Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2004

lars_doyle is on a distinguished road
27-28FT

Check out a Liberty 28. They are well built and displace around 12,000 lbs. Plus, most of them were cutter rigged. Usually go for around $20-25K.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2004

J_anderzen is on a distinguished road
27-28FT

If circumnavigation is a personal project a 27 footer is a perfect choice from an economic perspective. A circumnavigation is a 2 years plus project and unless you have a gigantic cash reserve you need to minimize expenses. 27 feed may not be ideal in terms of comfort, but it may be the only option for many people. I''m thinking about an Albin Vega myself for this very reason.

A danish sailor did one and a half times a round in a 17 footer starting his journey in his late sixties - so it can deffinetely be done in a small vessel!
Old 03-27-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
27-28FT

Every imaginable boat of small stature has, it seems, made a Circle at one time or another. What''s impressive about the Vega is that there are at least six Circles to its credit plus many, many Atlantic double-crossings. There is a point past which anecdotal reports and one-time accomplishments stop being unique and start fairing a reliable curve, I think.

Jack
Old 05-25-2004

rskaug is on a distinguished road
27-28FT

I haven''t been on sailnet for quite a while so I hope you all will indulge me in resurecting this discussion. I bought a Balboa 27 (4700#) in complete ignorance about a year ago. I feel like I got lucky. The more I sail it the better I like it and as soon as I can sell my house I plan to trailer it between Sea of Cortez and Washington, BC, and Alaska. If I ever get the urge to make a longer crossing I''ll put her into a shipping container and reboard on the other side.

I think there are a lot of good reasons not to want a bigger boat, and unless you are particularly drawn to the challenge of open ocean crossings why bother?

Old 11-16-2004

HenryEalyt is on a distinguished road
27-28FT

Would like to make contact with anyone taking the 2005 Grand World Voyage with HAL on the Prinsendam leaving Los Angles 1.29.05.

Thanks,

Henry
Old 11-27-2004

starcresttoo is on a distinguished road
27-28FT

nevermind the size.there are many well found seaworthy boats on the bottom.what are your capabilities....
Old 12-24-2004

RoadTool is on a distinguished road
27-28FT

Does anyone have a site or sites list for online reference to outfitting whatever size boat for extended cruising ?
Old 12-24-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
27-28FT

Road, if there was such an online reference - and there may be - the first question would be whether ''extended cruising'' as they define it fits how you define it. ''Cruising'' is a terribly abused term, here & elsewhere, and almost means something different for every one of us.

But where does that leave someone who wants to know about basic outfitting needs? Not that it''s your only option, but a suggestion I''d offer is to pick up a few books written in the 70''s or early 80''s and that coach the reader on prepping a boat for offshore sailing. These almost inevitably will direct the reader to the truly important, basic boat issues because there simply weren''t lots of systems to distract one back then. Here are a few examples, all of which are dirt cheap now and all applicable to your question:

After 50,000 Miles by Hal Roth
The Cruising Life by Ross Norgrove
Log of the Mahina by John Neal - a ''cruising story'' of a 27'' Vega, sailed by a young fellow deep into the So Pacific and back to Seattle; the appendix talks about outfitting a small boat for a big trip
Mahina Tiarre, Pacific Passages by John Neal - another ''cruising chronicle'' of a 31'' sloop and again with a practical appendix on outfitting a small boat

The minute you get past the basics (things like reliable self-steering, all-weather rig & sails, functional layout, seaworthy hull form, unquestioned rudder & steering integrity, strong & suitable anchor handling gear, and practical navigation capability), there is a lot of subjectivity in choices that often are a function of one''s pocketbook more than the demands of the passage.

Jack
Old 12-10-2006

scurvy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to scurvy
For a 27' that will take you around the world....Albin Vega! We love ours....can talk to you more about them if you wish offline. In the meantime check out these sites:

www.runtjorden.com

http://www.bluemoment.com/boatreviews/vegareview.html

Good luck with your search
Chris
Old 12-10-2006

Newport41 is on a distinguished road
Why not set out a price range rather than a length. 27-28 feet seems an odd thing to shoot for. I don't think you need to go very large like some but I think 36ft would be much more comfortable, safe, and quick.