Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2010

Tempest is on a distinguished road
It probably doesn't need to be mentioned, but heaving-to is a useful tactic in many situations. It's not just a storm tactic. Some folks have mentioned heaving-to while waiting for the sun to come up to enter a harbor.
I use it all the time to stop for lunch if I have room, rather than anchor.
If we get a fish on, I'll heave-to.

In less than storm tactics, I'll always furl the genoa to the point that it doesn't rest on the spreaders or shrouds before I heave-to

It is my preferred method for taking in or shaking out reefs on the mainsail.
especially single-handed. Even with a crew, it's less stressful to simply heave-to to take a reef.

In heavy weather, it would seem logical that, at the point that you decide to heave-to, you already have at least a double reefed main or a storm tri-sail rigged and a storm jib. Unless it is a quick passing squall. In which case, I douse the jib...and employ the use of the engine with a deeply reefed main to keep me headed to wind.

Having the Storm -tri and the storm jib bagged an on deck ready to deploy, and then deploying them sooner rather than later is wise. I remember waiting too long , and watching a crew member get dunked several times up to his waist at the bow in the gulf stream..( at least the water was warm)

I like the tactic, and use it all the time...Never had to use it in a storm, came close only once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.