SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/)
-   -   Heaving to (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/75119-heaving.html)

MITBeta 06-07-2011 09:57 PM

Heaving to

The last two trips out in a Rhodes 19 I have tried to demonstrate heaving to. Both times I headed into the wind leaving the working sheet cleated. I waited until the boat had just about stopped and then finished the tack to backwind the jib. At this point, the tiller gets pointed toward the mainsail.

For a few cycles, the boat gets pushed down by the backwinded jib for about 30 degrees. Then the mainsail powers up and turns the boat back up. Jib pushes boat down, main turns boat up, etc.

Yet both times I have done this, the main eventually brings the boat so far up that it tacks and starts sailing again.

Am I doing something wrong, or is it simply due to shifting winds?

fryewe 06-07-2011 10:04 PM

MITB...ease the mainsheet. If the main can be reefed, take a reef.

AdamLein 06-07-2011 10:49 PM

Or use less rudder.

turbulicity 06-08-2011 12:50 AM

Should the jib be sheeted in or left a little baggier for heaving to? I am assuming that by easing out the jib sheet a little and with the jib sheet car back, he could overcome the main better?

Tempest 06-08-2011 06:05 AM

I would stick with the 1st two suggestions: ease the main, or use a little less rudder. You could also ease the traveler.

MITBeta 06-08-2011 08:12 PM

Thanks, all. I'll play with your suggestions next time out.

nolatom 06-09-2011 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fryewe (Post 738374)
MITB...ease the mainsheet. If the main can be reefed, take a reef.

or ease the traveler. Keep experimenting and you'll get the balance.

CapnBilll 06-09-2011 10:14 AM

I was taught ease the main and keep rudder hard over, but I've only done this a few times myself, ....once accidently, (main was reefed).

dnf777 06-09-2011 07:17 PM

I was taught that the jib and rudder should be hard opposed to one another. The main is used to tweak the opposing balance. That will give the most stable heave-to, I believe, by having the two largest moment-arms in full opposition.

paulk 06-09-2011 08:08 PM

If you're out in conditions that warrant heaving to in a Rhodes 19, you should have stayed in port in the first place. Unless you feel like having a picnic lunch without having to anchor. In such a situation, you should be able to play around with the settings of your rudder & sails (as mentioned above) so you're comfortable and secure. If yours is a CB version, adjusting it in different ways will llkely also have an impact on your sail and rudder trim while hove-to. Keep a good lookout while hove-to -- you are still under way and subject to the rules of the road.