Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2001

walt123 is on a distinguished road
anchors

Having used a CQR plow anchor for many years I have been reading numerours articles on how "great" other styles are. My questions is what anchor is more reliable then a CQR based on actual, not theoretical situtations. All different anchors will shine in at least one type of bottom, but as a cruiser I have found the CQR to be the best holding in all types of botttoms. This assumes a anchor of correct size, at least 50 feet of chain and Line to equal at least 7 to 1 scope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2001

Fran49829 is on a distinguished road
anchors

Walt 123,
I have only cruised the Great Lakes so I have no experience with coral. My experience with Bruce anchors has been very good. In one instance I was anchored in a small harbor 50 feet deep, 6 feet of chain and 200 feet of nylon rode. The wind rose to 35 knots and we held fast. Four other boats did not. In sand a Bruce anchor will hold fast even on a slightly downsloping bottom: sometimes I anchor at South Manitou on this downsloping bottom and have no problem. So overall I am very pleased with Bruce Anchors but have had two situations in which they held only because there was little wind. One was in a cove of a small island in the middle of the North Channel where the bottom was round rock about 12 inches in diameter and the other was at Garden Island, north of Beaver Island, where the bottom was so hard the Bruce would not penetrate it. The CQR has much more weight and a point so maybe it would have gotten a bite in the round rocks and the super hard bottom, what do you think? I sail a small boat,have to bring up anchors as I need them and have to pull them out of the water by hand so I use the Bruce because it is much lighter and is really easy to clean. I have two Bruce 11 pounders. If I had a boat with an elecric windlass I would try one CQR and one Bruce if weight were not a problem otherwise I would go with one CQR.
Old 03-14-2001

SHIMSHON is on a distinguished road
anchors

I HAVE HAD EXCELLENT EXPERIENCE WITH THE CQR IN JUST ABOUT ALL TYPES OF BOTTOM. I USE A 35lbCQR AS MY NORMAL ANCHOR AND HOLD A 45lb IN RESERVE. I DO USE AN ALL CHAIN RODE ON THESE ANCHORS SINCE MY BOAT GROSSES OUT AT 18 TONS. IN ADDITION I USE A FORTRESS AS A LUNCH HOOK AND AS A KEDGE. I HAVE 15ft OF 3/8ths CHAIN AND 300 FEET OF 3/4" NYLON ON THE FORTRESS. I HAVE USED THE FORTRESS IN THE INTER COASTAL AS A KEDGE AND AM ALWAYS AMAZED AT HOW QUICKLY IT SETS AND THE INCREDIBLE HOLDING POWER IT HAS. AT TIMES I HAVE HAD DIFFICULTY IN BREAKING IT OUT OF THE MUD ONCE FIRMLY SET. PRACTICAL SAILOR RAN A RECENT ARTICLE ON ANCHORS AND THEIR STRENGTHS AND WEAKNESSESYOU MIGHT WANT TO GET A COPY. HOWEVER YOUR OWN EXPERIENCE AND THE TYPES OF BOTTOM YOU ARE NORMALLY EXPOSED TO WILL DICTATE THE TYPE OF ANCHOR YOU MAY WANT TO USE. I WOULD ALSO POINT OUT THAT ITS VERY RARE THAT YOU WOULD USE A 7:1 SCOPE. ITS NICE TO HAVE AN ADEQUATE AMOUNT OF RODE ON BOARD TO PROVIDE FOR THAT AMOUNT OF SCOPE IN YOUR NORMAL CRUISING AREAS BUT LACK OF SWING ROOM IS PROBALY GOING TO DICTATE THE AMOUNT OF SCOPE YOU USE. THATS WHY AN ALL CHAIN RODE,IF YOU CAN ACCOMODATE IT IS GREAT TO HAVE, LESS SCOPE REQUIRED FOR HOLDING POWER.
Old 03-14-2001

gershel is on a distinguished road
anchors

Hi, I also swear by my 35# CQR. Three trips to FL on the ICW,never ever dragged.I feel that technique has as much to do with it as the anchor type. Because I sail alone most of the time,I set the anchor by hand,just using the boats natural drift back. I learned to feel the anchor actually setting,or not.I usually use a 5,6:1 scope initially,then adjust as needed. I have 40'' of chain& 200'' 5/8" rode. My 2nd anchor is a Fortress. That seems to work equally as well. I''ve had them both out for up to 2 weeks at a time,never a problem. One other thing on technique,after setting I back down,very gently,then let the anchor dig in naturally from wind & wave action. Works for me. I have a PDQ36 catamaran.
Marc
Old 03-23-2001
Chesapeake Sailor

wwilson is on a distinguished road
anchors

Walt et al, do you have any experience or opinion on the relatively new (French built) Spade anchor? I''m considering it as a replacement for, or addition to a CQR. It did very, very well in the recent Practical Sailor anchor tests.
http://www.spade-anchor.com/Site%20anglais/US/default_US.html
Old 03-23-2001

anchors

I have never seen this anchor..but it seems to be a take off on a bruce. Bruces are excellent anchors and no doubt the French in there always humble opinions may have made a better mouse trap. Once they appear at local marinas and we have some real life tests we should know.
Old 03-23-2001

anchors

oops
Old 04-03-2001
HMSINDY

JohnYates is on a distinguished road
anchors

I agree that technique is nearly as important as selection. I prefer a Danforth in the muddy bottom along the New Jersey intercoastal. But, I had to learn the hard way on a charter boat in Greece how techniques vary by anchor types. My charter boat only had a single CQR. When we first reached the island of Kithnos, the wind outside the harbor was strong. Inside, the water was flat but much to my surprise, the wind was actually stronger than outside. It seemed to boil down the lee of the island and pick up speed. The harbor bottom was white sand and grass. After several failed attempts (I was the afternoon''s entertainment I can tell you) I adjusted my technique - I began taking very soft sets almost immediately after the CQR hit the bottom, letting the boat drift back a boat length at a time then repeating the soft set. Otherwise, the CQR simply fell on its side and dragged along. Once set, it buried deep and held perfectly for two days.
Old 04-25-2001

schoonerman is on a distinguished road
anchors

I use my CQR as the primary anchor. It works most of the time (poor on grass and on and off for rocky bottoms) but if I could only have 1 anchor on board, it would be a fisherman. It holds to any type of bottom and is a great heavy weather anchor. If it weren''t so awkward to use, I''d use it regularly.
Old 05-22-2001

svdragonseeker is on a distinguished road
anchors

I refuse to have a cqr on the boat! They are called a plow for a reason: they dig on and keep on moving, plowing right on through. Mud especially! Bruce''s are much better, Max is great, old style fisherman is great for grass and rocks, Danforth for extra. Have them all on S/V Dragonseeker.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.