Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2010

bruceyp is on a distinguished road
Pt. Pleasant Canal, NJ- Local Knowledge

I'm helping a friend bring his boat to Toms River tomorrow. We will try to time it to enter the Manasquan inlet just at before Slack tide. The winds are forecast to be 10-15 gusts to 20 from the Northeast. Any comments from locals about this scenario?
Thanks,
BP
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2010

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
What does your "Coast Pilot" say for that area??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 10-02-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Hi Brucey,

My 2010 eldridge is on the boat. But my strategy for the Point pleasant Canal has always been to try to hit it either at slack, or with a little current against me. My reasoning is that I don't want anything pushing me toward the two bridges. You want to look at the times of current changes.

The times of the current changes in the point pleasant canal are based on the currents at the entrance to delaware bay.

If you hit the inlet at slack, you should be ok at the canal, but check your Eldridge.

Check the swells outside the inlet and see if they are pushing you one way or the other and adjust your approach to compensate, keep a firm hand on the helm...once inside the breakwater it usually settles down.

Watch the current around the railroad bridge in the same way...line yourself up don't get sideways to the current and apply power as needed...

Traffic in the canal should be down somewhat this time of year...it can get lumpy in there in the summer...the earlier you can hit it the better...

Stay in the channel behind Bay head and until you get to the mantolokin bridge the water is skinny there....after the bridge you have a little more wiggle room, but don't stray too far outside the channel if you draw more than 4 foot. There's shoals around the mouth of the Tom's too..

Have a good trip!

Last edited by Tempest; 10-02-2010 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-03-2010

bruceyp is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the input, Temp. We went to the boat this morning but the owner opted out due to the conditions. No need to white knuckle it for 6 hours today. There will be better days.
Boasun,
Can I get that info online?
B
Old 10-03-2010

Brucey,

Probably a wise choice..Small Craft Advisory today...

The coast pilot is here:

United States Coast Pilot®

United States Coast Pilot®
Old 10-04-2010
Señor Member

ottos is on a distinguished road
Glad you waited.

The currents through the canal are 'impressive'. I went through for the first time last month. It was the closest thing I've done to white water rafting in a while - and we weren't that far from slack. Pay attention to the current prediction for the canal - it was far worse that the inlet current. If there is any current, you are pretty much committed once you enter the canal. Here is NOAA's link for the current table.

Note the warning - "Turbulence with hazardous current speeds of 6 to 7 knots have been reported near the bridges in the canal. Extreme caution should be exercised. "

I couldn't agree more.

Last edited by ottos; 10-04-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 10-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottos View Post
Glad you waited.

The currents through the canal are 'impressive'. I went through for the first time last month. It was the closest thing I've done to white water rafting in a while - and we weren't that far from slack. Pay attention to the current prediction for the canal - it was far worse that the inlet current. If there is any current, you are pretty much committed once you enter the canal. Here is NOAA's link for the current table.

Note the warning - "Turbulence with hazardous current speeds of 6 to 7 knots have been reported near the bridges in the canal. Extreme caution should be exercised. "

I couldn't agree more.

This is why, I suggest entering the canal with a little current against you.
It's much easier to hold yourself into a current under power while you wait for the bridge to open than try to reverse against the current that is pushing toward the bridge.

Check the times of current changes..in eldridge. Don't enter unless the current is either slack..or just turning against you. Radio the bridge to let them know you are approaching and will need a lift...before you enter..wait for them to acknowledge!! They may tell you to proceed and radio them as you get closer, but there have been times when the bridges have had issues.

I wouldn't enter, get near the bridge and then call...to find out I have to wait a long time for an opening.

IMO this is not like the east river..where current is your friend..and you can double your speed over the ground.....There's not alot of room in there to turn around especially when traveling with the current...
Old 10-04-2010

jnarmellino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
"Turbulence with hazardous current speeds of 6 to 7 knots have been reported near the bridges in the canal. Extreme caution should be exercised. "
You should have seen the currents before they built the new bridges. We had a twin-screw 28' sportfisherman forty-five years ago and you had to crank her up to 3000 RPM to make any headway against the max current running through the old north bridge. And I was told that the old south bridge was worse! At one time, there was a sunken cabin cruiser tied to the side of the canal, just the bow showing -- much more effective than an "extreme caution" sign. LOL

Old 10-04-2010

Now that we've scared the bejesus out of everyone...

It is much better at this time of year, when you don't have 100 power-boats moving in both directions plowing through the current, churning up wakes in every direction. If you hit it right, with little traffic, it's very managable. As with anything, the right timing, prudence and caution go a long way to make the trip more pleasant...I've gone through in the fall, when I've been the only vessel transiting.
Old 10-04-2010

jnarmellino is on a distinguished road
Tempest has got it right. Since they built the vertical lift bridges the canal has been much much better. At or near slack tide it's actually a very pleasant transit. Nowadays it's the traffic and not the current that can be problematic.