Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
Never step off a moving boat?

I started another thread regarding docking boat speed. In the thread, several references were made by other members to the rule: "Never step off a moving boat". I have to admit, when I single hand, I do it all the time. I'm a fairly athletic guy, and have never felt it was the least bit dangerous. Having said that, I'm always open to learning. Anyone have any actual stories that demonstrate that when done with discretion (slow boat speed, low feeboard, etc) the practice is dangerous? Heck....even include the examples done with reckless abandon, should be funny! Extra points for video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2011

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
I do it all the time, don't see a problem. Heck, boats are always moving. The only question is whether you get wet. In my case I stand a greater chance of getting wet stepping onto a dockside stationary boat than while it's moving (true).

Does falling off a moving boat count? Done that too.
Old 09-13-2011

Ninefingers is on a distinguished road
It's always moving when I step off.

I also climbed trees when I was young, so I'm qualified.

The "bubble generation"...not so much.

For them, it's best to wait until everything is settled and then get assistance by a qualified and insured individual who understands the nuances of stepping over 1 foot of water.
Old 09-13-2011

INMA is on a distinguished road
The logic behind waiting for the boat to stop relative to the jetty is there is a lot less chance of getting caught between the jetty and the moving boat.

Crush injuries between jetties and boats are too common.

The advise also stops novices thinking it is alright to jump between the boat and jetty. Crew often don't appreciate the movements of a boat and one of the scary things as a skipper is closing on a jetty, positioning the hull so a line can easily be slipped over a bollard when a crew member jumps believing their being on the jetty is going to make the securing of the drifting boat easier.

My docking technique does not plan to have anyone leave the safety of the boat until a line is secured and the boat secured and stable near the jetty.

Larger boats might be more stable but the risk is still there. Best seamanship is to develop docking techniques that do not rely on people on the jetty or moving from the boat to the jetty until the boat is secure.

Most times I back in to the jetty at 45 degrees tying a line from the rear to the jetty then motor forward against the line to push the bow into the jetty. Alternatively I run a line from the cockpit to midships then lead to the stern(outside), back the boat in at 45 degrees, secure the line on a bollard then use the line to haul the boat in sideways.

Both methods allow me to watch the clearances from the helm and I can power forward clear of the jetty if anything goes wrong. Its a simple procedure that works single handed and works from the safety of the cockpit.
Old 09-13-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
It's a rare landing when I'm unable to stop the boat alongside so the the crew simply steps off and secures the boat. I think the danger in stepping off a moving boat is not so much in the leap as in the attempt to physically stop the boat, or to try to act as a human fender when things go awry.. This does, of course, depend on the boat's size and displacement.

But I reckon there have been plenty of turned ankles and other injuries to those attempting to 'jump' off the boat. (Imagine having to jump off something like a Hunter Passage 45 onto a low float!)

Here's another thing that happens.. handing off the line to a "helpful" soul on the dock while still coasting, whereupon they promptly snub it down and send the stern shearing off away from the dock!!

When we do hand off lines we always let them know "We'll stop the boat"...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-13-2011
Remember you're a womble

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
If someone didn't step off my moving boat, I'd spend a lot of time repairing the bow
erps likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-13-2011

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
I just give a bit of reverse which serves to both stop the boat and bring the stern to port so I can step off with no drama. Of course, it's a Catalina 36 and they pretty much handle like a really long car.

Mike
Old 09-13-2011
Banned

WDS123 is on a distinguished road
Never 'jump'

But 'step' is fine
Old 09-13-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
L124C and junkrig like this.
Old 09-14-2011
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
I saw a person calmly step off a slow moving boat, stub their toe on an ever so slightly raised board and do a nice face plant into the dock. It looked like it hurt. You can fall or trip any time whether the boat is moving or not.

Telling a newbie "Step off when the boat is moving slow enough" leaves things up to interpretation. 5 kts might be slow for a former powerboater. A rule of not stepping off until the boat is stopped is more black and white.

another funny
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JATSp...eature=related

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet

Last edited by Sublime; 09-14-2011 at 01:28 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.