SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

A knot question

6K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  ardoin 
#1 ·
I am taking a USCG boat safety course and they were discussing knot strengths. Bowline came in at 60% strength. For my genoa sheets I have been using bowline knots.
But, I remember from my climbing days that a figure-8 follow through is 80% strength. So, why not use this knot instead of the bowline? Or do people use a totally different knot for their genoa sheets?

#3 ·
The bowline is easier to untie.

Some folks use a cow hitch / lark's head in the middle of one long line serving as a sheet to both winches.

#4 · (Edited)
Fig. 8 'middled' in a single continuous jib line is probably the best. Next would be the 'strangler' - of course middled, then clove hitch or larks head.
If removable is important, then add a stainless locking caribiner/shackle.

For use of two jib sheets the buntline is far superior to the bowline, just add a few feet to the lines as you'll need to cut off a buntline.

If you want bombproof 'security' and 'small', then consider to eye-splice the lines onto the clew.

If you HAVE to untie a jammed knot .... thats what knives are for. Cutting 6" from a jib line is no big deal.

I only use jam-ing knots or splices on jib lines. I do not want my knots to capsize in F8 and above - been there, too dangerous.

#6 ·
to clew, i use the larks head. figure 8 follow-thru w/stopper for the backstay. only a guess, but if it got really willy nilly, im thinking your genoa would rip before a fig 8 failed? i think id rather deal with a broken knot and a flapping sail. in any case as mentioned above, lines are generally strong enough to compensate for being overloaded with a large margin of safety...

#7 · (Edited)
In the 'old days' prior to furling genoas a sailor would forever be switching headsails: Genoa No1, 2 and 3, Jib, Storm Jib. So you had to whip the sheets off fast, and on fast!

Bowline is great for that.

In the modern world of cruising the bowline is undone off the Genny about once per year if lucky. So it does tighten up and become a pain to get off.

However I still use them because I think its best to keep the number of knots used on a boat to a bare (bear?) minimum. Otherwise the big furry thing can bite ya on the bum in the middle of the night.

Some folks have started using a single line for their sheets with some knot forming a loop through the clew. But this ain't such a good idea because if the sheet breaks you can't tack and have one good sheet remaining. You have a sail flapping and when furled the clew is too high to thread a new sheet! (Sheets break most often at the knot, of course cos it 50% or 60% strength as you've pointed out)

So I keep bowlines, and I keep few as possable knots used on board.

Just as an aside: When sending someone up the mast professional pullers... actually 'pullees' are told to use a snap shackle instead of a bowline. This sends shivers up my spinless as a snap shackle can unsnap! But Occupational Health and Safety mobs want to know the breaking and safe working loads and they can work that out with a snap shackle but NOT with a knot. Of course you can put in both and have a safety line too. :)

#8 ·
I striped down my 4 to 1 main sheet system earlier this year.
Couldn't believe how the bowline had cut into itself were it anchored to the block.:eek: It was real neatly tied and showed no sign of wear on the visible surface, only when opened up.
I,ve left it a bit longer for future inspection.
Safe sailing

#16 ·
I like the idea of making an eye splice on the genoa sheet, then using a modern Dyneema/Spectra soft shackle to attach it to the sail. I've made up the soft shackles already (they are very easy to make yourself, hold incredible loads, and are neither heavy nor as hard as a steel shackle) but need to wait for the right time to splice the sheets - which means when I replace them as splicing used double-braid is very difficult.

#19 ·
One method I like is to use a toggle-and-becket for a changeable jib sheet. I first read about it in the old classic book "Shipshape and Bristol Fashion" (page 19 in my copy). It only works with clew eyes and not clew d-rings, was very easy to switch sails. It does rely on good seizings, though...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.