SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/)
-   -   Very unseamanlike incident this morning (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/71190-very-unseamanlike-incident-morning.html)

Bilgewater 01-09-2011 03:03 PM

Very unseamanlike incident this morning

Thought I'd share a little story that happened this morning.
OK, first off I'm not telling this story on the web. But remember the story of the guy that survived for a long period of time floating around the ocean in a large fish tote after loosing his boat. I can't find that story through any of my Googling :confused: . In any case, I had been curious about the stability of that tote with no ballast.

Well...this morning two of us made the same unseamanlike mistake at the same time resulting in my first hand experience floating in a fish tote with a makeshift oar (piece of broken and rotten wood plank). So, I just have to say that these totes or at least this tote was very very unstable with just me in it. I didn't try sitting down low because I had to row but I think it would have likely made a big difference. In any case, even in calm seas it was a little tipsy to say the least but it did work and everything worked out in the end and I did get the boat back. :p

jrd22 01-09-2011 03:10 PM

Please tell me that someone got pictures:-)) Glad it worked out OK Steve.

Faster 01-09-2011 03:12 PM

How was the water temp???? Did you stay dry?

Omatako 01-09-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seayalatermoonglow (Post 684774)
Well...this morning two of us made the same unseamanlike mistake at the same time

I'm more keen to hear about this . . .:D

Bilgewater 01-09-2011 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrd22 (Post 684778)
Please tell me that someone got pictures:-)) Glad it worked out OK Steve.

No pictures John, thank goodness for that. But in all honesty we all make mistakes and for me, maybe more than the average. A photo would have been good for posterity/validity purposes. At least I got my mistake over with so early in the year. Now I can start with a nice clean slate for the rest of the year.

Bilgewater 01-09-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 684779)
How was the water temp???? Did you stay dry?

Yes, I stayed perfectly dry. I was picked up by the concerned skipper/friend of another small skiff before having to go very far. :)

Bilgewater 01-09-2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omatako (Post 684800)
I'm more keen to hear about this . . .:D

Well OK I'll give you a bit more info just so no one else makes the same mistake, although I doubt very much anyone here would be so stupid as to do this. :(

There were two of us in a 22' aluminum centre console open power skiff...I was driving behind the console and the other guy was ahead of me. When we got to a float which had something on it that sparked our interest very much, we both stepped off with our back to the boat. Needless to say, no one tied up the boat and the rest of the story needs no words but me being the driver, I can't help feel that somehow in some way I may have been at fault. :eek: ...lesson learned.

The float had a tote on it and some old lumber. So it was either go swimming or use the tote, I chose the tote.

souljour2000 01-09-2011 08:17 PM

Confession is good for the soul...thanks for owning up...we all make stupid f'ing mistakes...(SFM syndrome). You survived your latest one..hope I survive my next one...(hope you survive your next one too and those reading do too)...Once again....I think all of us admire and appreciate your honesty....be safe out there and turn the page...

Bilgewater 01-09-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by souljour2000 (Post 684882)
Confession is good for the soul...thanks for owning up...we all make stupid f'ing mistakes...(SFM syndrome). You survived your latest one..hope I survive my next one...(hope you survive your next one too and those reading do too)...Once again....I think all of us admire and appreciate your honesty....be safe out there and turn the page...

Very well said and thanks. Both of us involved spend more time floating around than glued to the land, so although neither of us were in any real danger out of our control (this time), I think complacency must have played a role somewhere here. Turn the page as you say, but remember the past.

jrd22 01-09-2011 09:12 PM

Probably just as well there aren't any pictures, the one I've got in my mind is priceless! I could see this turning into an annual event in Campbell river, fish tote races:-))