Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2003

jbarros is on a distinguished road
easy way to change headsails?

Hi all.

Had a blast today. 20 knot winds, and 8-10 foot seas, in a 19 foot boat (16 at the waterline) we were rail in the water, and beet my best time around our local oil rig by about 1/2. =)

but half way out there I gave up on using the 150, as we were constantly on the verge of taking on water, and the winds were coming up, so we headed up into irons as best we could, and I went forward and brough down the headsail, spread out on my butt and braced agianst as many things as possible, unhanking and untying etc. We got the 110 up, and had a blast, but still the sail change wasnt exavtly fun.

So, whats the easy way to do that?

(and also, whats the name of the place that reconditions sails? my 150 still has perfect shape, but it''s starting to get a bit thin, and if I can fix her rather than replace her, I''d like to.)

Thanks

-- James
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

A lot depends on the boat, it is often easiest to hank on the smaller jib below the genoa and then drop the genoa on a beat then unhanking quickly while still beating. The filled sails will hold the boat on a pretty even heel angle. Another option is to add a downhaul that is tied to the jib halyard, passes through a block at the jib tack fitting and then runs back to the cockpit. You are then able to pull down the jib from the cockpit.

The place that reconditions sails is called a sail loft. If you sail is actually becoming ''thin'' it is shot and there is nothing that can be done with it except replace the thin panels with new cloth and that is so close to the cost of a new sail on a small boat that it rarely makes sense do.

Jeff
Old 05-19-2003

maestro is on a distinguished road

jib downhaul.... I just installed one on my boat and it works great. I can lower the headsail from my cockpit and then one of my crew can switch headsails.
Old 05-19-2003

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough

The motion of the boat is much easier if you keep her moving under reduced sail while you work on the foredeck. I would bear off the wind, luff the jib and ease the mainsheet, set the tiller tamer to steer the boat on a course forward of a beam reach, and let the boat continue sailing slowly on the main while I change the jib. (Using the tiller tamer is dicey. It''s much easier if you have crew or an electronic self-steerer to steer the boat.)