Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2011
Both ends are pointy.

junkrig is on a distinguished road
Question Anchor light

I have the opportunity to install all new nav lights on my Nor'Sea 27. I'm figuring side marker lights well forward on the cabin sides, a sailing aft white light on a structure aft (this is my junk rig so some structures differ from a Marconi sloop) a steaming light forward of the mast to add along with the sailing aft white... but I can't see anywhere to put an anchoring light except the masthead. There is no other point on the boat from which a white light can be seen a full 360°. At a minimum the mast obstructs 5-10° of view unless the light is on top.

Does anybody see this differently? A related thread recently pointed out how hard it is to see stuff up that high from close quarters, but for anchoring what choice is there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Seablossom Nor'Sea 27 with modern junk rig.
Just because I like it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
Parallax! Actually, lights on the horizon are easily lost with others in the distance. A high anchor light will move by parallax at a different rate than surrounding lower lights during approach. You may or may not decide to have other lights near the deck, but don't overlook the advantages of a light that is not directly in line of approach and in a position where it's distance can not be judged! Take care and joy,
Aythya crew
Old 07-26-2011

fryewe is on a distinguished road
That's the way I saw it when I reworked the nav lights on my NS27. Tricolor at the masthead with anchor light underneath. Steaming lights still at deck level, with stern light on the pushpit upper rail.
Old 07-26-2011
Both ends are pointy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
That's the way I saw it when I reworked the nav lights on my NS27. Tricolor at the masthead with anchor light underneath. Steaming lights still at deck level, with stern light on the pushpit upper rail.
Did you buy that masthead setup as an all-in-one unit?

Just because I like it.
Old 07-26-2011

fryewe is on a distinguished road
Junk, I am ending you a response direct, off net.
Old 07-27-2011

noelex77 is on a distinguished road
I think anchor lights low are far superior. If bright enough they also illuminate the superstructure making distance judgments for approaching boats much easier.
The only problem is mounting them where they can be seen 360 deg.
To overcome this I use 2 Bebi Owl lights. The power draw of these is very low, less than ˝ my previous LED anchor light , so 2 can be used for no more electrical consumption.
LED Anchor Light-Waterproof & Rugged for Marine RV and Offgrid Use
Old 07-27-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
It's my understanding that if you have a masthead tri-color, you cannot use a stern light on the pushpit. Anyone who knows for certain that this is not so, please feel free to jump in and set me straight. To the OP, in your case, a masthead tricolor and anchor light would work well. LED bulbs or fixtures will save a ton of electricity though cost more up front.
Old 07-27-2011

celenoglu is on a distinguished road
Human eye works well with yellow (natural light). LED lights emit different frequencies. Although the candle power or whatever it is called is equal or more than normal hot filament light, it is not visible to the human eye. The objective of anchor light is "to be seen". Make sure you use hot filament light or similiar that is visible to human eye.
Old 07-27-2011
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinlegs View Post
It's my understanding that if you have a masthead tri-color, you cannot use a stern light on the pushpit. ...
That is correct, in your sailing configuration using a tricolor masthead, you would not use a stern light.

However, as soon as you turn on your engine, you need to turn off the tricolor masthead, and use the normal power vessel running lights (including the stern light on the pulpit) plus the steaming light...
Old 07-27-2011
Both ends are pointy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddinlegs View Post
It's my understanding that if you have a masthead tri-color, you cannot use a stern light on the pushpit. Anyone who knows for certain that this is not so, please feel free to jump in and set me straight. To the OP, in your case, a masthead tricolor and anchor light would work well. LED bulbs or fixtures will save a ton of electricity though cost more up front.
The post you quoted said "steaming lights at deck level" which was when he intended to use that pushpit light.
As you probably know, the only absolute difference between sail lights and steaming lights is the forward visible white while steaming. Two deck level side lights plus a white light visible from aft only satisfies sailing light requirements; add a forward/side visible white light not less than one meter above your side markers and you're good for steaming.
My problem is I have a fat free standing mast and wherever I mount the anchor light except the masthead, about 10° or more of its visibility is obscured. Otherwise I'd blow off the masthead light entirely for now. It's optional and I'm on a lake.

Just because I like it.

Last edited by junkrig; 07-27-2011 at 09:41 AM. Reason: clarify