Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2011

fryewe is on a distinguished road
Backing into slip with Monitor wind vane

I installed my long desired Monitor wind vane last year. Before I got it, I always parked stern-to because the marina has short finger piers and access to the cockpit is so much easier when moored that way.

Now, I'm so nervous about damaging the vane and its supports that I never back into my slip. The finger pier at my slip extends from a perpendicular main dock, with a service stand with light and life ring on that dock. With the vane attached, I am afraid I am going to back in with a little to much gusto or a little out of control and not be able to keep from bumping the vane on the main dock or service stand.

I understand the uses of spring lines, and the need for caution, minimum speed, how to use a boat hook, and am pretty experienced in boat handling, having owned the boat since '83. I used to be real careful coming in stern-to because my rudder is an outboard barn door rudder, and it never bothered me too much. I have never bumped the rudder on the dock coming in stern to, and have made a large number of landings bow-to and have bumped the dock with the bow only once hard enough to make me wince. I have, however, from time to time, had the bow blown into the dock by strong winds from aft while I was adjusting lines.

I know I am being a Nervous Nellie here, but before I take the risk of damaging George, who I waited a LONG time for, and of whom I am really proud and who I consider to be key to my long distance cruising plans, which I hope are to be imminently implemented, I want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything before I begin to back into my slip.

How do those of you who have vanes that dock stern-to minimize the likelihood of banging it against the dock? How did you practice any changes to your methods for docking? How did you convince yourselves that you had done all you could do be ready to back into the slip safely the first time.

Thanks for passing on any info or experiences you have.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2011

xymotic is on a distinguished road
as per a related thread... go REALLY slowly!

You can touch the dock, just don't HIT the dock
Old 09-07-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
I have a monitor also (PO installed on my 34 footer). I go in bow first as stern first would be difficlut. Also, the monitor makes it difficult to fend off the stern (if you are about to hit somthing) as it is in the way. I did tap the pier and no damage to the monitor- they seem very stong with a stong mount to the stern. Good Luck

Tags
docking , monitor , wind vane