Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2011

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road
The Green Flash: "As light from the Sun passes through the atmosphere it is refracted______"
See Bowditch pp 3820, weather elements.
Yes, it is a real deal.

Dick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
So the wife and I are cruising back from Block Island in the fog with about a 15 knott wind, beam reach, 1 mile visability. We Hit the "Race at a great time...head up Fishers Sound...she goes below to make lunch then wham.

All of the Chartplotter instruments start doing summmersaults, digital ST60 depth finder goes from 100 ft to 2 ft to 22 to 222 to 5 and looks like one of the wheels on an Atlantic City slot machine turning. Wind instrument digital of course is doing the same. Autopilot which has a fluxgate compuss setting its heading decides I am heading North... then East...then North but never West or Southwest which is where I was heading as the wind is still on the beam and has not switched at all.

I call my wife up from below and ask her to bring a pocketnife which has a compass in it to verify what my binnnacle compass is reading.

All of a sudden we hear this loud claxon....and out of the fog appears a sub....big sub....bigger than life.

No signal on the radar...which you couldnt read anyway as it was still doing flips on the chartplotter.

Now I knew New London/ Groton was where they come from and they must stay on the surface there until the 100 fathom line I am told, but it was still a shock to see him appear so close out of the fog. And why did all my electronic instruments go besserk. ( I understand they ubnder degaussing and that it is a large chunk of metal so it might affect a compass....but why the electronics.

He scared the crap out of us...but we did get a good picture as he pulled away and then the electronics went back to normal.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by Faster; 01-28-2011 at 09:06 PM. Reason: fixed pic
Old 01-29-2011

SailingStNick is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SailingStNick
Now that's a cool story!
Old 01-29-2011
Chesapeake Sailor

GeorgeDog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
All of the Chartplotter instruments start doing summmersaults, ...

All of a sudden we hear this loud claxon....

No signal on the radar...which you couldnt read anyway as it was still doing flips on the chartplotter....

And why did all my electronic instruments go besserk. ( I understand they ubnder degaussing and that it is a large chunk of metal so it might affect a compass....but why the electronics...
My best guess guess as an electrical engineer and ex-submariner is that your instruments were picking up interference from the sub's radar. If so, improved grounding and elimination of ground loops (Google it) would reduce your susceptibility but it's probably not necessary unless you experience other problems.

Klaxons on a submarine are used to signal a dive which I'm sure was not happening here. The only likely alternative I can think of in this scenario would be the collision alarm. Perhaps you startled them more than they startled you.

If

1968 Hinckley Pilot 35, Audra.
(c) Joe McCary.
Old 01-29-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Chris,

Thanks for the explaination......we have had one other encouter with a sub....but it was near Annapolis, and was a pretty small one. My best sailing friend...also a memever of MYC was a commander of a LA Class Boomer and lived in Noank Conn, stationed at New Groton for 8 years. He has told me many stories about them.

I admire the men/ women who do this to protect our country.

Maybe we did startle them. As you can see by the plicture we were quite close...and she was not a small sub.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 01-29-2011

DustyM is on a distinguished road
GeorgeDog, you guys must have been a LONG way from the boat if the sunset caught you by surprise, considering twilight lasts about a month up there.

And I wish you'd have taken some pictures of that California Sea Lion you describe at 90*N.

/Damned biologists
//Spent 5 years on the ice studying seals
Old 01-29-2011
Chesapeake Sailor

GeorgeDog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyM View Post
GeorgeDog, you guys must have been a LONG way from the boat if the sunset caught you by surprise, considering twilight lasts about a month up there.
I've wondered over the years why my impression at the time was of a fast fading light. It could have been as simple as the light levels started dropping quickly when the last of the sun dropped below the horizon and we thought we had to hustle. Since there was nobody in the group with experience in polar sunsets (and I mean right at the pole) we wouldn't have known that it would be twilight for longer than the hour you get back home. We learned some other things the hard way when we first hit the ice do to lack of experience (not suitable for discussion here). While memories are sketchy at this point the one thing I remember clearly is the sudden realization that the sun was not coming back when the last bit winked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyM View Post
And I wish you'd have taken some pictures of that California Sea Lion you describe at 90*N.
/Damned biologists
//Spent 5 years on the ice studying seals
I don't have any in my pictures but I'm in contact with some of the guys over on Facebook so I'll ask if they do. One of them did post a pile of pictures of that trip and I kept wondering how come I wasn't in a single shot. Months later I was going through a shoebox and found the originals. I completely forgot I had taken the pictures and given him copies.

California Sea Lion seems like a fancy name for something that looked like an ordinary seal but I'll take your word for it. He was incredibly tame though. He walked (is that what you call it?) up the back of the boat and was perfectly happy hanging out with the crew topsides. The best part was his expression when he'd put his ear to the deck and listen.

Of course this was the cruise that we ran out of coffee two weeks after leaving port for a 70 day plus mission so it's entirely possible that all of this was a hallucination.

1968 Hinckley Pilot 35, Audra.
(c) Joe McCary.
Old 01-30-2011

HVVega is on a distinguished road
Strange sightings at sea

Great thread thanks for starting it. OK here we go:

"A Buoy floating in the middle of the atlantic Ocean. No idea what harbor it once guarded or came from".

I was skippering one of the tall ships in the 1982 tall ship races when one morning the deck watch reports that we were arriving at the marker. Hummmm .... thinks I, were in the middle of no where here. We were well off the Florida coast about the level of Cape Kennedy. Went up on deck and sure enough there was a bright red - lit - buoy with a big number 4 on it around three stories tall about 100 meters off our port side. We watched it for a while then I marked its position to report it later. Wonder if it was the same one? I'll post a few more over the next few days.
Old 01-30-2011

seafrontiersman is on a distinguished road
Mirages in wintertime near shore can make a hilly headand seem like the Rocky Mountains and make large ships in the distance seem like little toy boats.

On New Years day I was sailing in the St. Johns River just below Green Cove springs and the bridge going across the river appeared to dip UNDER the water!

Wicked cool!
Old 02-22-2011

mcavacas is on a distinguished road
This past fall we enjoyed a nice sunset in Rendevous Bay, St John, USVI. After the sun went down a small squall rolled in. When it passed a couple minutes later a moonbow lingered for about 20-30 seconds. It was just like a rainbow, except you couldn't make out any of the colors, just a perfect white ribbon hanging over the moon.

A few days before that we passed through a squall and the mist around the boat created a rainbow that started at the bow and end at the stern. Every time we tried to touch it, it would move just a little farther away, absolutely wild!