love this place!

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-18-2010

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
If the wind conditions are changing back and forth so fast that I can't keep up with the necessary sail changes, then I consider it a good time to heave-to, or take the sails down and motor, or take a break for lunch. In most places, if you'll wait 20-30 minutes, it'll settle down and stop changing so rapidly, and you can go back to sailing.

If I sailed in an area like CD described at Lake Texoma, I think I would tuck a reef in the mainsail, and be ready to roll up as much of the jib as needed, to keep the boat under control in the gusts.

Last edited by Sailormon6; 05-18-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-22-2010

capecodda is on a distinguished road
Code 0?

Dr B

Put a 100 or 90 blade on that roller, and leave it there. Then look into a Code 0 sail for the light wind days. These thing can be configured to roll up on a flexible line, and pack into a bag like a big snake.

If you get caught with the Code 0 up, you can roll it in and roll out the blade, or vice versa. Of course since the 2 rollers are right up next too each other, you cannot tack the Code 0, but you can't have everything.

If this can be made to work on your rig, you won't have to drop the blade to switch, which can big a bigger job, particularly in a blow.

Yea, we all hate/love wind
Old 05-23-2010

DrB will become famous soon enough
Good Advice from All - Follow Up

I put up a request looking for a small sail on the Pearson Yahoo groups and Bingo another 10M owner (my boat) had a 95% Jib that he had no need for. While it was a little smaller than I was hoping, for $350, it was worth it. It is a Neal Pryde sail and in good shape. Bonus, he lived less than an hour from me

Before I got this sail, I only had a storm jib, 130, 135, and 150%, so this made a good addition to the sail inventory. Hoisted it on my boat and tried it this weekend. Not a lot of wind (16 kts max) to give it a thorough workout, but I was really, and pleasantly, surprised on how efficeiently the sail plan made the boat move. Closehauled, we averaged the following SOG's (GPS):
  • 7 kts apparent 3.8 kt SOG
  • 8 kts apparent 4.3 SOG
  • 9 kts apparent 4.9 SOG
  • 10 kts apparent 5.3 kt SOG
  • 13 Kts aaparent 5.8 kts SOG
  • 16 kts Apparent 6.2 SOG

We never were over 15 deg heel and my wife really enjoyed that. Had I had the 135 up, we would have been in the 6 kt SOG range at 10 kts apparent and 6.3 kts at 13 apparent. By 16 kts, we would have been heeled over around 25 to 30 deg and staring to experience moderate helm but only doing about 6.7 kts.

Yes, weren't as fast and could have easily have used the 135 today, but the 95 was easier to tack and the sail was more pleasurable with less heel. Had we had some bodies on the boat, the 135 would have been sweet, but for being 40% smaller in area, the 95 was decent for two of us for a lazy relaxing sail even in light winds.

DrB

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.