Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2011
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
Very unseamanlike incident this morning

Thought I'd share a little story that happened this morning.
OK, first off I'm not telling this story on the web. But remember the story of the guy that survived for a long period of time floating around the ocean in a large fish tote after loosing his boat. I can't find that story through any of my Googling . In any case, I had been curious about the stability of that tote with no ballast.

Well...this morning two of us made the same unseamanlike mistake at the same time resulting in my first hand experience floating in a fish tote with a makeshift oar (piece of broken and rotten wood plank). So, I just have to say that these totes or at least this tote was very very unstable with just me in it. I didn't try sitting down low because I had to row but I think it would have likely made a big difference. In any case, even in calm seas it was a little tipsy to say the least but it did work and everything worked out in the end and I did get the boat back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-09-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Please tell me that someone got pictures:-)) Glad it worked out OK Steve.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 01-09-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
How was the water temp???? Did you stay dry?

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-09-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by seayalatermoonglow View Post
Well...this morning two of us made the same unseamanlike mistake at the same time
I'm more keen to hear about this . . .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 01-09-2011
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
Please tell me that someone got pictures:-)) Glad it worked out OK Steve.
No pictures John, thank goodness for that. But in all honesty we all make mistakes and for me, maybe more than the average. A photo would have been good for posterity/validity purposes. At least I got my mistake over with so early in the year. Now I can start with a nice clean slate for the rest of the year.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 01-09-2011
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
How was the water temp???? Did you stay dry?
Yes, I stayed perfectly dry. I was picked up by the concerned skipper/friend of another small skiff before having to go very far.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 01-09-2011
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
I'm more keen to hear about this . . .
Well OK I'll give you a bit more info just so no one else makes the same mistake, although I doubt very much anyone here would be so stupid as to do this.

There were two of us in a 22' aluminum centre console open power skiff...I was driving behind the console and the other guy was ahead of me. When we got to a float which had something on it that sparked our interest very much, we both stepped off with our back to the boat. Needless to say, no one tied up the boat and the rest of the story needs no words but me being the driver, I can't help feel that somehow in some way I may have been at fault. ...lesson learned.

The float had a tote on it and some old lumber. So it was either go swimming or use the tote, I chose the tote.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse

Last edited by Bilgewater; 01-09-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-09-2011

souljour2000 is on a distinguished road
Confession is good for the soul...thanks for owning up...we all make stupid f'ing mistakes...(SFM syndrome). You survived your latest one..hope I survive my next one...(hope you survive your next one too and those reading do too)...Once again....I think all of us admire and appreciate your honesty....be safe out there and turn the page...

Last edited by souljour2000; 01-09-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-09-2011
Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by souljour2000 View Post
Confession is good for the soul...thanks for owning up...we all make stupid f'ing mistakes...(SFM syndrome). You survived your latest one..hope I survive my next one...(hope you survive your next one too and those reading do too)...Once again....I think all of us admire and appreciate your honesty....be safe out there and turn the page...
Very well said and thanks. Both of us involved spend more time floating around than glued to the land, so although neither of us were in any real danger out of our control (this time), I think complacency must have played a role somewhere here. Turn the page as you say, but remember the past.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 01-09-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Probably just as well there aren't any pictures, the one I've got in my mind is priceless! I could see this turning into an annual event in Campbell river, fish tote races:-))

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse