Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2011

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Really depends on a number of factors.. the area, depth, holding, individuals' comfort levels..
Faster missed something: Insurance paid up?

But seriously, in the situation you described I would have gone below, mixed a drink, sipped it slowly in the cockpit while I assessed the situation and how the boats were tending. In the situation you described, nothing much would have changed and so I'd finish the drink, go below for dinner and then have good night's sleep.

In the situation you described it seems to me the guy was a jerk or inexperienced, or both. Anchoring rights are important, and I defer to those anchored before me when it's obvious that there is a reason to be concerned. What you're doing when you ask the boat anchored CLOSE to you is: 1. being polite; and, 2. seeking the judgement of another skipper. If you're close enough to speak to each other in a normal tone of voice, you should pay attention to his views, as he was there first. If you have to shout to hear each other.....well, go below and mix a drink.

As always when at sea, what you do is ultimately up to you and, of course, you accept responsibility for your decisions.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2011

Tree is on a distinguished road
My opinion is that you should have moved a little.

First of all, ......If you droped anchor 75 feet from shore and let out 100 feet of rode..... I'll guess you were counting on a current to keep you off the rocks??

But back to the question......

We all were inexperienced at one time. We've all had bad days. We all have made mistakes as to "how far away" another boat is. We have all have had to anchor some place for the first time. And if he were concerned, expressed it politely or not, you had the oportunity to be the bigger man. Was there a reason you had to anchor exactly where you did? Was there no room to move a little?
Old 09-11-2011

delite is on a distinguished road
The shelf runs for about 500-600 feet in length and comes out about 150 feet from shore. He was probably 100 feet or so along the shelf (but he was to far from shore to be on it) and there were 2 power boats further along the shelf, one near the far end and another closer to the center. Both were in tight to shore. As I said I have anchored here hundreds of times. Once you get off that shelf the next feasible place to anchor is in 75 feet of water near the outflow of the river about 700 meters south of this location. This spot is close to a provincial park that fills with yahoos on weekends who pour gasoline onto their bonfires during fire bans and burn down the outhouses. I wouldnt anchor in this location overnight and have never seen anyone anchor there for more than a few hours.
I guess we could have tied the stern off to shore to get rid of our swing but given the way the tide will move through there I think that invites more risk than you run doing as we did.