Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Hate to say it, but it sounds like there are some fundamental trimming skills missing. It's probably time to get an experienced friend/club member/sailmaker out on the boat, or just spring for some on the water tutoring.

If you don't have a cunningham, get one rigged. In 12-15, vang sheeting, a fair amount of backstay on, with someone playing the traveller, you should have no problem sailing your boat.

Here's the general stuff for starters:

Main sheet controls (and vang) the leech twist.
Backstay will bend the mast and flatten the middle/top of the main.
Outhaul flattens the bottom of the main.
Cunningham (or more halyard tension) pulls the draft of the sail forward.
Traveller controls the angle of attack and can help to quickly depower the main in a puff by dropping the sail a bit to leeward as appropriate to control the amount of weather helm you have.

You'll get it figured out! Cheers!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-21-2010
B'Causeican

spec2 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the practical advice Puddinlegs.
Old 06-21-2010
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
Nope, thats ONLY true if the sailmaker constructed the sail exactly to meet 'class rules', etc. and he/she also actually measured that the 'bands' were 'accurate' and in compliance for the class, etc. Most sailmakers ignore 'the black bands' when they actually measure ...unless the client specifies 'racing sails' for racing. Stock or plain vanilla cruising cut sails are 'dimensioned' from 'stock OEM database' derived from the boat's designer info.
Not my experience at all...but if you race and your sails extend beyond the black bands that the designed specified and the builder installed, you can expect a visit to the ptotest room followed by a handicap penalty.
Old 06-21-2010

RichH will become famous soon enough
If you race and your boat has been 'admeasured' by the ratings committee, than the black bands position, etc. is VALIDATED.

Many boats have bands installed by the manufacturer or owner ... never 'admeasured'. just 'approximations'.
Old 06-21-2010
B'Causeican

DrB....I'm running a 135% Genoa. Running a full main with no head sail still results in some weather helm and skidding to leeward but far more manageable than running with a partial jib. So...you're definitely on to something. We've been running with the main reefed most of the time of late. Seems something has changed this year compared to last. I've got some experimenting to do. Will follow up on this thread next week.
Old 06-27-2010
B'Causeican

Thanks to all for your good guidance. Went out this weekend paying close attention to the advice provided. We began by setting up our main so the boat experienced little weather helm. I flattened our sail, tightened the back stay and outhaul far more than done previously. The boat slowly pointed into the wind in 7-12kts. Then we unfurled the jib. The boat performed very well and was far easier to sail. My first mate manned the main sheet and we stayed flat and fast most of the day under full sails.

Thanks again to everyone.
Old 06-27-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good to hear it Spec2...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-29-2010

MikeNRI is on a distinguished road
NB sailing

Spec,

I am in South Kingstown and looking at 110s & 99s. Would love to get your feedback on the model and sailing in Narragansett Bay.

Can you PM me or reply here?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-29-2010

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Not to be a wet blanket, but MikeNRI, you're asking beginning sailor their opinion of a boat that you are thinking of purchasing? What do you think they'll really be able to add? Not a hit at spec2 at all, but it just doesn't sound like a very wise idea. Better to find one sailed by an experienced sailor. You'll get much more out of your conversation as well as thoughts about aspects of the boat that neither you nor spec2 might even think to ask yet be critical to 'why' or 'how' the boat does certain things well and others, not so. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-30-2010
..........huh?..

Izzy1414 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinlegs View Post
Not to be a wet blanket, but MikeNRI, you're asking beginning sailor their opinion of a boat that you are thinking of purchasing? What do you think they'll really be able to add? Not a hit at spec2 at all, but it just doesn't sound like a very wise idea. Better to find one sailed by an experienced sailor. You'll get much more out of your conversation as well as thoughts about aspects of the boat that neither you nor spec2 might even think to ask yet be critical to 'why' or 'how' the boat does certain things well and others, not so. Just my 2 cents.
Not to throw a wet blanket on your wet blanket puddinglegs, but input from a less experienced sailor about a boat or sailing grounds may be very helpful to someone as long as the experience is well defined. MikeNRI might well want the perspective of a guy like spec2. He might be able to contribute some things that a person with more experience might not think of. Not all of the questions one would have about a boat or cruising grounds are technical after all. Besides, spec2, with 2 years experience, seemed to take some good advice (some of it yours) and put it to good use. That alone makes his input useful. I get your point about seeking advice from the most qualified and experienced people available and I agree. But to discourage someone from getting input from other perspectives as well is taking it a little too far. Maybe you're just suggesting MikeNRI include some more experienced advice in his research? No arguments there.

I'm not sure what Dickens are, but I think they may be important and I sure as hell don't want them scared out of me.......Izzy