Correction for Leeway - Coastal Navigation Question - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2011

tomandchris is on a distinguished road
I thinkthat JRD is probably correct and the OP is trying for a captains license or taking Coastal Nav from ASA which is I think more difficult. It is all fine to suggest that he just look at it or use his GPS, but that does not answer his question.

Leeway and current set can be calculated. I suggest Pyzel's Coastal Navigation book which is used for ASA. I took the course but lent the book to someone and have never gotten it back. I admit that I do just look at it and use my GPS, but also keep paper charts and plot for the practice. I just don't worry about Leeway or set as usually my next mark is not more than 50 miles away.
OP, know that there are some incorrect answers in both Pyzel and the USCG books, as well as many of the ASA books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2011

kwindancer is on a distinguished road
Hi All,

Thanks so much for your help. This question is actually from a home study workbook from a sailing school in the West Coast (SF Bay Area) for a U.S. Sailing Coastal Navigation certification. The problem is written by the school.

The problem states that "the winds are west at 22 knots when you depart point A at 1530 assuming a leeway of 4 degrees and a boat speed of 6 knots.

The variation on the chart is 14 degrees East. There is no mention of deviation.
The track from A to B is 145 degrees magnetic.

My assumption (correct me if I'm wrong) is the wind is coming from the WEST as opposed to from the EAST.

Let me add more information, if this helps. From the Current Tables, current velocity is 3.48 Ebb, and Ebb direction is 266 degrees TRUE.

Does this help? Thanks.
Old 07-31-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Let me add more information, if this helps. From the Current Tables, current velocity is 3.48 Ebb, and Ebb direction is 266 degrees TRUE.

Does this help? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Well...yeah, Information regarding a 3.5 kn current would have been useful.

Any more rabbits in the hat?

So this is a compound problem... Set and Drift... and Leeway.

You need to compute the course to steer using the set and drift.... This is where your, time, distance and speed now become a factor....

Then apply the leeway... after.... you figure out the CST from the set and drift problem

Good luck...

Don't forget to use TVMDC..to go from true to mag..or visa versa..

Normally when I see these course books...they give you a deviation table to work with too...keep looking..I'll bet you it's there somewhere.

here's a you tube video for ya ... he could have done this a little better..but you get the idea.

Last edited by Tempest; 07-31-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-03-2011

kwindancer is on a distinguished road
Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. It all make sense to me now.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.