current theory - SailNet Community
Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of Old 05-17-2011 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
davidpm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Madison
Posts: 3,893
Thanks: 218
Thanked 58 Times in 50 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
current theory

Several times when motoring or sailing into a strong current I noticed that the helm became more tender than normal.
At first blush it would seem that it wouldn't matter if the boat was moving through the water or the water was moving past the boat.

My experience is that as soon as the current speed gets close to the boat speed through the water the helm gets very tender.

I think I have figured out why.
When motoring directly into a 4 knot current at 5 knots you get an over ground 1 knot progress. If however due to wave action or even slight steering adjustments or even current eddy's you get even slightly off dead ahead the vectors change rapidly and the bow gets pushed off affecting the helm.

Have you experienced the same thing?
Does my explanation make sense?
davidpm is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of Old 05-17-2011
Large Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,000
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 9
 
Another thought

OK, I haven't really thought this through but... maybe you actually lack momentum. That same boat is only moving at 1 knot. The faster you go, the more stability you have. Look at a bicycle. Hard to balance when stopped, the faster you go, the more stable you are. The better you can withstand side forces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Several times when motoring or sailing into a strong current I noticed that the helm became more tender than normal.
At first blush it would seem that it wouldn't matter if the boat was moving through the water or the water was moving past the boat.

My experience is that as soon as the current speed gets close to the boat speed through the water the helm gets very tender.

I think I have figured out why.
When motoring directly into a 4 knot current at 5 knots you get an over ground 1 knot progress. If however due to wave action or even slight steering adjustments or even current eddy's you get even slightly off dead ahead the vectors change rapidly and the bow gets pushed off affecting the helm.

Have you experienced the same thing?
Does my explanation make sense?
mdbee is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #3 of Old 05-17-2011
Just another Moderator
 
Faster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Westminster, BC
Posts: 16,337
Thanks: 101
Thanked 303 Times in 293 Posts
Rep Power: 10
     
I've definitely noticed a change in 'feel' as you pass through and in & out of eddies in the presence of strong currents, but through-the-water speed is what it is, I don't think it should change the helm's feel if it's a consistent current.

However truly consistent current is pretty rare in our experience.. any time we're in significant current (say over 2 knots) there seems to always be random turbulence so I suspect what you're feeling would be the ebb and flow of eddies on the rudder.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Faster is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #4 of Old 05-17-2011
Large Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,000
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 9
 
ebb & flow

That makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
I've definitely noticed a change in 'feel' as you pass through and in & out of eddies in the presence of strong currents, but through-the-water speed is what it is, I don't think it should change the helm's feel if it's a consistent current.

However truly consistent current is pretty rare in our experience.. any time we're in significant current (say over 2 knots) there seems to always be random turbulence so I suspect what you're feeling would be the ebb and flow of eddies on the rudder.
mdbee is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #5 of Old 05-18-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,370
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Yep. Your boat's foils don't care what speed they're going over ground, only through the water. We've got some strong rips around these parts. They're great to get into as you can use them to get squirted through an adverse tide, but the flow around the rudder and keel is disturbed and things feel bumpy. It's possible that your rudder can even stall momentarily. It's very much like a plane experiencing 'turbulence', but thankfully not quite as 3 dimensional.
puddinlegs is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #6 of Old 05-19-2011 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
davidpm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Madison
Posts: 3,893
Thanks: 218
Thanked 58 Times in 50 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
OK another thought experiment.
Imagine a large tank with a consistent artificial current flowing through it.
Now imagine a model boat placed in this stream, bow upstream.
You hold one finger against the center of the transom so the boat is stationary over ground.
With this model I thing it is pretty easy to see that keeping it perfectly balanced would be very hard. The bow will want to fall off very easily and quickly.
davidpm is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #7 of Old 05-19-2011
Last Man Standing
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 14,119
Thanks: 135
Thanked 125 Times in 118 Posts
Rep Power: 9
     
Dock
Speaking theoretically, I don't know. As mentioned above the water flow over the keel and rudder would be the same if you were sailing along at X knots (kind of like being in a wind tunnel). The finger is SOG (i.e. - keeping you in one place relative to the ground). But the water is moving past your boat at X knots...not SOG. So the foils and forces should work.

That said, I could also see what you're saying about the bow wanting to fall off...like a kayak in a river (which I actually have experienced).

So are there different dynamics at work here?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
smackdaddy is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #8 of Old 05-20-2011
Once known as Hartley18
 
Classic30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,756
Thanks: 44
Thanked 64 Times in 64 Posts
Rep Power: 9
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
That said, I could also see what you're saying about the bow wanting to fall off...like a kayak in a river (which I actually have experienced).

So are there different dynamics at work here?
Yes there is.. the weight distribution in your average yacht is centered above the keel - and you have a deep keel and rudder adding their own lifting forces to keep the boat in line.

The weight distribution in a kayak is all down the stern - and you have a long, thin, keel with no appreciable lifting forces.

A yacht's rudder turns the boat around the axis of the keel, so, to get the "thought experiment" right, the proverbial finger should be placed in the center of the boat - not the transom. ...but if you hold the rudder dead center in a current with the boat stationary, you'll find it will eventually fall off one way or another as soon as the keel's "lift force" (generated by the angle of attack to the average current flow direction) counteracts the rudder's smaller "lift force".

..all highly technical really.

-
"Honestly, I don't know why seamen persist in getting wrecked in some of the outlandish places they do, when they can do it in a nice place like Fiji." -- John Caldwell, "Desperate Voyage"

Last edited by Classic30; 05-20-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Classic30 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #9 of Old 05-20-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,370
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 9
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
OK another thought experiment.
Imagine a large tank with a consistent artificial current flowing through it.
Now imagine a model boat placed in this stream, bow upstream.
You hold one finger against the center of the transom so the boat is stationary over ground.
With this model I thing it is pretty easy to see that keeping it perfectly balanced would be very hard. The bow will want to fall off very easily and quickly.
Probably a reiteration of what was said in the previous post, but hold the boat from a point in the center (where the boat's CE is located), and it should track very well. Boats pivot around a location just above their keels, not sterns.
puddinlegs is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #10 of Old 05-20-2011 Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
davidpm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Madison
Posts: 3,893
Thanks: 218
Thanked 58 Times in 50 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Actually the finger in my thought experiment was designed to simulate the propeller. I was visualizing the boat while motoring. Sorry I wasn't explicit.
The force while motoring is at the prop.
While sailing it is at the mast.
It is easier to visualize how tender the helm will be while motoring as the propulsive force is at the stern.

Less easy to visualize is when motoring with a fast current. Again the helm becomes very sloppy. But instead of tender it becomes sluggish.
I have experience this when running with the current through hell gate in nyc for example.

Last edited by davidpm; 05-20-2011 at 01:19 AM.
davidpm is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Theory on cause of Fiberglass Hull Blisters travistowle Gear & Maintenance 119 10-31-2011 08:59 AM
Sailing & boating theory Asiic3 General Discussion (sailing related) 0 10-11-2009 04:54 AM
New Theory on Seasickness LarryandSusanMacDonald General Discussion (sailing related) 15 04-03-2009 02:39 PM
More battery theory questions hertfordnc Gear & Maintenance 1 04-22-2008 08:47 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome