SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/)
-   -   do you gybe? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/72153-do-you-gybe.html)

QuickMick 02-18-2011 12:40 PM

do you gybe?

well, this is obviously related to my last post, but the edit function wouldnt allow me to add a poll.

BubbleheadMd 02-18-2011 12:46 PM

I said "regularly" and I'll add the caveat "because I learned how to, while racing".

I'm always really careful, and I won't do it if the wind is really up.

smackdaddy 02-18-2011 12:48 PM

Posted explanation in the other thread. I'm a regular.

AdamLein 02-18-2011 01:31 PM

Considering the alternative, sailing downwind would really really suck if I never gybed.

Question ill-posed.

catamount 02-18-2011 01:31 PM

We gybe, on purpose, on a regular basis, as appropriate.

Still, sometimes things can happen when we're maybe not quite ready for them....

So we use a preventor whenever conditions warrant to help keep the boom from flying across unannounced.

We try to pay a lot of attention to the windex, wind conditions, sea state, etc...

IslanderGuy 02-18-2011 01:37 PM

Regularly, but only in light winds and "usually" in a very controlled manor. (accidents do happen though :) ) When sailing on the river the wind usually runs up or down, rarely across. So when running down wind in light airs its either wing and wing or gybing a lot so we can run on a broad reach rather then DDW. Here is my usual...

1. Light winds, steady direction - wing and wing if we can.
2. Light winds, shifting, broad reach and gybe. (We get a lot of shifting winds that can cause an accidental gybe very easily.)
3. Medium winds, maybe gybe if plenty of crew in the mood, or chicken gybe if short handed or just want easier sailing.
4. Brisk winds or more, chicken gybe.

(NOTE: I'm not a racer)

luffupsam 02-18-2011 01:46 PM

Chicken Gybe??

What is a Chicken Gybe ?

Sam

Ericson 32-3

jackdale 02-18-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luffupsam (Post 699516)
What is a Chicken Gybe ?

Sam

Ericson 32-3

Coming about (tacking) through 270 degrees to avoid putting the stern through the eye of the wind. (gybing).

Faster 02-18-2011 01:58 PM

We've chicken-gybed even while racing when conditions warrant.. and it's not always a dead-simple manoeuvre either... It's best to trim the sails throughout the 'harden-up and tack and falling off' lest the boat slow enough to settle into irons.

CalypsoP35 02-18-2011 02:05 PM

Almost always gybe. The trick is to trim hard as you're going into the gybe and release as soon as the wind comes around the back of the sail. When done properly there is very little stress on the rig, even in heavy wind conditions.

It's all about timing as I'm yelling to my crew "trim! trim! trim! trim! trim g$d d&#m it, trim faster! release! release! good job!" Yes, I do have to ply my crew with some spirits after we drop the sails to get them to come back.:o