Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2011

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Is this what you are thinking of? I tied this around the splice that I just made.

I might give this a try today if this is it.

Dave
It's real close Dave and probably would work fine but here's the halyard knot.
The main feature of the knot is that it doesn't deform and thereby weaken the standing part of the line

dhays likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
Thanks Knothead. It looks like two round turns around the standing part of the line then passing the bitter end through the turns going away from the shackle. I'll give that a try in the morning.

Dave
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-03-2011

OK, Knothead does this look correct? These are the knots attaching my sheets to the clew. So far they held in 16knots apparent close hauled.

My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-04-2011

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
They certainly look like the halyard knot to me. I wish I had known that you were planning to use them for sheets though. I would have mentioned that the halyard knot is difficult or impossible to untie after it's been loaded. You will usually have to cut them off.

When I replace my genoa sheets, I always buy a single piece and use a Larks head knot in the middle. After a few years, when I want to move the spots that show a little chafe, I will cut the line, end for end the two pieces and then use bowlines.
Sheets are usually overly large so that you can grip them, so they are strong that the amount of strength that you lose using a bowline is not important.
Old 09-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
They certainly look like the halyard knot to me. I wish I had known that you were planning to use them for sheets though. I would have mentioned that the halyard knot is difficult or impossible to untie after it's been loaded. You will usually have to cut them off.

When I replace my genoa sheets, I always buy a single piece and use a Larks head knot in the middle. After a few years, when I want to move the spots that show a little chafe, I will cut the line, end for end the two pieces and then use bowlines.
Sheets are usually overly large so that you can grip them, so they are strong that the amount of strength that you lose using a bowline is not important.
Cutting them off won't be an issue. I was looking for an alternative to the bowline since those tend to get caught on my spreaders when tacking. This knot doesn't seem to as much, at least so far.

Dave
My Blog on
Old 09-05-2011

afrinus is on a distinguished road
Dave

I just experienced the same problem. Yesterday I did my first splice.
All I did to get past this issue was to go down one fid size (smaller).
I had to taper cut the core's tip to get it into the fid, but once I did that it was very easy.

Pete
Old 09-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrinus View Post
I just experienced the same problem. Yesterday I did my first splice.
All I did to get past this issue was to go down one fid size (smaller).
I had to taper cut the core's tip to get it into the fid, but once I did that it was very easy.
I had tried a smaller fid size, but that didn't seem to work for me. My bent coat hanger worked amazing well however. I'll keep one in my bag one the boat.

Dave
My Blog on
Old 09-05-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Cutting them off won't be an issue. I was looking for an alternative to the bowline since those tend to get caught on my spreaders when tacking. This knot doesn't seem to as much, at least so far.

Dave
David--

For some reason folks seem to think that having the knots connecting sheets to the clew need to be right at the cringle. In fact, there is no reason for that and all that bulk makes tacking a pain in the neck as it is bound to get hung up on the baby stay (if one has one) and the shrouds. I found that making very large loops--leaving 12-18" between the clew and a bowline largely eliminates the problem. Of course, if you are willing to settle for continuous sheets, a cow-hitch will work, but otherwise try the foregoing. It's worked for me!

/s/ SK
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 09-26-2011

allene222 is on a distinguished road
Samson has a method for splicing used line that works easily. It is not as strong as a normal splice, but is likely twice as strong as a bowline so likely strong enough. They basically just cut off the core and don't bother. The numbers work like this - half the load is carried by both a cover and core. Half the load is carried by just the cover. The cover has half the strength so the overall splice should be about line strength. But the line with a bowline is about half the strength of the line so you are better off even with this less than perfect splice then you were with the bowline. I have a copy of the pdf on L-36.com. I think it is on the Samson site as well.
Eye Splice In Used Line;
Old 09-26-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
After successfully splicing 1/2 inch line as a learning exercise, I bought some 3/8th inch line for a spinnaker halyard. I bought extra in case I screwed up the splice, but 3 tries later, I still couldn't get the core back into the cover. I can't see photos of your coat hanger tool here at work, but I'm going to check it out when I get home.
1973 Pearson 30 #255

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.