Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2010

l_lym is on a distinguished road
RE: leaving the boat - way to cautious for that. We're not going anywhere unless we're as certain as can be that things are all OK.

The last point about looking for like boats is a good tip that I haven't paid too much attention to (other than not anchoring near power boats but that's a whole different topic). thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-14-2010

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_lym View Post
RE: leaving the boat - way to cautious for that. We're not going anywhere unless we're as certain as can be that things are all OK.

The last point about looking for like boats is a good tip that I haven't paid too much attention to (other than not anchoring near power boats but that's a whole different topic). thanks.
Actually anchoring near power boats is one of the more important considerations, they will swing differently to you both on tide and on wind influence. Try to anchor amongst like-minded boaters, stay away from multihulls as well . I hate it when I'm anchored and settled for the night and some dumbo launch anchors alongside me.

Just from a location perspective, try avoiding anchorage areas where the shore is a grassy meadow or gentle slope down to the water. The wind will come down across the grass/slope at a higher speed than if there were some trees or a cliff or some other form of protection. A beautiful valley down to the water will accelerate the wind speed way higher than the actual speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 07-14-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
LOL... anchoring near multihulls can find you aground... often the multihulls will anchor in fairly shallow areas that would be unwise for monohulls to try anchoring in...

Omatako's point about winds and having some kind of wind break shoreside is a good one... You'd be surprised how strongly the winds can build up in such conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Actually anchoring near power boats is one of the more important considerations, they will swing differently to you both on tide and on wind influence. Try to anchor amongst like-minded boaters, stay away from multihulls as well . I hate it when I'm anchored and settled for the night and some dumbo launch anchors alongside me.

Just from a location perspective, try avoiding anchorage areas where the shore is a grassy meadow or gentle slope down to the water. The wind will come down across the grass/slope at a higher speed than if there were some trees or a cliff or some other form of protection. A beautiful valley down to the water will accelerate the wind speed way higher than the actual speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-17-2010

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Before I anchor I always do a little depth recon along the nearest shore, especially if I'm anchoring with the wind blowing me away from shore. I like to take into consideration how close to shore I can get if there is a wind shift.
Old 07-20-2010

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinekinBayCD View Post
Before I anchor I always do a little depth recon along the nearest shore, especially if I'm anchoring with the wind blowing me away from shore. I like to take into consideration how close to shore I can get if there is a wind shift.
Is it only me . . . . . ?

I only anchor if the wind is blowing away from the shore. If the wind shifts on-shore I move. Right away.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 07-20-2010

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I only anchor if the wind is blowing away from the shore. If the wind shifts on-shore I move. Right away.
Did you consider his sailing area (Pennsylvania)?

He sails the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays. There is ALWAYS a lee shore in a Bay. You anchor in the creeks. On the other hand, a wind shift does not generally bring waves, since you are protected.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 07-20-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by donradclife View Post
IF the wind and current are well established and the same direction, its fairly easy to visualize where you will end up. In a crowded anchorage, sometimes the best place to drop is just off the stern of the boat to weather of biggest 'hole' you can find. Deeper water means everyone will swing more and you need a bigger hole.

If no wind or tide, wind is against the tide, or the tide is turning, its much more difficult to see where things will end up. You will have to find a bigger 'hole', and you may have to re-anchor in a few hours if things don't work out--DON'T LEAVE YOUR BOAT UNTIL THINGS STABILIZE.
That's a good advice. I would like to point out the importance of the established wind and current. If there is little wind or a weak current the weight of the chain may be enough to hold the boat and eventually the boat can be very near to its own anchor. If you drop the anchor, on settled weather, assuming the other boat has the chain more or less tight, you can have a big surprise.

Don said also : "DON'T LEAVE YOUR BOAT UNTIL THINGS STABILIZE" and that is very important. For not waiting, if the water is not too cold, I prefer to dive and have a look, just to be sure.

This is also a good advice: " sometimes the best place to drop is just off the stern of the boat to weather of biggest 'hole' you can find" but if you are in a tight cove and have very weak, or no wind, it can happen that the current and wind funneled around drive the boats in different directions, with disastrous consequences (boats touching at the mid of the night, tangled chains).

One final advice: Let your anchor go with your boat going very slowly backwards (the wind is enough, if any) till you deploy your chain, then put your engine on idle backwards till the boat stop and then put more engine till your chain is completely tight. You are digging your anchor, checking the quality and hold of the bottom and checking where your boat sits with a fully tight chain.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 07-20-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-20-2010
Barking Dog

KindOfBlue is on a distinguished road
I don't know if it's just me, but in a tight anchorage the neighboring boats look a lot closer when viewed from on my boat. After I set my hook, I like to get in my dinghy to take a look from a hundred feet away. What looked like 50 feet is really like 200 feet. Maybe it's just me..
Old 07-22-2010

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I try to pick a spot that would work regardless of the wind direction. Hauling up anchor in the middle of the night has its own issues. If the wind has shifted and is strong blowing toward a lee shore I'll just get up and stand watch. If I'm anticipating strong winds a night shifting or not I'll usually set the anchor alarm on a handheld GPS that I keep in the berth.
Old 07-22-2010
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_lym View Post
I find that my biggest problem in anchoring is choosing where to drop. All too often I can't forsee how other boats will move and easily imagine where we will end up.

We follow the general advice of motoring about the intended circle but I still find that we drop the anschor, lay out the intended rode but end up in a different spot than I had planned.

Any tips or thoughts would be appreciated.
I pick a comfortable gap between two boats and drop the anchor off the stern of any boat in front or, if no one in front, I want to finish between them.

That way if the boats move in similar ways then you should not come together.

[IMG]
From Hoot Mon
[/IMG]

X marks the drop spot.

Of course if you have somebody on 2 anchors set in a wide V or worse still a Bahamian set where they are 180 degrees you have a problem.