Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2010

nasomi is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info. Currently I'm looking at the charts online, and came up with similar mileage estimates. I wanted to make sure I had clearances through the bridges and enough depth all all the way through to be running a deep keel, but now that I've seen the charts I'm confident I have more than enough depth and clearance from bridges at the most extreme of tides.

Chart 12339
Really handy, though somewhat annoying to view.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2010

rdw is on a distinguished road
I am new to sailing but I have been thru thru Hell's Gate 4 times in sail boats. Three times it was slack turning to the direction we were going. The forth time we were at max flow against us. I was in a 46 foot boat with a good engine and plenty of fuel. Planning the best times makes it more pleasant to go thru but if you have enough power to overcome the current and the disturbed water does not freak you out, you do not have to set and wait for the best time. I got there early and decide to keep going without regret.
May be my inexperience is showing. Let me know.
rdw
Old 09-20-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Bridge heights are certainly not a problem...don't wander too far out of the east river channel..there are some shallow edges....and don't turn that full keel sideways to the current....keep the pointy end of the boat headed down river....When you are in the neighborhood we can get you some more details.....such as ducking behind governors island...instead of going out into the hudson after exiting the east river...unless, of course, you must get a close up picture of Lady Liberty!
Old 09-20-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdw View Post
I am new to sailing but I have been thru thru Hell's Gate 4 times in sail boats. Three times it was slack turning to the direction we were going. The forth time we were at max flow against us. I was in a 46 foot boat with a good engine and plenty of fuel. Planning the best times makes it more pleasant to go thru but if you have enough power to overcome the current and the disturbed water does not freak you out, you do not have to set and wait for the best time. I got there early and decide to keep going without regret.
May be my inexperience is showing. Let me know.
rdw

RDW, If you've got the power...by all means...go for it.....

For me, it's the difference of traveling at 10 + knots...or 0 to 1 knot....I'll wait for the 10...
Old 09-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Bridge heights are certainly not a problem...don't wander too far out of the east river channel..there are some shallow edges....and don't turn that full keel sideways to the current....keep the pointy end of the boat headed down river....When you are in the neighborhood we can get you some more details.....such as ducking behind governors island...instead of going out into the hudson after exiting the east river...unless, of course, you must get a close up picture of Lady Liberty!
You know, that never crossed my mind. I hadn't considered that I'd be that close to the statue of liberty. I've personally never seen her in person, and that may be an excellent opportunity.
Old 09-20-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Where are you planning on heading to after sandy hook. The next inlet safe to travel in is Manesquan. If you need to hole up and stop near the hook forgo horshoe cove and anchor another 3 milers south behind the breakwater at Atlanric highlands....you will sleep better I promise.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-21-2010
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road
It is a beautiful trip. I recently did that route during an ASA course. The other couple on board are bloggers - if you want to see some of the sights try this link

Last edited by ottos; 09-21-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Old 09-21-2010

jjablonowski is on a distinguished road
Down the flume to the Battery

Eight minute video: YouTube - Sail 4 NYC Part 1.wmv

It's U.N. General Assembly meeting week in NYC. Possible security perimeters along East River.

Link to graphical display of currents, adjustable by time: http://hudson.dl.stevens-tech.edu/ma...ncontrol.shtml
Old 09-21-2010

cmendoza is on a distinguished road
I have to agree with chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
... forgo horshoe cove and anchor another 3 milers south behind the breakwater at Atlanric highlands....you will sleep better I promise...
BTW, if you're continuing south, it's a nice overnight run to Cape May from Sandy Hook.

Keep us posted.

...you may not be able to control the wind,
but you can adjust your sails..._/)
Old 09-21-2010

The plan at the moment was to head south and into Little Egg Inlet and hook north. There's a marina there that I am liking, and worst case scenario my buddy lives there and has a 45' slip behind his house, or if his boat is there, there's transients in the immediate vicinity.