Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
accidental gybe

egad, i really need to stop putting up these embarassing posts.

last sunday, in fair conditions, i went for a spin with my dockmate and his wife on their catalina 32', bout 15 years old. they just replaced all sails with some high tech halsey stuff (neat i must say) and we were makin 7-7.5 knots under sunny skies. well, i had the helm, broad reaching on a port tack and trying to get the most out of the new toys, when i veered a wee bit too far downwind-resulting in an accidental gybe. no MOB, no one hit, i immediately turned the helm over to my pals wife and apologized.

so i was wondering...

1. how many of you have done this?
2. how many of you do this on purpose?
3. what should have been the indication to me at helm that this was about to occur?
4. do i owe my pal a bottle of rum?

thanks

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-18-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
We gybe quite a bit - on purpose. We have to in a lake. We've done it in winds up to 15+. At 20 and above, we'll chicken-gybe.

It's really no big deal if everyone is coordinated. Just pay close attention to the jib sheet as you're playing it across. A wrapped headsail sucks. And make sure the mainsheet's not locked!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-18-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickMick View Post
egad, i really need to stop putting up these embarassing posts.

last sunday, in fair conditions, i went for a spin with my dockmate and his wife on their catalina 32', bout 15 years old. they just replaced all sails with some high tech halsey stuff (neat i must say) and we were makin 7-7.5 knots under sunny skies. well, i had the helm, broad reaching on a port tack and trying to get the most out of the new toys, when i veered a wee bit too far downwind-resulting in an accidental gybe. no MOB, no one hit, i immediately turned the helm over to my pals wife and apologized.

so i was wondering...

1. how many of you have done this?
2. how many of you do this on purpose?
3. what should have been the indication to me at helm that this was about to occur?
4. do i owe my pal a bottle of rum?

thanks
If you're watching the main, you can see the wind start to get "behind" the sail. I mean, if you steer downwind fast enough, it'll happen too fast for a warning, but you get the idea. And of course, glance at the Windex every now and then.

Was it a violent gybe? I don't understand why all the apology and discomfort, unless the main went "BLAM!". Oh, maybe you didn't give a "gybe ho" so they could watch their heads? It's not the end of the world, just practice on your boat some more.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 02-18-2011

DrB will become famous soon enough
A couple of things

Here are some ideas of how to help prevent an accidental gybe.

1) Use a boom preventer
2) Don't sail really really deep. I try to sail about 170 deg DW, this gives me a little fudge room if there are small wind shifts.
3) Watch the jib/genoa. It will start to move over before the boom does. As soon as you see it start to back fill, head up until it fills.

DrB
Old 02-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
If you're watching the main, you can see the wind start to get "behind" the sail. I mean, if you steer downwind fast enough, it'll happen too fast for a warning, but you get the idea. And of course, glance at the Windex every now and then.

Was it a violent gybe? I don't understand why all the apology and discomfort, unless the main went "BLAM!". Oh, maybe you didn't give a "gybe ho" so they could watch their heads? It's not the end of the world, just practice on your boat some more.
no gybe ho' issued, and lets just call it fairly violent. i just felt bad dropping that kind of a)surprise on my host's and b)that kind of load on his brand new set of sails when it is something he wouldnt do...

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 02-18-2011

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
I recently had an accidental gybe in a laser, and got to swim back to the dock. I was suddenly using my daggerboard as a sail, and my mast as a keel faster than I could blink.
Old 02-18-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post

Maybe that's it. Never look at the skipper's wife after a gybe, throw a gang sign and yell "Gybe ho!". If that's what happened, rum is definitely in order.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 02-18-2011

just dont say 'ho'!! gybe!!'

smack you kill me

YouTube - ‚™ę WHITE CHICKS AND GANG SIGNS ‚™ę

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 02-18-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Oh, I should have added- I blew my mainsheet block apart when gybing on Day #1 of the Good Old Boat Regatta, so don't feel bad.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 02-18-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Been there, done that. Learning experience.

Previous advice is good.

If you are broad reaching, pay some attention to the genoa; as soon as the clew starts to drop, head up slightly.

Avoid running wing-on-wing unless necessary. But practise it occasionally.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)

Last edited by jackdale; 02-18-2011 at 12:16 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.