Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2010
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road
tecchnically the sailboat is still in his bearth untill he clears the end of his finger pier and begins turning into the channel so the vessel in the channel has the right of way reguardless of how you want to describe it according to the rules of the road "Vessels leaving a dock, slip, tie-up or mooring shall yield the right-of-way to all vessels approaching" doesnt matter if they are entering the marina or leaving they are in the channel according to the uscg rules of the road

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2010
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
One day your friend is going to open his big fat mouth and have all his teeth knocked out of his stupid, arrogant, selfish face. That would be a sight that would warm my soul and I would actually cheer!!!!
Old 09-24-2010
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbee View Post
Around these parts, we usually stay out of the way of barges.
lmao, this is true, and if that "boat" classifies as a barge, then S/V definitely needed to yield.
Old 09-24-2010

RockhopperSV is on a distinguished road
Just to be clear, the regulation that Newhaul quotes only applies in Ohio, apparently. There is nothing in the International or Inland rules about requirements leaving a slip, except the requirement in the Inland rules to sound "one prolonged blast" when leaving a dock or berth, and it does not specify direction (pulling out forward or backing out).

That said, it would seem that the applicable Inland rule is that when power-driven vessels are in sight and crossing at a distance within one-half mile, they will come to agreement before engaging, either by light, radio, sound or other method of communication. I am not sure that waving the one finger greeting afterwards counts .
Old 09-24-2010

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
If you are departing a berth/finger pier, the smart thing to do is to WAIT for the traffic to pass by before you toss off your lines. Unless you are skilled in holding position tween two piers on a windy day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 09-24-2010

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl762 View Post
One day your friend is going to open his big fat mouth and have all his teeth knocked out of his stupid, arrogant, selfish face. That would be a sight that would warm my soul and I would actually cheer!!!!
well that seems about as cro magnon as my buddy's childish outburst... but anyhow TX regs for inland waterways simply state 'all USCG' rules of the road apply. In those USCG regs i could not find anything regarding entering/exiting a slip or moorage. I guess its a free for all! the wild west!
a little common sense and courtesy were all that were required.

the only incident ive seen in the marina was when a guy attempted to sail out of his slip in 15-20's with gusts to 30-35... after making the channel he (and his son? grandson?) realized it was a bad idea so attempted to come back it. lined up to the slip, before the dropped sail got hit with a gust and came in so hot they crashed the bow into the dock.
i see the same guys in the parking lot the next day, same conditions. im thinking 'man, they're not gonna try this again?!?'

then i saw them unloading the scuba gear to asses the damage...

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 09-24-2010
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road
i will try one last time this is what i found

The Ohio River is considered to be "federal waters" and boaters need to comply with all U.S. Coast Guard requirements
Ohio River Boating: Operating Regulations
Vessels leaving a dock, slip, tie-up or mooring shall yield the right-of-way to all vessels approaching.

Old 09-24-2010

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickMick View Post
well that seems about as cro magnon as my buddy's childish outburst... but anyhow TX regs for inland waterways simply state 'all USCG' rules of the road apply. In those USCG regs i could not find anything regarding entering/exiting a slip or moorage. I guess its a free for all! the wild west!
a little common sense and courtesy were all that were required.

the only incident ive seen in the marina was when a guy attempted to sail out of his slip in 15-20's with gusts to 30-35... after making the channel he (and his son? grandson?) realized it was a bad idea so attempted to come back it. lined up to the slip, before the dropped sail got hit with a gust and came in so hot they crashed the bow into the dock.
i see the same guys in the parking lot the next day, same conditions. im thinking 'man, they're not gonna try this again?!?'

then i saw them unloading the scuba gear to asses the damage...
This is the reason you don't pass close to the pier heads, like some idiots do.
By staying out in mid stream you will be able to stay clear of the bumpkins that dart out into the channel without looking. This is akin to backing out of your driveway and hitting a car that is driving by on your street.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.