Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2011

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Is it sailing dog [SD] we are referring to? A whole new range of views here

I think the comment above - to inform others via a calling frequency (eg VHF16) and then attempt to retrieve.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-17-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Well we did have a COB (canine over board today) at the mooring. The dinghy will not hold 3 people safely so I had just rowed the first person back to the beach and had returned to the boat to finish putting it to bed. I had just tied the dinghy off to the boat when the dog slipped (jumped), no one saw her over board. She swam all around the boat finally got to the stern where she boarded the last rung of the swim ladder that is just about at sea level. She hung out there a minute or so before I got the dinghy setup to to retrieve her.

We learned that the hoop at the top of her life jacket and the boat hook don't match up too well so I'm going to have to work something else out.
Old 07-17-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Don't loose that precious pooch David, I know you two do love her. It is a good idea to think about how to rescue your canine now rather then when it happens at the wrong time.
Hope you are getting in some precious summer boating time on whatever vessel you find yourself on.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-17-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
We lost a dog overboard and didn't see the event, but discovered him missing some time later. We turned back a were gratefull to find that another boat had picked him up. While we were searching the area, we didn't think to call for other boat's assistance on the VHF. The only boat in the area was the one within view that saved our dog. I agree with the plan to make a general call for assistance on the VHF, but I would never think of burdening the Coast Guard or expect public funding with such a task.