Single Handing Made Easy - What Are Your Techniques? - Page 5 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Re: Single Handing Made Easy - What Are Your Techniques?

Quote:
I didn't realize that you could heave to with jib alone and have the boat balanced. Do you lock down the helm to do this?
I haven't messed around with my boat enough to know if this would work either. This is also the question I have about heaving-to in order to lower sails. Once you lower one of the sails the boat will no longer be balanced.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2012

benajah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Quote:
I didn't realize that you could heave to with jib alone and have the boat balanced. Do you lock down the helm to do this?
I haven't messed around with my boat enough to know if this would work either. This is also the question I have about heaving-to in order to lower sails. Once you lower one of the sails the boat will no longer be balanced.
To actually do it though to raise the sail it has to be pretty breezy to get enough steerage to tack under jib alone, can use the motor to give a little push through the wind if needed. Then again, with the exception of the hunter this is all with pretty nimble agile jib liking boats. I have no clue if something like this would work with a big heavy mainsail liking full keel boat. I've never tried in those.
Every boat is different though. I learned this trick from an e-book on single handing I found on the Internet.

Last edited by benajah; 03-27-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-27-2012
Admirals fav target

NCountry is on a distinguished road

My 44 footer heaves to under jib alone. Seems to be a little closer to the wind with the main up also. It does really well with a double reef and LOTS of the jib furled. Also does well with the storm staysail.

My main is a monster and even with the slides lubed will not come down of it's own accord. I've always had to "help" it down.

Docking.... I stern to into my dock space. I back up to the pier and grab two lines. First is a catch line that I place on the stern cleat. The other is a line that will ultimately go over the bow cleat. I have both lines on each side so no matter the wind direction I always have the two lines to grab. Then all I do once the catch line is cleated is to pull on the line that goes to the bow until I can cleat it. Last but not least I have roller bumpers lining the finger on the slip.... greatest invention EVERY!

BUT the reason I jumped in here.... the absolutely best most useful thing I EVER added to my boat to help with single handing, other than the autopilot, is a wireless remote control. I can steer from anywhere on the boat including the bow AND can turn the auto pilot on and off with the thing.... greatest tool EVER IMHO but I'm an electronic junkie and they make fun of my remote control 44 foot sailboat..... I just smile and wave as I single hand along with my remote hanging from a lanyard around my neck and a cold adult beverage in my hand....
Old 03-27-2012
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road

I single hand without a wheel lock, auto pilot, windvane, or lazy jacks.

First, it'd be super nice to have auto pilot, but I can't afford it.

Anyway, all of my lines are led aft. I'm pretty safe behind the wheel. Going forward is a good way to fall overboard. When going forward, one hand for me, one for the boat always.

I think procedures through first before doing them. Coming and going from the dock, I make sure everything is at the ready including the boat hook, while I'm out and away from crowded areas or still tied up.

For docking, I usually am going down wind before turning into my slip so I have a lines rigged to catch the boat if I happen to be coming in a bit hot and don't get it stopped in time. It turns into a cross wind landing so I need enough speed or else it could get ugly. But never so much speed that it would hurt to hit something.

The docking procedure in the video with Capt Jack is golden.

On gusty windy days, I get the main down, gathered, and bungee'd then worry about flaking nice and pretty while tied up at the dock. I've tried to flake it nice and pretty when it's windy and it's just too much going on. The boat falls off the wind which blows the flakes off even if I'm doing bungees as I go.
I think some lazy jacks are in order.

For a gybe, I worry about getting the main over and leave the jib cleated and let it backwind. After the main is over, I'll get the jib over.
In enough wind that I'm uncomfortable gybing, I'll chicken gybe. If it's nice but gusty conditions, I'll wait for the gust to pass before doing a gybe.

If I want a nice, relaxed, pleasure sail, I go under main alone (fractional rigs FTW!).

20 kts or more and no crew=I stay at the dock and fish.

