Single Handing Made Easy - What Are Your Techniques? - Page 6 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Re: Single Handing Made Easy - What Are Your Techniques?

Quote:
The C-25 has no auto-pilot and no roller furling. The only headsail is a 135% genoa.

The good news is that both halyards are lead to the cockpit.
I will be routing my main halyard back to the cockpit for ease of reefing. However, I also have a hanked-on jib, and decided that since I need to go to the bow to tend the jib raising and lowering, that I will leave the jib halyard on the mast. I think you will find it difficult to avoid going forward with a hanked-on jib.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-02-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

JoeDiver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonSink62 View Post
I'm a little anxious about docking,
Always, always remember this:

Never approach a dock faster than you're willing to hit it.

I single my C25 all the time. In fact, I've only had pax on board a few times. Both halyards are led to the cockpit. Main drops by itself; I have to pull the jib down.

Best install so far: TillerClutch.

Grab one of these beauties and install it. I can leave my tiller for 15 minutes at a time (motoring) and it does double duty giving my arms a bit of a rest under sail in heavy winds.

I motor slowly into the wind, set the TillerClutch. Raise main, leave it eased. Run up front, untie 2 jib ties, back to the cockpit. Adjust TillerClucth if needed. Raise jib. Sheet jib, sheet main, pickup the wind and then trim as necessary.

Easy peasy man. Dousing is the same thing...into the wind, ease everything, jib first then main.

I get everything ready at the marina....and tidy up when I get back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Eagle Mountain Lake, Texas
Old 04-02-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Say you have no sails up and your engine has just died as you are heading to your dock, it is blowing 25 knots. How would you go about raising the sails? Assume the boat has stopped.
Regards
Old 04-02-2012

delite is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Timing when coming about = saves lots of pulling cranking on the winches.
Very true. I like to adjust my traveller just prior to coming about so that it is set up for the next point of sail.. This lets the wind do the work for me
Old 04-02-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Say you have no sails up and your engine has just died as you are heading to your dock, it is blowing 25 knots. How would you go about raising the sails? Assume the boat has stopped.
Regards
Raise the main. Ease the mainsheet completely, let that boom swing to wherever it needs to. Raise a flapping sail. Gently sheet in the main until it starts to drive the boat and develop steerage, then use a combination of pointing and easing the main, along with falling off and sheeting in, to slowly move the boat. Depending on the wind direction and where you need to go, this is going to be very easy, or very hard.

I practice, out on the lake, slow maneuvers around the racing buoys (not in use), using my main only to slowly circle the buoy, or approach it and stop, touch it and take off. Live, active sheeting/easing of the main to power it and de-power it is not really that hard....just makes alot of noise and isn't good for your sails to leave them flapping alot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Old 04-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
Raise the main. Ease the mainsheet completely, let that boom swing to wherever it needs to. Raise a flapping sail. Gently sheet in the main until it starts to drive the boat and develop steerage, then use a combination of pointing and easing the main, along with falling off and sheeting in, to slowly move the boat. Depending on the wind direction and where you need to go, this is going to be very easy, or very hard.

I practice, out on the lake, slow maneuvers around the racing buoys (not in use), using my main only to slowly circle the buoy, or approach it and stop, touch it and take off. Live, active sheeting/easing of the main to power it and de-power it is not really that hard....just makes alot of noise and isn't good for your sails to leave them flapping alot.
Which sail normally points best into the wind for your boat if you are only going to use one sail- just the main, or just the jib?
Old 04-02-2012
SERIOUS SAILOR

For my boat, the jib is my driver, the power sail. The main is more for stability, but does have considerable driving force. I can easily sail on the main alone but it has a bit of weather helm. Sailing with just one sail, the jib or genny is the way to go.

However, in the situation presented, motor failure while docking....the main is much easier for me to deploy quickly and control easily. If I had planned to sail in, I'd use just the jib and not even wrap it around the winch, just through the pulley and hand held....pulling in for a bit of power, luffing to slow or stop as I make my way in.

That's just me personally....and my boat....your method and boat may vary of course...

1982 Catalina 25 #2897
FK/SR/Traditional
Old 04-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
For my boat, the jib is my driver, the power sail. The main is more for stability, but does have considerable driving force. I can easily sail on the main alone but it has a bit of weather helm. Sailing with just one sail, the jib or genny is the way to go.

However, in the situation presented, motor failure while docking....the main is much easier for me to deploy quickly and control easily. If I had planned to sail in, I'd use just the jib and not even wrap it around the winch, just through the pulley and hand held....pulling in for a bit of power, luffing to slow or stop as I make my way in.

That's just me personally....and my boat....your method and boat may vary of course...
I was sailing this last friday and winds were 25 knots gusts to over 30. I had a inexperienced crew on board so I decided to just use the furled jib brought out about 1/3 way or less. With this sail I could only sail about 60 or 70 degrees off ture wind direction. I was being pushed off the wind by 5 foot seas coming from the direction of the wind, but I was hoping to make better windward direction than this. Would you say this is normal for mast head sloop? With the main and jib I can sail about 40 degress or sometimes closer to true wind directioin.
Old 04-02-2012

johnnyandjebus is on a distinguished road

It may have already been posted here and I missed it. Remember that when coming into a dock/marina under sail it is much harder to fully de-power a main sail compared to the jib. If your jib is like mine, hanked, add a downhual. It makes lowering the jib from the cockpit completely doable and fast. Worst case senerio you can always release the jib sheet and let it flap in the breeze.

Agreed on the advice that says never approach dock faster than you want to hit it. Currents and wind speed aside, most boats will maneuver quite well at 1 knot boat speed. The rudder is designed for it.

John
jrd22 likes this.

"If you canít explain it to a six year old, you donít understand it yourself.Ē
--Albert Einstein

Last edited by johnnyandjebus; 04-02-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-02-2012
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road

On the size of boats one should be single handing - backing the main is relatively easy (push boom)

My biggest advice to single handers

GET A SMALLER BOAT