Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2011

noelex77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by celenoglu View Post
Human eye works well with yellow (natural light). LED lights emit different frequencies. Although the candle power or whatever it is called is equal or more than normal hot filament light, it is not visible to the human eye. The objective of anchor light is "to be seen". Make sure you use hot filament light or similiar that is visible to human eye.
The human eye is most sensitive to green. Filament lights actually put out a lot of IR that cannot be seen.
However Lumens take into account the eyes sensitivity so you can compare the visability to a humanan observer rather than the total radiation emitted.

LED anchor lights can be much brighter than conventional bulbs (and the good ones are), because there is not a major power consumption problem to overcome.
My LED Owl is much brighter than the masthead anchor light fitted to most boats (and I have 2) It will even illuminate boats anchored close to me.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by celenoglu View Post
Human eye works well with yellow (natural light). LED lights emit different frequencies. Although the candle power or whatever it is called is equal or more than normal hot filament light, it is not visible to the human eye. The objective of anchor light is "to be seen". Make sure you use hot filament light or similiar that is visible to human eye.
Our LED anchor and nav lights are very visible and meet all coast guard requirements. Where are you getting your info from?
Old 07-27-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
That is correct, in your sailing configuration using a tricolor masthead, you would not use a stern light.

However, as soon as you turn on your engine, you need to turn off the tricolor masthead, and use the normal power vessel running lights (including the stern light on the pulpit) plus the steaming light...
I think this only applies to vessels over, what is it? 36-8' feet?
Old 07-27-2011
Both ends are pointy.

junkrig is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex77 View Post
snip...
...My LED Owl is much brighter than the masthead anchor light fitted to most boats (and I have 2) It will even illuminate boats anchored close to me.
This got me curious. My Missouri handbook says : "a white light visible from" blahblah...
You're using two. If I could use two I wouldn't have to worry about anything on the masthead where I am. So I dug out the final authority, the ColRegs. Colregs says (fresh water)
(a) a vessel at anchor shall exhibit where it can best be seen
(i) in the fore part, an all-round white light or one ball
(ii) at or near the stern and at a lower level than the light prescribed in subparagrah (i) (emphasis added), an all-round white light
(b) a vessel of less than 50 meters in length may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this rule
(c) A vessel at anchor may, and a vessel of 100 meters or more in length shall, also use the available working or equivalent lights to illuminate her decks.
The illustration attached shows the aft "all-round" light clearly mounted behind, and partly obscured by, the bridge.

So my original post was based on an error; I thought that I could only have one anchor light (from my Missouri book) and knew that it could not be seen over 360* due to obstruction from my fat mast.

All very interesting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.

Last edited by junkrig; 07-27-2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: decks. not docks, decks.
Old 07-27-2011
Both ends are pointy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinlegs View Post
I think this only applies to vessels over, what is it? 36-8' feet?
It is difficult to tell for sure from the text of the ColRegs whether it would be permissible to have green / red lights at the masthead on a power boat, above your steaming lights, but in 100% of the illustrations the white steaming (forward visible) is above the red / green sidelights. That would imply that you would have to turn off your masthead light and use deck or cabin sidelights to run under power.

Length is not a factor in these illustrations.

Just because I like it.

Last edited by junkrig; 07-27-2011 at 02:30 PM. Reason: correct spelling word "text"
Old 07-27-2011
Both ends are pointy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkrig View Post
It is difficult to tell for sure from the text of the ColRegs whether it would be permissible to have green / red lights at the masthead on a power boat, above your steaming lights, but in 100% of the illustrations the white steaming (forward visible) is above the red / green sidelights. That would imply that you would have to turn off your masthead light and use deck or cabin sidelights to run under power.

Length is not a factor in these illustrations.
However, he said, correcting himself:

the point at which the 12 meter breakpoint does come into play is that, for boats under 12 meters, it is acceptable under power to use sidelights plus one 360* white light, whereas over 12 meters the requirement is for a 225* white masthead light plus a white 67.5* sternlight. Boats over 12 meters seem not uncommon on SN.

Just because I like it.

Last edited by junkrig; 07-27-2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: include colors of lights
Old 07-27-2011
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkrig View Post
It is difficult to tell for sure from the text of the ColRegs whether it would be permissible to have green / red lights at the masthead on a power boat, above your steaming lights,....
The NAVREGS rules don't attempt to tell you EVERYTHING you cannot do, they tell you what you MUST or MAY do. The rules for power vessel sidellights and stern light are not compatible at all with the concept of a mast-head tricolor. A sailboat under power is simply another power vessel.
Old 07-27-2011

rmeador is on a distinguished road
I don't have my colregs in front of me at the moment, but I seem to recall reading somewhere in there that multiple lights within a certain distance of each other (half a meter?) can be considered one light for the purpose of the regs. Two 180-degree lights on opposite sides of the mast would thus be considered a single 360-degree light. IIRC, YMMV, IANAL, etc.
Old 07-27-2011
Both ends are pointy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
The NAVREGS rules don't attempt to tell you EVERYTHING you cannot do, they tell you what you MUST or MAY do. The rules for power vessel sidellights and stern light are not compatible at all with the concept of a mast-head tricolor. A sailboat under power is simply another power vessel.
I'm not sure here whether you're telling me that it's ok to leave your masthead lights on under power, whether it's not, or whether it doesn't matter, but here's what The Book says:

Rule 20, (b) "The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights as cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a proper look-out"

Given that there is no boat authorized to carry a masthead tricolor light, or a masthead red - over - green light, except a sailboat proceeding under sail, if you start your motor you must turn your masthead light off. Otherwise you are showing lights that can be mistaken for sailboat lights even though you're in a power boat.

Just because I like it.
Old 07-27-2011
Both ends are pointy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeador View Post
I don't have my colregs in front of me at the moment, but I seem to recall reading somewhere in there that multiple lights within a certain distance of each other (half a meter?) can be considered one light for the purpose of the regs. Two 180-degree lights on opposite sides of the mast would thus be considered a single 360-degree light. IIRC, YMMV, IANAL, etc.
Beats me. If that's in there it's somewhere in the 20 pages starting at Exeptions and carrying on through Appendix I, and it's too much for now.

Just because I like it.