Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2011

Petar is on a distinguished road
Bow in or stern in at the dock?

I've been reading various posts on this form and have watched people in the marina mooring their boats various ways. In essence, majority of boats are tied "bow in" and lesser number "stern in". I owned a 31 and now 38 ft sailboat and always tie "bow in". I have not even tried tying "stern in". Firstly, every boat including sailboats are much more maouverable coming "bow in" to the slip. The bow of the boat is much stronger should you misjudge and hit or ride up the dock which has never happened to me so far. i do not want to even try to think about the damage I can sustain should I misjudge and ride up the dock with my stern and damage the rudder in the process. When we are leaving the dock we are usually fresh and rested and a bit more difficult manouver to come out sternway should not be that hard to execute. On the other hand, when we are returning back to the slip after a day or several days of sailing, cruising etc, we are definitely more exhausted and need more focus on how do we "park" the boat. Finally, I fail to see the benefit of tying the boat "stern in". Can someone try and clarify it for me, why would someone do that in the first place.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
In part, it depends on your individual situation. Another factor can be ease of access or prevailing winds, tides or currents. Some would rather back in, than back out. Some like to be able to "watch" the dock, while others may prefer privacy. Mostly, it's just one's own preference.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-28-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I'd agree with PB re personal preference. I do generally speaking back in. Altho I have sailed in forwards a few weeks back. For me, backing in is somewhat easier than forward in/reverse out. As the back in works with the prop kick, back out, I am opposite of the prop kick! Also for what ever reason, I find loading backed in to be easier, or at least from the proverbial psych end of things it seems easier. backed in also faces the generally speaking south wind, altho in the summer a northwesterly is the more prevalent. That is usually a bit more on the side vs the higher winds out of the south in the winter on the nose/stern of the boat. backed in with the nose out is seems to make for a better ride in 40+ knot winds.

Going out when I solo is also easier to go out forward, backing in or forward in while solo, with practice, both have become a 6 and 1/2 dozen or another! Altho in HIGH winds ie 30+, backing out is easier solo, as the wind pushes me into the dock, vs a northerly, the bow moves to the east and into the boat next to me. Altho if I had a really long line from front to stern to pull in as I go out, this would help.......

So, take you pick as to which you want to do. If you have a walk thru stern, backing in may be better for loading etc. You then have side or stern access.

Really, its all personal, no right or wrong. Of course the person acros from me goes in bow first, but he is ALL wrong about the why and where for! LOL, now to see if mr dodenja catches my he is mooring incorrectly LOLOLOL

marty
Old 06-28-2011

sck5 is on a distinguished road
with a very short finger pier it is easier for my admiral to get on and off if i tie up stern to
Old 06-28-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
It is easier to get gear and provisions on and off a stern tied boat, especially ones with an open transoms and twin or folding wheels.

You do lose privacy when stern tied.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 06-28-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
A couple of things make stern-in docking problematic for my boat. First, my Cal 2-27 is actually about 26.5 feet LOA. But, that doesn't take the one to one and a half foot overhang of the pulpit into account. The slip is 25 feet long and I'm allowed a three foot overhang, or 28 feet from the very end of the slip to the very end of the boat (EVERYTHING included). Since my boat is just about 28 feet, including the pulpit, I would just be able to dock stern in and be legal. So, I would have to have the transom right up against the end of the slip to be legal. (When bow-in, the pulpit overhang is kosher, as long as the bow itself isn't over the edge of the dock.) However, even though the rudder on my boat isn't transom-hung, it still projects just slightly aft of the transom. This means that to be stern-in, I would probably want to leave at least a foot or two of room between the dock and the rudder, putting the bow/pulpit well beyond the three-foot overhang limit. And, apparently the harbor patrol DOES keep an eye out for such things.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 06-28-2011

SecondWindNC is on a distinguished road
It depends on the boat and the dock. Ease of boarding can be a factor, especially with fixed docks and/or short finger piers, as the boarding gates on most boats are somewhat aft of midships. Bow-in can mean climbing over the lifelines and down to the dock rather than having access to the boarding gate. Also, wind and current play a role. If your slip is downwind or down current, it can be advantageous to be tied stern-in, so that you can motor forward into that current when leaving the slip, providing more control than you would have by trying to build enough speed for steerage in reverse.

We have some boats on our dock that tie up bow-in, but over half prefer having the stern facing the dock, for their own various reasons. We always have the charter boats riding stern-in at the beginning of each charter, for boarding and so that the charterer can leave the slip by just motoring straight out in forward gear.

Who is staring at the sea is already sailing a little.
Old 06-28-2011
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Bow In Here

We go bow in primarily because of the privacy.

People have a tendency to look down into cockpits as they walk the dock. With our stern facing away from the dock we can keep the cabin open all night without losing privacy. If we have a passenger who might have difficulty boarding we pull the boat forward enough to let down the lifelines then readjust the lines so the bowsprit doesn't bang against the dock.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 06-28-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
All based on privacy. I have power boats on either side that are stern in. We are bow in with the stern facing open water.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 06-28-2011

ronspiker is on a distinguished road
Depends on boat, pier and mainly conditions. I prefer stern first but current and wind prevent doing that about 35% of the time.