SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What do you do with docklines?

4K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  pdqaltair 
#1 ·
We have a 1984 Hunter 27 in a floating pier slip. We are in what i would call a "single" slip as we have floating finger piers on each side of us. The slip cannot be shared with another boat. Now for the question..... when leaving, do you uncleat from the dock and take them with you? or uncleat from the boat and leave them on the dock? We're talking about going out for a day sail. Thanks for all advice. Dale

#3 · (Edited)
You can leave your lines on the dock, where they'll be ready for you to pick up when you return. It's a bit simpler to get the boat tied up when the lines are already in place.

However it would be a good idea to have a set of "traveling" dock lines stowed on the boat in case you need to tie up somewhere else for a planned or unplanned stop.

#4 ·
You can leave your lines on the dock, where they'll be ready for you to pick up when you return. It's a bit simpler to get the boat tied up when the lines are already in place.

However it would probably be a good idea to have a set of "traveling" dock lines stowed on the boat in case you need to tie up somewhere else for a planned or unplanned stop.
Exactly. We lost our engine on July 4 and sailed back to the marina. Because I thought it might helpful to be pulled into our slip with some of the lines, I attached a spare line to the bow cleat. While I didn't need to use it, having that option, or the option of tying up somewhere else if necessary or advisable is very comforting.

But I have to tell you, if you're doing mostly day sailing like us, being able to back or pull into your slip and just put on the lines is awfully nice....

#5 ·
Same here--we leave a permanent set in the slip. They are all tied at the proper length, so all we have to do is drop the loops over our cleats. But we carry a full second set in case we want to dock somewhere else, or need the lines for some other purpose.

#8 ·
Definitely the way to go.

I have two long and two short aboard the boat too, and they are different colours. So when getting ready to dock, when I use a long spring line around the athwartships cleat, we just grab a blue line from the locker. For a bow or stern line, black. Our other spare lines are white. Took a while to arrive at this arrangement but it works well.

#7 ·
Seconded

I agree with everything everyone said and also about having a second set on board. I was once at a fuel dock that had no dock lines and had to lend some to another boat when they'd left theirs at their own dock.

I've only been to two fuel docks. One had dock lines (my home marina) and one did not. I don't know which is typical.

#10 ·
Dock lines stay at the dock, transient lines stay on the boat... Full set and more, never too many options when visiting unknown docks.

As for fuel docks on the Chesapeake, most will have lines & fenders/pads installed.

#11 ·
We are with t37...dock lines are at the dock and set up for easy docking almost have permanent set lengths.

We have a least 8 one the boat for traveling when we take our trips to NE or even for just a simple raft up. Dont forget to carry spring lines as well as fore and aft lines.

These lines should laso be in as good condition as your regular dock lines.

Mmost gas docks already have lines as well as fenders.

Dave

#12 ·
Same as the others, a set left at the dock for use upon return to slip and a traveling set (plus extras) for when we are away. If you're rafting up don't rely upon the other boat(s) to have fenders for your use. Bring your own for sure. However, if you're rafting with me, I carry extra fenders too.

#15 ·
2 sets.

* Dock set often is grimy, as parts sometimes hang in the water at certain tides.
* By leaving the dock set in place the chafing gear is always in the right places.
* My dock set is one size thicker than my travel set, for durability sake.

#16 ·
If you leave them ON the dock, then how do you tie up when you return? You can't, until after someone jumps on the dock, or someone on the dock throws you a line.

Where if you take the lines with you, you can always throw a line around a bollard or horn cleat and tie the boat to the dock, at least initially, without ever getting off the boat.

(Folks who run jump to the dock usually wind up falling on something at some point.)

#17 ·
If you leave them ON the dock, then how do you tie up when you return? You can't, until after someone jumps on the dock, or someone on the dock throws you a line.
It depends on your slip configuration.

At the end of our slip are two pilings, one for each stern line. Moving forward, at the end of the finger pier is another piling with one on the opposite side of the slip for our spring lines. Then on the dock are the pilings for the two stern lines.

As the boat drifts into the slip the person midship reaches down and attaches the spring line then does the same with the other spring line. The helmsman uses the boat hook to retrieve the bow lines from the two pilings and attaches those lines to the boat cleats.

So far, the boat is secure without having to either jump off onto the dock or rely on someone to throw us lines.

Once those lines are secure we're either handed the bow lines or we can then safely step onto the finger pier and retrieve them at our leisure.

A friend has a power boat and essentially has the same setup only he enters the slip stern first.

In your case, why couldn't you use your boat hooks to retrieve the lines? A telescoping hook goes out pretty far and with some practice twisting the line around the hook once, it won't slip off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.