Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
BTW, beautiful little (private?) marina. Are you on a canal somewhere?
They sure did not make it easy for you. Good luck singlehanding. I am sure you will get the hang of it.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2011

jaminotte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBilll View Post
Any reason you don't nose in, like the boat next to you?
with the uber short finger pier, it is much easier to have the boat stern-to.
Old 08-18-2011

meuritt is on a distinguished road
I have a boat with starboard prop walk, we can turn it more or less in place, counter clockwise. The new slip I have recently taken is the first I have had where I have current (small) and wind to contend with. A pilothouse ketch, windage is an issue. While this is the widest slip I have ever had, it is the most difficult to enter because it is starboard, and winds this year have tended to push the bow further than... enough excuses.

We are working with spring lines. The exit plan is great, 100' line from the stern cleat to a dock cleat and back aboard, back out, letting out the line until the bow is clear, snub the line using the winch and the bow dutifully, and quickly, points in the desired direction of travel, against the prevailing wind.

Coming in, the theory is to all but stop at an angle to the slip, spring line attached near the stays, or on the stays, is quickly tossed over either the piling if we can reach it, or a dock cleat, slack is taken and a quick but gentle nudge with the prop and we are drama free into the slip. It mostly works, we haven't come up with the exact combination for the 13 ton, high windage, 37' long boat. I think we are a bit too far forward with the line.

Based upon my complete inexperience, but I have watched the video and read a book, it seems to me that coming in, taking the available line from the piling and using the motor power to get the boat lined up would be a good place to start. I can't imagine being able to back that far in my boat.

the video I refer to is Captain Jack Klang Single Handed Docking.
Old 09-06-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
Your plan should work. My boat walks to Starboard. So I go past the slip (like yours) in forward, then backup to let the prop walk and prevailing wind (from Starboard) steer her into the slip. More wind - less throttle. Less wind - more throttle. In your case, with little wind (I'm jealous!), it should be a piece of cake. It may take a couple of stabs to see how far she wants to be from the end pilings to make the turn, but no shame in that. Put her in forward, motor out, and try again. Let us know what you discover.
Old 09-07-2011
randy capedory 25d seraph

rtbates is on a distinguished road
Bow in!
Old 03-01-2013

dorymate1 is on a distinguished road
Re: How would you dock her?

Every time you bring your boat to the slip it will be differant. So try a couple of ways to have them ready. The most important thing in any docking is to know the wind and current effects @ the time of arrival. So the first thing I do is come to a complete stop and take stock of the situation. I do agree that starting a reverse maneuver give your self a good enough start in open area to get moving and gain steering control. Biggest mistake helmsmen make is stopping just before getting into a slip. This makes it like starting from scratch.or just a back and fill. So keep the boat moving and steer her in. Remember you have very good stopping power going back into forward. 2 hints keep the boat moving & more power Scotty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
May you weather all storms
Old 03-01-2013

deltaten is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Hmmm???
Seems ta me a straight in the cove, bow to port as you come up on the slip (at #3 pic) and back 'er in with the prop walk..but that's all just an uninformed opinion from looking at the pix.

Last edited by deltaten; 03-01-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 03-01-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

OP has had lots of time to practice... Last Activity: 12-11-2011 It's an Old thread people! well not that old.. as far as some are...
jimgo likes this.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.