Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by centaursailor View Post
You need a skipper for lots of reasons, he/she should not need to give orders very often. Advice is better.Leadership and experience are the best qualifying qualitys, if you can lead well others will follow. In a crisis everyone on board will have an oppinion but there wont be time for a discussion. Then the need for a single voice of authority will be apparent.
I was on board a yacht doing my day skipper, the guy in charge just enjoyed giving orders, it was very unplesent untill he spiked a electricity outlet with the bowspirit while demonstrating docking manouvers. He was a bit less pretensious after that.
Safe sailing
A Kodak moment and no camera in hand..... drat!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2011

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
As for your last question....neoxaero has it right...if you're asking, you ain't in charge there.

SPEWWW!
Old 02-09-2011

With a designated Captain: You can point your finger and say; He told me too.
With a designated Captain: He shoulders the blame if anything goes wrong.
With a designated Captain: You have someone to complain about.
With a designated Captain: He is stuck doing all of the paper work on entering or clearing a exotically named harbor.
With a designated Captain: Guess who gets stuck with all of the bills charged to the boat?

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 02-09-2011

sailordave is on a distinguished road
On a more serious note I would say that when cruising w/ the GF I will seek her input on things like whether to leave the dock now or tomorrow, where to go, etc. She leaves it up to me to run the boat but is learning. And I tend to be more conservative when it's just her and me.

When I'm racing w/ my buddies on a friend's boat the skipper doesn't micromanage; he'll leave decisions to the watch captains (me and whomever else) if he's not topside.
And quite honestly pretty much anyone of us could take over as captain if need be. We all pretty much trust each other so that if someone says DO THIS NOW, unless we saw some good reason not to, we'd do it.
If I'm skippering a boat and there is someone else of good ability on board I make it clear they are the XO and will take over if I'm incapacitated.

For couples I think there needs to be a clear understanding that IF it's an imminent situation, then ONE person needs to be in charge. For the sake of the relationship, ALL other matters need to be a consensus.
('cept in the V-berth!)
Old 02-10-2011

capttb is on a distinguished road
A captain is ultimately reponsible for everyone and everything under his command. If your boat hit something who would assume reponsibility regardless of who was at the helm ? That's the Captain.
Old 02-11-2011

It seems as if a lot of these newer Captains were trained by Capt Ron. Or is that an illusion on my part??

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 02-11-2011
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
It seems as if a lot of these newer Captains were trained by Capt Ron. Or is that an illusion on my part??
I doubt they could handle the "Sara."

Monrovia, MD
Old 02-11-2011
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
On a more serious note I would say that when cruising w/ the GF I will seek her input on things like whether to leave the dock now or tomorrow, where to go, etc. She leaves it up to me to run the boat but is learning. And I tend to be more conservative when it's just her and me.
That makes you the captain.

And she's the admiral.

Monrovia, MD
Old 03-14-2011

KiteRider is on a distinguished road
There always should be a skipper. Like others stated, the skipper will be making the fast decisions in an emergency and has final say on disputes. Also when interacting with authorities on the water the skipper is who they wish to speak to.

That being said, everyday decisions and choices are usually made by committee. I just did a 500 mile trip with 3 friends and aside from being the one to talk to the Coast Guard and handle docking a bystander watching wouldn't have even known that I was the skipper.
Old 03-14-2011
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road
For the most part, I would just repeat more of the same. I am the designated skipper, not because I am the man, but because my wife has more confidence in my skills then in hers. (Notice I said SHE has more confidence, not that I actually have more skills, or less confidence in her's ) We have some friends where the wife is the captain, and he is the first mate, and for them it is as it should be.

For daily decisions, or anything we can talk about we do. I am not a guy who likes "giving orders" although I have met a few "captains" who do. However, there is an understanding on our boat that in an emergency situation, you need to have one person in charge so that you are all acting as a team toward one goal in any situation, not having everyone trying to do something different.

When we have guests on board (usually none sailors) I will always say something like "I am in charge on this boat, and therefore responsible for the safety of everyone on board. I do not like to give orders,you are free to be involved in the sailing as much or little as you want to. However, if I (or we) ever tell you to do something rather then ask you, please do it right away, no questions asked, and we can discuss why later."

So far I have only had to "tell" rather then "ask" a few times when things really went sideways, and always got a good response form the crew.

While being mindful of my responsibility for the safety of the vessel and crew, I am also mindful of relinquishing some control to the helmsmen. If my wife is sailing the boat and I am doing stuff below or just taking a break, I let her sail the boat. I don't jump in with "don't tack yet" or "ease the sheet there" unless it is a matter of the safety of the boat or crew, or I am asked for help. Obviously she is a competent sailor and knows what she is doing, but we do have a few different ideas. She would rather tack early then get very close to shore. I tend to push the tacks a little farther. (And I am the one who ran into the sand bar last summer ) Our sail trim tactics tend to be different, I do not know who's are actually better, some days hers, some days mine, but bottom line is if she is sailing, let her sail, even though I may do it differently. When she is at the helm, I'll follow her orders and trim like she wants as long as it will not harm the boat or crew.

Last edited by IslanderGuy; 03-14-2011 at 01:02 PM.