SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/)
-   -   Anchor light (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/76838-anchor-light.html)

junkrig 07-26-2011 07:32 PM

Anchor light

I have the opportunity to install all new nav lights on my Nor'Sea 27. I'm figuring side marker lights well forward on the cabin sides, a sailing aft white light on a structure aft (this is my junk rig so some structures differ from a Marconi sloop) a steaming light forward of the mast to add along with the sailing aft white... but I can't see anywhere to put an anchoring light except the masthead. There is no other point on the boat from which a white light can be seen a full 360. At a minimum the mast obstructs 5-10 of view unless the light is on top.

Does anybody see this differently? A related thread recently pointed out how hard it is to see stuff up that high from close quarters, but for anchoring what choice is there?

CaptainForce 07-26-2011 07:41 PM

Parallax! Actually, lights on the horizon are easily lost with others in the distance. A high anchor light will move by parallax at a different rate than surrounding lower lights during approach. You may or may not decide to have other lights near the deck, but don't overlook the advantages of a light that is not directly in line of approach and in a position where it's distance can not be judged! Take care and joy,
Aythya crew

fryewe 07-26-2011 09:21 PM

That's the way I saw it when I reworked the nav lights on my NS27. Tricolor at the masthead with anchor light underneath. Steaming lights still at deck level, with stern light on the pushpit upper rail.

junkrig 07-26-2011 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fryewe (Post 754843)
That's the way I saw it when I reworked the nav lights on my NS27. Tricolor at the masthead with anchor light underneath. Steaming lights still at deck level, with stern light on the pushpit upper rail.

Did you buy that masthead setup as an all-in-one unit?

fryewe 07-26-2011 11:14 PM

Junk, I am ending you a response direct, off net.

noelex77 07-27-2011 06:34 AM

I think anchor lights low are far superior. If bright enough they also illuminate the superstructure making distance judgments for approaching boats much easier.
The only problem is mounting them where they can be seen 360 deg.
To overcome this I use 2 Bebi Owl lights. The power draw of these is very low, less than my previous LED anchor light , so 2 can be used for no more electrical consumption.
LED Anchor Light-Waterproof & Rugged for Marine RV and Offgrid Use

puddinlegs 07-27-2011 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fryewe (Post 754843)

It's my understanding that if you have a masthead tri-color, you cannot use a stern light on the pushpit. Anyone who knows for certain that this is not so, please feel free to jump in and set me straight. To the OP, in your case, a masthead tricolor and anchor light would work well. LED bulbs or fixtures will save a ton of electricity though cost more up front.

celenoglu 07-27-2011 09:10 AM

Human eye works well with yellow (natural light). LED lights emit different frequencies. Although the candle power or whatever it is called is equal or more than normal hot filament light, it is not visible to the human eye. The objective of anchor light is "to be seen". Make sure you use hot filament light or similiar that is visible to human eye.

sailingfool 07-27-2011 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puddinlegs (Post 754958)
It's my understanding that if you have a masthead tri-color, you cannot use a stern light on the pushpit. ...

That is correct, in your sailing configuration using a tricolor masthead, you would not use a stern light.

However, as soon as you turn on your engine, you need to turn off the tricolor masthead, and use the normal power vessel running lights (including the stern light on the pulpit) plus the steaming light...

junkrig 07-27-2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puddinlegs (Post 754958)
It's my understanding that if you have a masthead tri-color, you cannot use a stern light on the pushpit. Anyone who knows for certain that this is not so, please feel free to jump in and set me straight. To the OP, in your case, a masthead tricolor and anchor light would work well. LED bulbs or fixtures will save a ton of electricity though cost more up front.

The post you quoted said "steaming lights at deck level" which was when he intended to use that pushpit light.
As you probably know, the only absolute difference between sail lights and steaming lights is the forward visible white while steaming. Two deck level side lights plus a white light visible from aft only satisfies sailing light requirements; add a forward/side visible white light not less than one meter above your side markers and you're good for steaming.
My problem is I have a fat free standing mast and wherever I mount the anchor light except the masthead, about 10 or more of its visibility is obscured.:( Otherwise I'd blow off the masthead light entirely for now. It's optional and I'm on a lake.