Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2010

Hewie is on a distinguished road
Motor Sailing Question

We were sailing on a chartered Beneteau 37 last week in ~12knts of wind beating to windward at about 5 knots. We were running late, so I started the diesel to push us up to hull speed (7kts). My buddy told me this is bad for the engine. As long as the intake doesn't cavitate, is there anything wrong with this practice?

Thanks,
Dave
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-28-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
It depends on the engine.. some engines have limited permitted heel angles - though any marine engine worth its salt should have considerable tolerance there.

We strive to keep the heel off the boat while running the engine.. just because. But we know many others who 'motorsail' as much as anything, in virtually all conditions.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-28-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
I don't think so. Why does your friend think it is bad for the engine?

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-28-2010

Hewie is on a distinguished road
Some babble about the variations of forces from the water on the prop can damage the transmission.
Dave
Old 11-28-2010

That makes no sense.
Old 11-28-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
I have over 5,000 hours on my basic maintenance and trouble free Yanmar with motor sailing being a very common practice. I also motor in currents which would simulate the same effect without the heel. 'sounds like this guy is among those that would also think that drafts cause colds or reading in dim light can damage your eyes! Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 11-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
It depends on the engine.. some engines have limited permitted heel angles - though any marine engine worth its salt should have considerable tolerance there.

We strive to keep the heel off the boat while running the engine.. just because. But we know many others who 'motorsail' as much as anything, in virtually all conditions.
I was worried about that and I have asked to a Volvo-Penta authorized mechanic. He said that the engine is prepared to work with any reasonable heel angle. My engine had more than 2200 hours and was just fine. Many times I had done what Hewie has done, sometimes close to the wind and that means at least 15/20ļ heel.

Regards

Paulo
Old 11-28-2010

tomaz_423 will become famous soon enough
Just make sure that:
- water intake is sucking in water, not air
- oil pump is sucking in oil and not air.
If you have normal instrument for the engine you would get alarm the moment your oil pump will suck air (low oil pressure alarm).
If you are not getting enough cooling water you would get high temperature alarm before you would ruin your impeller or engine.
If this happens reduce heel.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beneteau Oceanis 473

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

full time cruising
Old 11-28-2010
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
A friend had a Laser 28 with a Bukh engine... running it heeled hard on one tack (but not the other) dumped all the oil into the bilge.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 11-29-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Unless you were heeled way over...I don't see a problem with motorsailing at hull speed, other than possibly running the engine at WOT RPM for too long or wasting a lot of fuel... since hull speed is quite inefficient in terms of fuel consumption.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.