Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Rope for gybe preventer on 30ft boat

I have a gybe preventer I've been using on 25ft boats, a 50ft length of about 400lb breaking strain rope with a 400lb-rated snap shackle on the end. I can't remember the exact type of rope I bought but it's quite stretchy.

At the time I bought it, I thought stretchy would be a good thing. But now I think it means that, if it were to snap, there would be tremendous recoil.

So I have two questions :

What breaking strain would be ideal for a 30ft boat? and

What type of rope would be ideal?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2011

235 people have read this post but none have anything to contribute?
Old 03-27-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
Odd alright, don,t use a gybe preventer myself but sailed on a 32ft sloop a couple of years ago in rough weather round the Isle of White, UK.
As far as I could tell the Gybe preventer was much the same as the headsail sheets, 5/8" or there abouts. Attached to the end of the boom and could be rigged fairly handily by some clever mechanism I didn,t take much note off.
There was a recent thread about Gybing with was a lot of discussion about a gybe brake, seemed a safer bet to me.
Safe sailing
Old 03-27-2011

lickingcardboard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
At the time I bought it, I thought stretchy would be a good thing. But now I think it means that, if it were to snap, there would be tremendous recoil.
The Idea of the Preventer it to keep the BOOM for making that Fast swing to the other side of the Boat so Stretch is not wanted, make the preventer the same as the Main Sheet as the load can be the same.
Old 03-27-2011

lickingcardboard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by centaursailor View Post
There was a recent thread about Gybing with was a lot of discussion about a gybe brake, seemed a safer bet to me.
Safe sailing
The Gybe brake, isn't this to slow the boom in a Gybe, slower movement not a violent one not to prevent it for moving? i missed that thread i think.
Old 03-27-2011

paul323 is on a distinguished road
So Mark...Did you get that boat? You keep on posting tantalizing questions...

fwiw my preventer used to be a fender line - but have moved to a 1/2" nylon double braid (8,000lb?). Would also be interested in more experienced sailor "best practices".

Thought about the brake, but want to keep things simple and clutter-free. Otherwise too many lines!
Old 03-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul323 View Post
So Mark...Did you get that boat? You keep on posting tantalizing questions...

fwiw my preventer used to be a fender line - but have moved to a 1/2" nylon double braid (8,000lb?). Would also be interested in more experienced sailor "best practices".

Thought about the brake, but want to keep things simple and clutter-free. Otherwise too many lines!
Hi Paul,

The situation is that I test sailed the boat, and the survey is tomorrow. Until the survey is completed satisfactorily, I don't want to count my chickens before they are hatched, so to speak.

When the transaction's completed I'll post a pic or two.

I have fender line for the gybe preventer right now so it sounds like I need to get something stronger, or a boom brake! A boom brake might not be much more expensive than 60ft of 8000lb rope!
Old 03-27-2011

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Mark,

On another site sometime ago, there was a discussion on what to use as a preventer. Most seemed to favor a stretchy line to absorb the intial shock of the wind getting on the back side of the sail in a jibe...the thought being that you wanted to minimize the shock on the sail and rig, while at same time preventing that high speed acceleration and immediate stop on the other side associated with the gybe. There are two issues here...first the unexpected acceleration of the boom across the boat which could hurt or kill someone, and second, the damage associated to the sudden stop of the sail and boom at the end of the gybe. A strong line that isn't going to break will prevent the sling shot effect that you are concerned with. Some stretch in the preventer will lessen the shock. I haven't had reason to test it, but based on that discussion, I also use 1/2 inch double braid nylon rated at 8600 lbs breaking strength on a 32 ft. boat. A second area of concern was whether the preventer should be attached to the outward end of the boom, or at some midpoint on the boom. There was no consensus here, although the end of the boom seem to be slightly favored, but many with mid boom travelers attach to mid boom (I use mid boom). Most preferred leading the preventer line on each side forward through the bow cleat and then back to the stern cleats so that the preventer can be controlled from there.

Perhaps some of the bluewater sailors on this site can give better guidance.
Old 03-27-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
We had a thread going on this last year but I'm damned if I can find it now. The Wichard was mentioned and I threw in the thing we use which is a climbers thinga me whatsit. Someone else then suggested a climbers thinga me whatsit with horns. It is rigged and works in much the same fasion as the Wichard but at 10% of the price.

I've not found the horny wee beastie as yet but the gelded version has worked for us within reason. I say within reason cos I've not had need to do a crash bang in over 20 knots.

Anywho .. to answer the OQ ... we use sheet line. Stretchy would be a worry I would have thought.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 03-27-2011

"A second area of concern was whether the preventer should be attached to the outward end of the boom, or at some midpoint on the boom. There was no consensus here, although the end of the boom seem to be slightly favored, but many with mid boom travelers attach to mid boom (I use mid boom). "

On another discussion it was suggested to have a line, attached to the boom end, ending in a bowline at the mid-boom point. Some shock cord would hold it to the boom when not in use. You could attach your gybe-preventer's shackle to the bowline.

What do you think?