Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Sand bar anchoring,

A few YCs are having a "sand bar" party up river from my YC. power boats, no prob. keel boats.. anchor. here's what I'm wondering.. the tidal range in our area is very close to the draft my boat needs.

A- nudge in bow first? 2 anchors?
B- stern first so the ladder can be used? (sure way to damage the rudder)
C- anchor parallel to the "bar" and use the dink?
D- ck with the organizers for their ideas and help.

A and B, we would go in at dead low tide, C seems the safest and within my comfort level, D.. eh...

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2010
new and proud of it

w1651 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to w1651
I am assuming no docks or trees to tie off on if you get there early.
c - definately and cover up with fenders.
In fact go to the store and get some fenders now.

-------------
You can have a dog as a friend and booze as a friend but if you got a girl as a friend. Your gonna end up drunk kissin your dog!
Old 06-11-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A would probably be the easiest to do and present the least problems with getting the boat back underway IMHO, since you could use the stern anchor to kedge the boat back into the water deep enough to sail away easily.

Anchoring parallel to the bar would probably have some issues, since you'd need at least three anchors—one at the bow and stern and one to keep the boat from swinging into the shallower water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-11-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Bow first seems doable now that I think about it SD, How's bout 2 stern anchors angled to the beach, would they keep the boat nose in and still be able to rise with the tide? But then would the keel dig in too deep to break out? To anchor this way seems like something good to know, but you know I'll chicken out use the dink and anchor in a safer place LOL

my current "project"!
Old 06-11-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Of course, I do anchor in shallow water all the time...and don't worry about it...but my boat's draft of 18" or so when the boards are up is a big help there.

Is your beastie a wing keel or a standard keel. If it is a wing keel, that can become a big issue.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-11-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

Fin, 5'11" pic is before barrier coat year before last.

Go'on! rub it in! 18" LOL

my current "project"!
Old 06-11-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
I've done many years with very shallow draft cats, and I ALWAYS anchor out a little. All it takes is one idiot wake to ruin the party if boats are grounded. Lots of damage, fast.

Generally, I would place one anchor ~ 100 feet out, attach it to the bow, and then place the other on the beach. Sometimes it was attached to the bow, some times the stern.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 06-11-2010

whroeder is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Fin, 5'11" pic is before barrier coat year before last.

Go'on! rub it in! 18" LOL
My Mac 26X draws 12" (ballast full) 9" (empty) Does that rub you the wrong way?
Old 06-11-2010
Move over Joan Rivers!

Mac = don't forget to add water. Guys! my thread is about anchoring not a wizzing contest over YOUR draft! LOL

my current "project"!
Old 06-11-2010

Silverstreak01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Mac = don't forget to add water. Guys! my thread is about anchoring not a wizzing contest over YOUR draft! LOL
Now I don't care who you are, Thats Funny