Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2010

stevemac00 is on a distinguished road
Reading Charts

I switched from NOAA ENC to Navionics and I'm confused on the little subscript depths. The software units are set to feet. It seems absurd they can be inches or fractional feet. I might think fractional fathoms but again, we're in feet as you can see around Sandy Cay in the Bahamas. So, what is going on?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Those are in decimal feet IIRC. The subscript is how many tenths of a foot deep it is...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 06-12-2010

stevemac00 is on a distinguished road
Thanks dog. That's what it appeared to be but I had difficulty imagining that kind of resolution - especially in deeper water. You can see a 78.7 there.
PSC 31 #84
Talisman
Old 06-12-2010

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemac00 View Post
I switched from NOAA ENC to Navionics and I'm confused on the little subscript depths. The software units are set to feet. It seems absurd they can be inches or fractional feet. I might think fractional fathoms but again, we're in feet as you can see around Sandy Cay in the Bahamas. So, what is going on?
Actually those charts are in METERS. Not fathoms & feet.
So if you are using charts that the depths are in Meters you will need to change your depthfinder to meters and know the draft of your vessel in meters.
Charts pending on the country are either in Metric or Fathoms/feet. And you need to be aware of which it is and think in those measurements.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 06-12-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd point out that using decimal feet to indicate depths is less than useful and more wishful thinking than anything else. Given all the variables involved in bottom sounding, water level, tides, and such, the idea that 1.2" of distance is actually measurable in any significant way is just ridiculous.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 06-12-2010
Telstar 28

Boasun—

i don't think so, given the depths on the NOAA ENC charts I have for the same area. If those are meters or fathoms, then the depths of the ENC charts are off by a factor of 3 or 6... which I tend to doubt.

Telstar 28
New England