How Would You Dock?....This boat, this slip, these conditions - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2011

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Thanks and a Summary

Thanks to all who have provided suggestions. I will study and restudy each one in detail, and run a few tests as well in order to fine tune or revise my docking techniques.

Since the posts have been long, I thought it might be appropriate to summarize.

Crosswind....Here is an illustration of high wind/cross wind:

YouTube - ‪Docking in Corfu Harbour in (very) strong wind‬‏

Having seen crosswind illustrated, Captain, your task is:

With the cross wind, singled handedly without outside assistance, maneuver the boat downwind in a narrow channel (fairway), at a certain point, turn the boat sharply 90 degrees into a slip (pen). Safety tie up the boat. The pen is 2 ft. wider than the boat and is 2 ft. longer than the boat. Do not damage the boat. You will get one chance>

Last edited by NCC320; 06-17-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2011

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
So, What's My Decision?

Yesterday, I spent some time at the boat watching the boat move about in its slip as the wind shifted and studied the marina. I think I have a decision.

Exactly what will be done will depend on the wind conditions (speed, direction, steady or gusting or shifting) and the presence of waves. Generally, I think I going to stay with my current technique as described in the original post, except modified as follows to deal with the 2 ft. up and down wave motion, and the increased pressure on the leeward outer piling (the boat will come to rest there initially if a bow first approach is made into the slip….it only takes a couple of seconds for the boat to be blown downwind 2 ft.). I will modify the technique as follows:

On the existing post pad bumper on the leeward outer piling, I’m going to periodically spray that pad with McLube Sailkote to keep it as slick and low friction a surface as possible. This will allow the boat to move up and down on the pad more easily for the short duration that I will be against the pad/piling, lessening the chance for damage.

I will add a second buddy line below the existing one on the finger pier side to provide added protection for my neighbor against the possibility that my bow will swing down on him.

I will make the special thin fender board mentioned in Post # 4 (thin board, vinyl “P” type edging and/or foam on boat side, with special low friction slider blocks on piling side). I will have to do some testing to see whether it can be pre-deployed, or perhaps, pre-positioned, but remotely deployed from the cockpit using a lanyard and line arrangement.

I chose to stay with this approach because I feel it gives me the best control over the boat, and best chance of getting into the slip on the first and only attempt that I will have. Under the conditions stated in the problem, and with geometry and parameters of the boat and fairway, I will be committed once I start down the fairway, and aborting will not be possible. I especially do not like to do anything or put myself in any situation where I do not have a possible escape (workable plan B).

One technique I considered as a close alternate was, on my approach down the fairway, to snug up to the outer pilings of the immediately adjacent upwind slips, and get a spring line over to hold the boat while I went forward to place lines on my slip’s windward piling. Then, I could pivot the bow about my windward outer piling, and with windward lines already on the piling at this point, work the boat into it’s slip, thus never going down on the leeward piling, neighbor, or finger pier. I discarded this, since the 45 degree crosswind is blowing me away from the pilings that I have to tie to (especially significant in higher winds). To offset the wind and stay close to these pilings, the bow would have to be angled towards the pilings and the stern would be away such that I might have difficulty, even with a boat hook, in getting a spring line on a piling. If I failed to get the line over, I would be swept down onto the pier and other boats with little chance to escape.

Now if the wind and waves are really kicking up:

I will just anchor out (or go to another, more sheltered marina, but slip availability and ground transportation might be a problem). To this end, I will place and keep aboard the boat some drinking water (in bottles) and stock the boat with a bit of prepared canned food that doesn’t require refrigeration or lots of preparation. This will make an unexpected overnight comfortable.

If I need to get off the boat at its home pier for some reason, I can anchor directly upwind from the visitor’s T at the end of my pier; then place a snatch block on the rode, with line through my stern cleat and to a winch. I would then winch in so that the boat is parallel to the T, and gradually let out more rode until I reach the T, where I can tie up. I can use the engine to help fine tune position as I approach the T (i.e. engine allows swinging about an arc from anchor location). Once tied up securely (T has outboard pilings, so I wouldn’t be against the pier), I’ll place a weight (kellet) on the anchor rode at the boat and slack the rode so that it lies on the bottom and won’t trip any boats that might pass by.

Again thanks for all the suggestions. You have helped me clarify in my mind what I need to do. I apologize for the length of all the posts, but on something like this, “the devil is in the details”.

Lots of people have read this thread and more probably will read it in the future. Any readers with other ideas, or suggestions, please continue to post them. I won’t necessarily make comment, but others will see your ideas and recommendations, and may be able to use them.
Old 06-23-2011
Senior Pirate

TropicCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC320 View Post
Getting a line on the piling is the tricky part.
You've practically typed a book describing your challenge. I'm pretty confused reading this thread. First off, what sailboat is able to complete a turn when 25 knots is trying to blow them down? None that I've ever seen.

There are a bunch of good answers here. The one answer I like was a few posts up by arf145.

This method will work as well with less work than some of the others. Remember, the windward line controls the boat.

Come up to your slip, don't turn. Put your cockpit right close to the starboard piling. Use your boat hook to pickup your line off the piling and run it through a stern cleat and then around a cockpit winch, and hold it in your hand. You can pick up that line because it's yours and you left it there (like the rest of us do) when you went sailing.

Now let the wind blow you off, it's OK, you're not going anywhere. When you are stern to your slip, switch the one line you have on the boat to the winch on the other side of the cockpit.... Crank the winch until you're stern to your slip, put the boat into reverse .. and back into your slip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TropicCat; 06-23-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-23-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
I like it! .. If you set the 1st line up as a spring line, short enough to keep you from hitting the dock...you could probably leave the engine in reverse as you walk forward with the windward bow line ( so you'd pick up two lines). get the windward bow line thru a chock and control the bow, while the boat reverses herself on the spring.