Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2010

AndreasNYC is on a distinguished road
Using a Diver to set an Anchor

Hello Everyone.

I am going to be sailing in good SCUBA locations. On previous live-aboard dive cruises I have participated in, the team used a diver to set the anchor in order to avoid damaging the coral.

They may have even tied off to some coral rock, I am not sure.

Does anyone out there have experience with this?

I am especially concerned about communicating with the diver to avoid injuring him.

Any ideas? experience?

Andreas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2010
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
Drop the anchor clear of coral, with the chain also clear, and do not drag the anchor a distance that will alter those conditions. If you are using an adequate anchor this is perfectly feasible.

You cannot (adequately) manually set an anchor, not above 4-5 kg anyway, and definitely not underwater.

In any case the diver should stay well clear of the anchor when any tension is being loaded on it, communication or not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.
Old 09-13-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Hi Andreas,
I firstly would say that 'one' would listen to Craig Smith about anchoring.

I think the only time to get a diver near your anchor is when you need them to retrieve it. Hopefully, you have chosen it and set it correctly (away from coral) and then it can be retrieved without a diver.

Anchors and chain on coral are a huge problem worldwide as they will destroy the coral.

Ok, saying all this, I hope you enjoy your boating and diving.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-13-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Setting an anchor underwater by hand, using a diver, is a ridiculous idea. Generally, a diver can check the set of an anchor, but doesn't have the strength or capability of setting one.

Also, tieing off to coral is a really stupid idea... and illegal in most places.

If you're in a location where you'd need a diver to "set" the anchor, then you really shouldn't be anchoring there. You need to anchor ONLY IN PLACES WHERE YOU HAVE ENOUGH CLEAR SPACE TO DO SO SAFELY.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-13-2010

trailblazer1229 is on a distinguished road
Perhaps some of the confusion of setting an anchor with a diver is in the crossover of sailing and diving. As I understand and as I have read about deep wreck diving, the divers dive and tie the dive boat into the wreck on occasion. And perhaps some sailors who scuba or snorkle "check" the anchor when on the hook. However, I have not heard of a diver swimming an anchor out and scuring it properly on the bottom. Being both a sailor and I diver, I can see how this would be inherently dangerous
Old 09-13-2010
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
I've been on a couple chartered boat dives in Hawaii. The charter dive boats there have mooring buoys set underwater about six feet. A crew member had to jump in with a mooring line and attach it to the mooring ring. The moorings were attached to coral with anchor bolts. I wonder if this is what the O.P. is referring to?
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 09-13-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ray—

That'd be tying off to a mooring, since the mooring buoy is PERMANENTLY INSTALLED... not anchoring.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-13-2010

casioqv is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't consider having another diver set my anchor, it doesn't make sense. I think it would be extremely dangerous at best, and a diver has no way to generate enough force to dig it in.

But if I'm diving from my boat, I'll usually dive by my anchor and inspect it- and sometimes pile rocks or dirt around it to improve it's holding power.
Old 09-13-2010
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Ray—

That'd be tying off to a mooring, since the mooring buoy is PERMANENTLY INSTALLED... not anchoring.
Yes, but the OP possibly did not know exactly what they where doing down there as he said the may be anchoring or tying off to coral. I can see how hooking to an underwater mooring buoy could look like setting an anchor or tying to coral to someone on the surface.

I had never heard of underwater moorings, but it makes sense in some dive locations, thanks for the input. If I ever see that, I will likely know what they are doing.

Thanks,
Bryan

Last edited by IslanderGuy; 09-13-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-13-2010

AndreasNYC is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

And sorry if my ignorance was annoying.

I think maybe I mis-understood what the diver was doing with/near the anchor, maybe he was just setting it.

Just trying to make sure I know everything I need to know.

I will not try to manually set the anchor.

thanks again

Andreas

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.