Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2003

Jeffamc is on a distinguished road
27-28FT

Hello, I was wonderin if anyone could name some well built 27-28 footers that are good for sailing around the world.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
27-28FT

There is no such thing as a 27 to 28 foot boat that is ideal for sailing around the world. If you are an exceptionally good sailor, or exceptionally lucky or a combination of both you might get by circumnavigating on a boat that small. (And, yes, I know a lot of people have taken boats that small around.) When you start with that kind of sailing length, it becomes very difficult to carry the necessary supplies and stores without making huge compromises in sailing abilities.

A friend of mine who went to the Art Institute of Chicago had a professor who used to say, "Only a genius can do great work with bad tools and a genius wouldn''t try to do great work with bad tools." The boat that you sail around the world should be the right tool for YOUR needs in order to make this voyage. This is not meant as a put down, but if you had the kind of sailing experience that it takes to make a circumnavigation in a boat this small, you probably wouldn''t be asking that question. You would understand why that is too small a boat to be reasonable. And,yes, before the flaming starts, I know that a lot of small boats have tried to made the trip around. But of those the majority of those never make it.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Old 08-20-2003

LurkerDog is on a distinguished road
27-28FT

You might look at the Bristol Channel Cutter (28'' LOD) and the Falmouth Cutter (22'' LOD), both designed by Lyle Hess and built by Sam L. Morse Co. See http://www.samlmorse.com/

Bill
Old 08-20-2003

maxcontax is on a distinguished road
27-28FT

There are a few famous little boats, one such is the Contessa 26 and 32. they''re vintage boats so you''d want to spend time with one and likely do a major refit before heading out. No personal contact with one, just the tales.
Old 08-20-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
27-28FT

The Contessa 26 is actually a masthead rigged version of a Folkboat (although Contessa also produced a version that was a Folkboat complete with its original fractional rig.) I owned a Folkboat back in the 1970''s and really loved this little boat. These are super boats in many ways. But while I know that quite a few Folkboats and Contessa 26''s that have done circumnavigations and long distance passages, these are very small 26 footers that really lack the kind of weight bearing capacities and storage abilities that make them a reasonable choice for a globe trotter. While I lived on my Folkboat as a 23 year old and had no problem getting around without and engine, the 4''6 head room (Contessa''s have a little more than that) and low freeboard when added to the marginally the lack of self-bailing cockpits (they are below the waterline if loaded to go voyaging) when combined with the downflooding exposuer of their sail lockers make them a dubious choice at best.

While the Contessa 32 has gotten good press as seaworthy example of a late RORC/ early IOR race boat, that press has to be viewed in the context in which it was generated. The Contessa 32''s reputation comes from the almost 25 year old study that was performed post Fastnet Disaster. The conclusion was that the Contessa 32 was seaworthy for a "Raceboat" of that era. We now understand a lot more about seaworthiness and proper engineering and while the Contessa 32 was certainly a good boat for its day with reasonably comfortable motion and a comparatively low center of gravity for that era, compared for example to boats designed for offshore cruising in the wake of the Fastnet research, I am not really sure that the Contessa 32 is all that great an offshore boat, especially when loaded heavily with stores and gear which would tend to raise the VCG.

Respectfully,
Jeff
Old 08-21-2003

Jeffamc is on a distinguished road
27-28FT

I would think you could do it in any Tartan 27 or a Sabre 28. You will be all set if its only 2-3 people with you, bring alot of rice, vitamins, and i guess u could catch fish and other seafood.
Old 11-19-2003
Mr. Bill

e-27 sailor is on a distinguished road
27-28FT

The Nor''sea 27 is a bullet proof pocket cruiser with bluewater capability.
http://www.norseayachts.com/home.html
Old 11-21-2003

pirateofcapeann is on a distinguished road
27-28FT

Yea, my very own Jesse Boyce was built for just that possibility and, who knows… She''s based on L. F. Herreshoff''s "Solitaire" design, no. 76 cira 1940 but the scantlings are massive and over killed in extreme! I can hook you up with the builder if you want to spend the splash on a one off but you better act quick ‘cause he’s looking at the big 70 and the joints aren’t what they use to be. Him and his son are currently rebuilding the folkboat Eira that raced in the first OSTAR. They’re talking about entering her in the 50th anniversary of the race. Woodenboat is supposed to be putting out an article soon. I’ll tell ya’ this, Fred ain’t much for pretty carved brightwork and posh cabinetry but when the crap hits the fan, you know that those massive, chain sawn and hand hued timbers are going to hold together and get your sorry butt through. And that is worth a handful of them “pink lady” barges any day!
Old 11-24-2003

coondogger is on a distinguished road
27-28FT

Wasn''t the aforementioned Folkboat modified with a junk sail?
Old 11-24-2003

27-28FT

No, that was a folkboat with its traditional fractional rig. Jester was the Folkboat with the Junk rig.

Jeff