My yawl rig is easier to single hand than my sloop. Hoist the mizzen, tighten it up and she'll stay pointed into the wind all day long.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 03-27-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

I've been single handing, mostly 11 months a year, for the last 40 years, including many Pacific crossings.
Greatest improvements? A well balanced hull shape, wheelhouse and inside steering, roller furling, trimtab operating autohelm, simple reliable windvane, and lazy bags for the main.
Old 03-29-2012
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

I've always enjoyed getting out alone on my 18 and expect to do the same on my 25 after I've gotten comfortable with it.

The C-25 has no auto-pilot and no roller furling. The only headsail is a 135% genoa.

The good news is that both halyards are lead to the cockpit.

It will be a learning experience, but I think I will hank on the headsail at the mooring and tie it down with some sort of 'quick release' line lead to the cockpit. Once I've motored down the river to open water, I don't which sail I'll be raising first. Trial and error I guess.

I'll be rigging a downhaul for the jib; the main will likely come down on its own (we'll see). Not sure how I'll be securing the jib for the transit back up the river.

I'll get out first on a day with dead air and just go through the motions. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Thanks for all the suggestions.

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-30-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

I always hoist the main first. WHY well I have to be head to wind to do that and if the genoa was unrolled or the staysail was hoisted I would be beaten up by the clews and sheets.

So hoist the main, hoist the staysail then unroll the genoa.

My boat will not heave to without reefed main sheeted in and foresail [ either ] backed.
Old 03-30-2012

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road

Good to leave a midships line spliced on, so it will l always be there when you need it. Long, but not long enough to reach the prop. Get that tied down first, and you have all the time in the world to deal with bow and stern line.
Picking up a mooring is best done by sailing upwind of it, dropping all sails, and drifting slowly down on it , picking it up from the stern, by the cockpit. You can move it to the bow later , in calm conditions.
For hard to pick up moorings , simply drop a lasso over it. Take it off later , in calm conditions, and then pick up the mooring buoy's pennant.
Best get into a slip the easiest way possible and get her stopped. If you want her pointing the other way, you can do that by hand later, when it falls calm.
Old 03-30-2012
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Brent. I'm a little anxious about docking, but there are a few things in my favor.

First off, my 'dock' is going to be a 30' long float attached to a monster mooring ball (3' steel sphere?) at one end. So:

A. It will always point into the current.

B. I own one entire side of the 'dock'; I can do 'touch and go' approaches until I'm happy (or out of gas).

I've seen a few different variations of a 'lasso' made from a fixed length stern line. Let's say it's a 6' stern line with a rigid 4' section and the eye coming out the end of the tube.

1. With fenders out and lifeline down, approach the dock from down current.

2. At just above headway speed, come alongside and drop the loop over the dock cleat for the stern line.

2a. If I miss with the lasso, go back for another pass.

3. Leave the engine in gear and the boat should snug itself up to the dock.

4. Step onto the dock to make fast the bow line.

5. Kill the engine.

I didn't invent it, but that 's my plan. I worry about stepping off the boat with the engine in gear, but I worry about everything. I suppose if I got the stern line fully on the cleat (both horns), I should be able to kill the motor and step off the boat holding the bow line. I guess the most likely failure is that I'll end up down current of the float with the boat connected by the stern line. Embarrassing perhaps, but no harm done.

Opinions? (hard to imagine, but someone here might have one )

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-30-2012
72 C&C Corvette

CorvetteGuy is on a distinguished road

I am fortunate to have 3,0 foot docks to hit no finger slips so docking is no problem, leavin the dock is the same no obsticals at all. When on the water with the ole A4 pushin into the wind the wheel is locked and the ole corvette a mean course to the cabin top I go, the main goes up first and the genoa shortly after , within 3 min I'm back in the cockpit shutting down the motor and trimming the sails, so easy it almots second nature, its all about the tranquility of sailing alone.......ahhhhhhh can't wait boat goes in the water in a month and a half