Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
On the question of speed.

I tell students that they should control their speed with the transmission (forward, neutral, reverse) to maintain steerage way. The throttle should only be used in reverse to stop the boat.

We usually use fin keel boats. Full keel boats need some additional speed to mainatin steerage way.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2011

WhiskyJohn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
As a rule, if you're not bored as you come into a pier/slip, you're going too fast.
And watch the faces of anyone waiting to catch your lines... if they have that "hurry up, why are you taking so long" look on thier face, you're coming in just fine.

Another thing I've learned... you know how _your_ boat handles better than any "helpful" opinions trying to convince you to do it their way. You know how the current and or wind affects you, how your propwalk can be used or not used, whether your boat reverses well and how it handles in reverse etc. (I've a full keel boat that is posessed by demons when in reverse, but I've learned to use the prop walk to great effect for example)

Learn to trust your judgement, and give clear instructions to anyone helping catch or release lines for you. Often folks will attempt to force your boat to do what they think is correct, rather than what you had in mind.
Old 08-28-2011

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskyJohn View Post
And watch the faces of anyone waiting to catch your lines... if they have that "hurry up, why are you taking so long" look on thier face, you're coming in just fine.
One manual I use says never hand off a line to someone on the dock.

Many folks do not understand how a sailboat moves when a line is pulled.

If you are prepared to hand off a line, only pass a centre line / mid ship line. Tugging that will cause less grief. Never pass a bow breast line; a good tug that will cause you to lose the stern.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 08-28-2011

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
I have to say that my docking is something that I'm truly proud of. Nice slow approach, no-touch on either side, a bit of reverse to stop forward motion and bring the stern to port, step off and secure the lines. No drama. Of course, it doesn't hurt that a Catalina 36 handles like a Chevrolet under power....totally predictable.

Mike
Old 08-28-2011

remetau is on a distinguished road
I always go as slow as she will do to maintain steerage. I put the throttle at about 1100 RPM and take in and out of gear as needed.

After breaking my wrist trying to hold somebody's bow off a dock and jammed into a piling, I no longer will take risks with boats. If it hits the dock, then it hits the dock. The dock and the boat are easier to repair than my body.
DRFerron and Minnewaska like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-29-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
On the question of speed.

I tell students that they should control their speed with the transmission (forward, neutral, reverse) to maintain steerage way. The throttle should only be used in reverse to stop the boat.

We usually use fin keel boats. Full keel boats need some additional speed to maintain steerage way.
As I've indicated, I agree with using the transmission. The issue is how much some skippers are depending on the reverse thrust to stop them. If you are moving at a speed at which the lack of reverse thrust will allow the boat to "bump" the dock, thats one thing. However, if it causes a 10 ton boat to climb the dock and ram into a boardwalk in back of (and 7 feet above!) the dock....thats another issue!
Regarding steerage; As long as a full keel boat is headed straight for her slip, wouldn't she be pretty much locked in (a strong cross current not withstanding)? I thought tracking is one of the advantages to a full keel. If not (and the boat actually needs the speed), I would certainly have nimble crew ready to perform the spring line trick on every approach. If a kid on the boardwalk had been watching us dock, it could have been ugly! Not to mention... it's no way to treat a lovely 60 year old boat.
Old 08-29-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I am from the school where no one ever gets off the boat until we have at least one spring line holding us against the dock, while applying idle power against it. No exceptions.
How do you rig the spring line so you can grab it quickly on approach? I know that some people hang them off pilings, but some docks (mine, for example) don't have pilings in the appropriate location.
Old 08-29-2011
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Never put oneself between inertia and mass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-29-2011

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I teach folks how to dock yachts under sail. We use a stern breast line to stop the forward motion. Then get a centre line tie on ASAP.
If you have a cross wind or current pushing you off the dock, just get a centre line tie on. Then worry about getting the breast and spring lines on.
Breast line or Spring line?

B/c a SPRING line will stop a boat while allowing it to move fwd. A Breasting line is perpendicular to the hull and fwd motion will cause the boat to twist in the slip.
I used to dock a Hans Christian 43 Ketch (approx. 33000#) with just a single spring line. snub to a stop. idle fwd, lock the rudder w/ just a little port rudder and then walk around and tie off all four docklines. No fuss, no muss.
Your spring line should be the first line you put on. THAT IS YOUR BRAKE! Even if you have the engine jammed in gear you won't hit the dock head on; maybe scrape it, maybe spin in place and bang a piling but if you get the spring on you will not go fwd.

And yes, too many people come in too fast. As already noted, only if you have current/crosswind issues should you come in w/ speed on.
ottos likes this.
Old 08-29-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
How do you rig the spring line so you can grab it quickly on approach? I know that some people hang them off pilings, but some docks (mine, for example) don't have pilings in the appropriate location.
The easiest way it to have one left on the dock that is a different color from any other, so you can ask anyone who might be there to hand you the (red) line, or whatever color it is.

However, if no one is available, you take a long line and tie it off to the mid-ship cleat. Then take the line and make two small coils, one in each hand with about 4 feet of line between them, so that you can throw them over whatever you want to loop around on the dock. A cleat is great, but a piling, bollard, block or anything secure will do. Of course, when you throw the two coils, you must hold onto the untied bitter end so the line just loops over your target. You then pull the bitter end back to the appropriate length and tie right over top the first cleat hitch.

You never leave the boat and you have a line that runs from the boat to the dock and back to the boat. It is not a lasoo, you are only throwing a bunch of line behind whatever you want to catch and pull back against it. Takes about three practice tries for anyone to become a pro. Works every time.
ottos and RonRelyea like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.