Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
Splicing problem

Hi All,

I've never been good with double braid splicing, but I have identified where I run into my problem.

After pulling the core, tapering the cover, putting the cover inside the core, I run into problems putting the core back inside the cover. Specifically, I can't get the fid far enough past the point where the core originally comes out of the cover. It is just too tight. I've tried a bunch of things, but really have a tough time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Sure wish splicing DB was as easy as 3-strand.

Dave
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-02-2011

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Some ropes are tougher to splice than others, and a doublebraided line that has already been used or put under load can be almost impossible to splice. I found that my big rubber mallet helps a lot, I "tenderize" my line for a bit and then get another millimeter before repeating the process. I have a very thin steel fid to pull the line through, it is thinner than Brion Toss' magic wand and I also thin the core down before pulling it.
Do you know which brand line you are splicing?
dhays likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 09-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Some ropes are tougher to splice than others, and a doublebraided line that has already been used or put under load can be almost impossible to splice. I found that my big rubber mallet helps a lot, I "tenderize" my line for a bit and then get another millimeter before repeating the process. I have a very thin steel fid to pull the line through, it is thinner than Brion Toss' magic wand and I also thin the core down before pulling it.
Do you know which brand line you are splicing?
That may be part of my problem. I'm trying to splice some older line. I have lots of old line around and want to make a few simple utility pieces, not for any running rigging.

However, I also want to eventually splice loops in my genny sheets and then use soft shackles. I'm getting really tired of the bowlines hanging up on the shrouds. The sheets are in good shape, but they are about 5 years old so they may be difficult to splice.

Dave
My Blog on
Old 09-02-2011

Well, I decided to try something else. I took a metal coat hanger, and after using the pusher to create the tunnel , I folded the coat hanger back onto itself and fed it through and pulled, rather than pushed the core through the cover. It worked. The splice is stiff, but strong. I think that this may be the answer to my problems and after a couple more practice runs on some old line, I'll try it on my genny sheets.

Dave
My Blog on
Old 09-02-2011

overbored is on a distinguished road
good that you got it. you can try a smaller diameter fid. open up the cover with a large fid and feed the line with a smaller one. also try wetting the line where it is feeding thru. feed the fid thru shorter sections at a time. feed the line in and out and then go back into the same place it came out and then out futher down the line until you get the overlap you need.
dhays likes this.
Old 09-02-2011
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Hi All,

I've never been good with double braid splicing, but I have identified where I run into my problem.

After pulling the core, tapering the cover, putting the cover inside the core, I run into problems putting the core back inside the cover. Specifically, I can't get the fid far enough past the point where the core originally comes out of the cover. It is just too tight. I've tried a bunch of things, but really have a tough time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Sure wish splicing DB was as easy as 3-strand.

Dave
David--

Old line is tough to work with. I have done it but it's a pain as you've discovered. Start by ensuring your line is as clean as possible and dry. When the core is wet it swells a bit making things tighter. Next, before starting the splice, try to pull a couple of inches of the core out of the cover at the end of the line so that you can get a grip on the core and then "milk" the cover back as far as it will go. That will loosen the weave of the cover and allow the core to expand more easily when you're actually making the splice. Then pull the cover back in place and proceed with the splice in the usual fashion. While some guides tell you to make a knot in the line 5 or 10-fid lengths from the point of the splice, I have found (by trial and many errors) that going further up the line also helps with old line. One trick to getting the fid through the last part of the splice is to give it a spray with SailKote. Once that dries, the outside of the fid will be more slippery. Also, if you can't get it all the way through, punch the fid through to the surface of the line short and pull the fid and cover out there, work the line back and forth, spray the fid with Sailkote again and repenetrate the core at the short exit point and shove it through the remainder of the way. I've done it for myself and a few friends in our marina that can't (or won't) get the hang of it, but it is a pain in the neck and one can actually end up with blisters!

Good luck!
dhays likes this.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 09-02-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Ugh, I just went through this myself. The overwhelming consenus is that splicing old, used line is pure masochism. Don't torture yourself. I'm glad you found something that works though, I'll probably give it a try myself.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 09-02-2011

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
I absolutely agree about splicing old line. Usually not worth the trouble. I charge a flat rate for different splices and when someone wants me to splice old line I charge by the hour. This usually discourages them.
I recommend simply tying a Halyard knot which is a lot stronger and takes up a lot less room than a bowline.

I like the sailcote idea HyLyte. Haven't tried that. I have found that a little baby powder helps with the tight ones sometimes. I always powder up Sta-Set X splices.
dhays likes this.
Old 09-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
I absolutely agree about splicing old line. Usually not worth the trouble. I charge a flat rate for different splices and when someone wants me to splice old line I charge by the hour. This usually discourages them.
I recommend simply tying a Halyard knot which is a lot stronger and takes up a lot less room than a bowline.
Is this what you are thinking of? I tied this around the splice that I just made.

I might give this a try today if this is it.

Dave
My Blog on
Old 09-02-2011

gershel is on a distinguished road
Sometimes you can "milk" the cover from further up the line to increase the covers diameter ,and give you more room for the fid, but I agree that old line is much harder to work with.
Marc