Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2011

FishFinder is on a distinguished road
What about keeping your anchor on the bow, but running your anchor line back to the cockpit? I've done this a bunch of times when singlehanding and in tight anchorages. This would require a bow roller, so that when you release the anchor line from the cockpit, the anchor drops off the bow.
Old 04-25-2011
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
John,

We have a stern anchor, stern rode locker, and a stern anchor roller, which makes it comparatively easy.[/QUOTE]

Would you share a bit more about your stern locker and roller configuration? I am interested in setting up to anchor from the cockpit.

Thanks,

Down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2011

Hesper is on a distinguished road
Not sure I understand why you think it's necessary to go through all the hinckiness of a stern drop. Once you droppe the anchor, you can pull forward on the boom and back the boat down under sail. If there's enough wind, you don't even need to do that, just have patience. I rarely use my engine to anchor, just to weigh (I'm getting to old to wrestle with weighing under sail).
Old 04-25-2011

seafrontiersman is on a distinguished road
I've set mine under sail several times by simply flaking or coiling 3X depth plus bullnose height, sailing into the wind, luffing, and letting the wind/ current take me back until the rode is stretched out and then backwinding whatever sail i'm carrying to set it and then paying out until I've got at least a 5/1 scope.

I'm sailing in a 23 ft. boat and I'm anchoring in 10-15 ft; might not be viable on larger vessels in deeper water.
Old 04-26-2011

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
John,

Quote:
We have a stern anchor, stern rode locker, and a stern anchor roller, which makes it comparatively easy.
Would you share a bit more about your stern locker and roller configuration? I am interested in setting up to anchor from the cockpit.

Thanks,

Down
Hi Down,

Sorry, I don't have any good photos of our arrangement at the moment. So I will describe as best I can.

What we have is a Windline DR-1 Stern Anchor Roller that is mounted to the cap rail at the stern of the boat.

Belowdecks, in the port quarter, is a locker for the stern anchor rode. There is a capped/hinged hawse hole in the deck, through which the rode passes. This locker can be accessed through the lazarette.

We use a Fortress FX-16 stern anchor. It is mounted to the stern rail via a Windline PM-1 Rail Mount Anchor Holder.

The anchor is mounted outboard to the stern rail, so it is always ready to deploy and the lead for the rode is fair. The anchor rode has about 10-15' of light chain before it transitions to rope. The chain is led from the anchor shank, through the stern roller, then down the hawse hole to the rode locker.

Using the hardware linked above, I think it would be pretty easy for most boats to replicate this set-up. Even if there's no dedicated locker area for the rode, a large plastic bucket could be secured in place below the hawse opening, and it would be effectively the same thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 04-26-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-27-2011
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
John,

Thanks you for the details. I am sorting out a similar solution for our boat.

Down
Old 04-27-2011

AdamLein will become famous soon enough
I've done the stern anchor thing a few times. We have an outboard so I was always worried about the rode fouling on the outboard and tearing it off the transom. At the time I was keeping all my anchor rode in a canvas bag, so it was a bit of a hassle hauling it around the shrouds. Plus chain on gelcoat makes my flesh crawl.

Fundamentally the main reason I don't do it anymore is that my motivation for doing it in the first place is gone. I think I was basically afraid to be away from the cockpit and not in control of the boat, even briefly. After anchoring a many times last year, I learned to be copacetic about the fact that the boat is going to do something out of my control, albeit fairly predictable, while I'm up at the bow. So there's no incentive to try weird anchoring-from-the-cockpit stuff anymore.
Old 04-29-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Glassdad makes an excellent point - the main is the last choice of sail because it's really hard to depower when running off the wind. If you have to do this use the headsail which can be let fly when the boat needs to stop.

The whole process sounds a little dodgy to me but then I sail a 12t boat. I have serious confidence issues sailing my boat straight at a lee shore hoping that the bottom hasn't got stuff on it that prevents an anchor from setting. Rocks can rush up on you way faster than you think.

Find a way to turn the boat into the wind and remotely release the anchor which is hanging from the front. There are suggestions in earlier posts that should be considered (slip knots, etc). If you can get this consistently right there will be several sailors in the average anchorage that will watch you with envious eyes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 06-12-2011

sck5 is on a distinguished road
I have anchored alone various times and didnt have to resort to dragging the anchor or anything else back to the cockpit (and I really dont want a boat length of chain banging on my gel coat).

Unless I am anchoring in a tight spot (and so need to get my wife to help) I just motor upwind to the approximate spot, put the engine in neutral, run up to the bow and let the anchor go. When I have enough chain out I go back to the cockpit to back down on it. I dont get to choose the EXACT spot the anchor sets but how often do you get to do that anyway?
Old 06-12-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
On a small boat with little or no chain dropping the anchor off the stern while going DDW would probably work fine, but why bother? With everything at the bow ready just turn into the wind, walk to the bow and let it go.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.