Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011
paj637

paj637 is on a distinguished road
Saw a narwhal with its 8 foot spike through the periscope of a submarine under the ice back in 1989. That was really cool. Now that was cruising! Courtesy of the US Navy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-27-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Then there was the floating lumberyard that we passed through last spring. Apparently, a lot of wood, 2x4s, 4x4s, 2x8s, etc., washed overboard from a ship and we spent the better part of a day dodging lumber.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-27-2011

capttb is on a distinguished road
Almost forgot to add, day before yesterday we watched a pod of Risso's dolphins having group sex.
Old 01-27-2011
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
One June night while on a night sail from Boston to P-Town through a light fog, there were phosphorescent jelly fish everywhere... It was mesmerizing to watch them glow especially bright in our wake.

We were motoring (no wind) and I was at the helm at about 02:00. I noticed a green spark approaching us from dead ahead. At first I thought it was a cinder, blowing in the wind, but it was green. it looked to be about the size of a humming bird, and was the phosphorescent color of the jellyfish. What ever it was, it buzzed through our shrouds, then chased us for about a minute. It would fall away from our stern, then loop and approach us again. It was NOT a firefly, because it was way too big, and it didn't flash, but glowed steadily.

My watch mate and I looked at each other with a "WTF?" expression. We both saw it, and talked about it for a while. We never figured out what it was.

And, I know what you're thinking - NO drugs of any kind were involved...
Old 01-27-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBilll View Post
Horizontal hail. I don't know how unusual this is, but I hope to only see this once. (Like getting pasted in the face with a bucket of gravel).
We had that once mid-race - coupled with 40+ knot gusts and 50 foot visibility. Lasted about 90 seconds, felt like a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Suuuuure....

Brightly lit squid fishing fleet in the middle of the night off the Oregon Coast

A lunar eclipse that really had us confused - we didn't know it was due...

Last summer a shooting star/meteorite that left a comet-like trail that lasted several minutes.. the glare was like a searchlight.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-27-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Never crossed our minds...
Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
One June night while on a night sail from Boston to P-Town through a light fog, there were phosphorescent jelly fish everywhere... It was mesmerizing to watch them glow especially bright in our wake.

We were motoring (no wind) and I was at the helm at about 02:00. I noticed a green spark approaching us from dead ahead. At first I thought it was a cinder, blowing in the wind, but it was green. it looked to be about the size of a humming bird, and was the phosphorescent color of the jellyfish. What ever it was, it buzzed through our shrouds, then chased us for about a minute. It would fall away from our stern, then loop and approach us again. It was NOT a firefly, because it was way too big, and it didn't flash, but glowed steadily.

My watch mate and I looked at each other with a "WTF?" expression. We both saw it, and talked about it for a while. We never figured out what it was.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-27-2011
Chesapeake Sailor

GeorgeDog is on a distinguished road
Stood right on the north (rotational) pole and watched the sunset. Spirals slowly down, gets bisected by the horizon, then gone. The days don't get shorter up there, just one "day" per year, and one "night." Took a bit for us to realize it was really gone for good since all of our previous experience taught us it would poke up again, Funny how the brain works. Once reality sunk in we set off in a hurry for the trek across the ice to the boat. Flashlights might have been a good idea if we'd thought of them.

There was also a seal on that trip that followed us around like a dog. He/she/it seemed to like listening to the boat with its ear. Then it would pop up and excitedly bark "ahrrt, ahrrt, ahrrt!" We didn't have enough food on that trip so there was talk of eating him. Instead we shared our saltines.

How many submariners are on this forum anyway?

1968 Hinckley Pilot 35, Audra.
(c) Joe McCary.
Old 01-27-2011

genieskip is on a distinguished road
A couple of years ago while cruising in Maine I was at the helm on a beautiful, lazy afternoon when a whale, easily the size of my 40 footer, sounded within a boatlength of us. There had been no noted spotting of whales before that so it came as a complete surprise. After I recovered my breath I looked all over but couldn't see any sign of any other whales and didn't see that one sound again. I did, however, have to change my diapers.
Old 01-28-2011
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
USS Bluefish, SSN 675 1982-1986
Old 01-28-2011
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesailor View Post
USS Bluefish, SSN 675 1982-1986
I was puzzled by the above post, so I Googled it;

Here is what I found;
[EDIT - WARNING: following the above link generated a "YOU HAVE WON..." window, which I believe is a phishing scheme. Proceed at your own risk. I copied the image to my photobucket account, so that is safe.]
Quote:
USS BLUEFISH was the 27th STURGEON - class attack submarine. Both decommissioned and stricken from the Navy list on May 31, 1996, the USS BLUEFISH is since then berthed at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard at Bremerton, Wash., awaiting entry in the Navy's Nuclear Powered Ship and Submarine Recycling Program Recycling there. The BLUEFISH was last homeported in Norfolk, Va.

General Characteristics: Awarded: July 15, 1966
Keel Laid: March 13, 1968
Launched: January 10, 1970
Commissioned: January 8, 1971
Decommissioned: May 31, 1996
Builder: Electric Boat Division of General Dynamics Corporation, Groton, CT.
Propulsion system: one S5W2 nuclear reactor
Propellers: one
Length: 292 feet (89 meters)
Beam: 31.7 feet (9.65 meters)
Draft: 29.2 feet (8.9 meters)
Displacement: Surfaced: approx. 4,250 tons
Submerged: approx. 4,700 tons
Speed: Surfaced: approx. 15 knots
Submerged: approx. 30 knots
Armament: four 533 mm torpedo tubes for Mk-48 torpedoes, Harpoon, Tomahawk, and SUBROC missiles, ability to lay mines
Crew: 12 Officers, 95 Enlisted

I would still like to know the circumstances, but at least I know what the post refers to.

Last edited by eherlihy; 01-28-2011 at 08:47 AM. Reason: fixed image - added warning

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.