Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2011

MC1 is on a distinguished road
Storm tactics - "Handling Storms at Sea" - Hal Roth's book

(Re-posting from the "Forereaching" thread so as not to hijack that discussion . . . )

Has anyone read Hal's book on handling storms? Comments? . . .

By far the best analysis of storm tactics I've seen thus far (and I've studied this extensively) is Hal Roth's book, Handling Storms at Sea. He discusses at length the situations where each technique should be used and their strengths and limitations, including applicability to different types of boats and different sea conditions. Techniques discussed include heaving to, forereaching, lying ahull, running off, use of parachutes (including standard deployment vs. Pardey method), use of drogues (including series vs. others), etc. etc.. He gives numerous success/fail examples pertaining to use of these techniques.

I'd be interested in having the Sailnet experts weigh in on a discussion of Hal's book. I think that'd take the discussions on storm tactics a significant step forward and might lead to a more informed consensus.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Just ordered it. Thanks for the recommendation MC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 03-22-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Fantastic book. Every sailor should read it and keep it on her boat...while sailing without a bra.

Old 03-23-2011

MC1 is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear you liked the book Smack; . . . Will you be putting it on the agenda for your next on-the-water book review of the month (with all attendees expected to follow the proper dress code of course)?

I thought you might be interested in Roth's comparison of the Jordon Series drogue, parachute anchors deployed using the Pardey method, etc.. -His analysis seemed unbiased and experience-based to me.
Old 03-23-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
Just ordered it!

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus
Old 03-23-2011
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Glad to hear you liked the book Smack; . . . Will you be putting it on the agenda for your next on-the-water book review of the month (with all attendees expected to follow the proper dress code of course)?

I thought you might be interested in Roth's comparison of the Jordon Series drogue, parachute anchors deployed using the Pardey method, etc.. -His analysis seemed unbiased and experience-based to me.
Heh-heh. You know it pal!

And you're right. He does a great job of breaking down all the off-boat options in a clear, objective way - backing it up with several examples for each. He definitely made a believer out of me on the JSD.

Old 03-23-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
OK Smack,

Just when to you need a JSD on Lake gitcheegoomee in Texas? or whatever that pond is you sail on?LOL

Anyway, may need to check out this book, even if at this time I doubt I will be offshore to need something like a JSD. Didn't Dawg say this was the way to go in another thread somewhere?

Marty
Old 03-23-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Just when to you need a JSD on Lake gitcheegoomee in Texas? or whatever that pond is you sail on?LOL
Isn't Gitcheegoomee the original name of Lake Superior? Gordon Lightfoot seems to think so.
Old 03-23-2011
Last Man Standing

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
OK Smack,

Anyway, may need to check out this book, even if at this time I doubt I will be offshore to need something like a JSD. Didn't Dawg say this was the way to go in another thread somewhere?

Marty
As slow as I sail, I'm convinced I've already got one hung up on my keel.

Who's Dawg?

Old 03-23-2011
Sunsets and Warm Beer....

LandLocked66c is on a distinguished road
I'm concerned that there are only 5 secrets to heavy weather sailing! Did I order the right book?

You can't steer a boat that isn't moving? Just like a life - P. Lutus

Last edited by LandLocked66c; 03-23-2011 at 01:49 PM.