Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Hey MarkSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
It's a Bristol 31.1.
Is this your boat? BRISTOL 31.1 sailboat on sailboatdata.com
If so why not at least put a link to your boat in your signature or put your boat make/model on your profile here. It would save dorks like me always asking you which boat you have. Just a suggestion and not a put down in any way.
Looking at the shape of your hull (if the diagram in my link is correct) you need very little jib to heave to and balance the main. If you have a furler you should be able to dial it in to what works.
I say this because I have a more full keeled boat and we can heave to with nearly a full jib usually. Your hull, while not a fin keel is not that far off and should turn pretty sprightly unlike my boat which takes some time to tack. To heave to your boat you need much more main then genoa up and you will find the balance it takes. In the SF Bay winds you get you may even need to reef the main and furl in the jib. You will figure it out but you've got to practice this in various wind strengths to really know what to do.
Sometimes just the main alone is enough to fore reach on. For more on forereaching go to: FAQs
This couple has sailed
way more then me.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2011

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Caleb, yes that's the boat.

Yes, I would call it a modified fin keel. The jib is also very large compared to the main.

I've just got a brand new 100% jib, to replace the 150%. The problem with the 150 was that, when reefed to 100% or less, the shape wasn't great. In fact, it was old, so the shape wasn't great ever! So this may have contributed to the behaviour.

Anyway this weekend I'll try heaving to with the new jib, if that doesn't work will try furling it even smaller first.
Old 08-11-2011

puddinlegs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Caleb, yes that's the boat.

Yes, I would call it a modified fin keel. The jib is also very large compared to the main.

I've just got a brand new 100% jib, to replace the 150%. The problem with the 150 was that, when reefed to 100% or less, the shape wasn't great. In fact, it was old, so the shape wasn't great ever! So this may have contributed to the behaviour.

Anyway this weekend I'll try heaving to with the new jib, if that doesn't work will try furling it even smaller first.
In reality, you aren't really going to heave to with a 150% genoa in any boat. For your boat, the 100% may or may not work. I'd guess the latter. With a storm jib in a big breeze, then you might be good to go. At that point, the storm jib isn't going to be pressed against shrouds, spreaders, etc... and self destruct.
Old 08-11-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
Mark,

I think for your purpose..of taking in a reef, the goal is to take pressure off the main, so that you can ease the halyard and not have to fight the sail down. So, finding the right balance of rudder and jib is the key imo. If you have to harden up the mainsheet too much to hold your position, that kind of defeats the purpose. So in 25 knots, probaby a small jib would be enough. I have not sailed in SF Bay, but I understand the currents run strong. This is going to add an additional factor to your rudder positioning, depending on the strength and direction of the current vs the wind, you just have to play with it.

I don't know how the 31.1 behaves. I owned a 29 for many years. It tended to take a reef pretty early. I would have probably had 2 reefs by 25 knots. From what I read here about the SF Bay afternoon winds and have seen, I would probably have to leave the dock with at least one reef in 90 % of the time. Are the winds ever lite out there?
It seems like 15 to 25 is the norm.
Old 08-11-2011

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
MarkSF,

The key to successfully heaving-to is to have the jib aback. To do this, sail on a close reach or a beat on one tack, then tack the boat thru the wind but don't touch the jib sheet. Leave the helm down, i.e., with the rudder turned away from the now windward side.

The boat will heel over quite a bit as the jib backs, but it will settle down quickly and begin a gentle forereaching and sliding off the wind, leaving a slick to windward.

This works well with most boats in most waters, including on SF Bay (I used to teach sailing in Sausalito).

You may have to ease the main a bit and with practice you'll see how your boat heaves-to best in varying conditions.

Again, the key is leaving the jib aback, so that it blankets the luff of the main.

Then, when you're ready to go, just release the jib sheet and trim on the other side.

Good luck this weekend.

Bill

Last edited by btrayfors; 08-11-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-11-2011

Bill, Rudder goes to windward...the backed jib pushes the bow to leeward..the rudder to windward counteracts.

Last edited by Tempest; 08-11-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-11-2011

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
I have a heavy displacement modified full keel boat(Tayanna 37) and have difficulity getting it to point more into the wind when hove to. In fact most of the time I'm almost 90 degrees to the wind which is not much better than lying ahull. The Tayanna is cutter rigged and dousing the self tacking staysail has little effect on the position relative to the wind. The yankee has a high cut clew and while it's not a large sail it's probably over powering the effect of the main and rudder which are both trying to turn the boat into the wind. I'm going to try and see how well the boat heaves to under main along and wonder if anyone else out there has had good results under main alone with rudder locked hard turning the boat to windward?
Old 08-11-2011

Lancelot, Perry had commented that the Tayana was a difficult boat to balance.. citing the mast being pretty far aft and the rake...usually the complaint was weather helm..
His solution was to suggest taking the rake out of the mast....How does that match up to your experience?

Have you tried staysail..and no yankee?
Old 08-11-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Mark, I'm not seeing where you addressed this question: When you attempted to heave to, did you keep the tiller/wheel turned towards the boom?

If so, then the others are probably right that about adjusting your main trim to balance things out.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 08-11-2011

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Lancelot, Perry had commented that the Tayana was a difficult boat to balance.. citing the mast being pretty far aft and the rake...usually the complaint was weather helm..
His solution was to suggest taking the rake out of the mast....How does that match up to your experience?

Have you tried staysail..and no yankee?
Since the staysail is on a club boom it's not easy to back wind. My mast has no rake to it and it does not suffer from excessive weather helm. In fact I'm able to adjust the sails such that I can leave the helm on a close reach and the boat will stay on course if the wind remains constant.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.