SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Storm tactics - "Handling Storms at Sea" - Hal Roth's book

6K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  blt2ski 
#1 ·
(Re-posting from the "Forereaching" thread so as not to hijack that discussion . . . )

Has anyone read Hal's book on handling storms? Comments? . . .

By far the best analysis of storm tactics I've seen thus far (and I've studied this extensively) is Hal Roth's book, Handling Storms at Sea. He discusses at length the situations where each technique should be used and their strengths and limitations, including applicability to different types of boats and different sea conditions. Techniques discussed include heaving to, forereaching, lying ahull, running off, use of parachutes (including standard deployment vs. Pardey method), use of drogues (including series vs. others), etc. etc.. He gives numerous success/fail examples pertaining to use of these techniques.

I'd be interested in having the Sailnet experts weigh in on a discussion of Hal's book. I think that'd take the discussions on storm tactics a significant step forward and might lead to a more informed consensus.

#4 ·
Glad to hear you liked the book Smack; . . . Will you be putting it on the agenda for your next on-the-water book review of the month (with all attendees expected to follow the proper dress code of course)?

I thought you might be interested in Roth's comparison of the Jordon Series drogue, parachute anchors deployed using the Pardey method, etc.. -His analysis seemed unbiased and experience-based to me.

#6 ·
Heh-heh. You know it pal!

And you're right. He does a great job of breaking down all the off-boat options in a clear, objective way - backing it up with several examples for each. He definitely made a believer out of me on the JSD.

#7 ·
OK Smack,

Just when to you need a JSD on Lake gitcheegoomee in Texas? or whatever that pond is you sail on?LOL

Anyway, may need to check out this book, even if at this time I doubt I will be offshore to need something like a JSD. Didn't Dawg say this was the way to go in another thread somewhere?

Marty

#13 ·
Dawg!?!?!?!

Oh yeah, he is a missing, have you not noticed how quiet it is around here?

githchegoomie or some such thing, yes superior as in song, great song. have most of his albums somewhere here in the house, not that I have a record player any more!

Anyway, Smack does sail on a pond as I recall.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.