Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Seamanship & Navigation
 Not a Member? 

Seamanship & Navigation Forum devoted to seamanship and navigation topics, including paper and electronic charting tools.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2011

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Good job david. I have a 4hp ob on my C27, so I can totally understand the issue with wind. You made it back safe, and it sounds like you had good back-up plans. And, hey, 20 knots is a fun ride. You at least have to go check it out, right?
Is that a Catalina 27.

In any event 4hp for any 27 means you probably have to follow 15th century rules sometimes. (IE Sail downwind)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2011

I tried again tonite. Third afternoon in a row. I got out to the channel entrance and it started to rain and lightning. Rain I can handle, lightning not when I have an alternative.

I noticed the little powerboats seemed to be very friendly all of a sudden and stayed close.
Old 09-29-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Is that a Catalina 27.

In any event 4hp for any 27 means you probably have to follow 15th century rules sometimes. (IE Sail downwind)
Yes. A Catalina 27. I had a 6hp before this motor and it did fine in everything except 30+ knots. this 4hp starts getting iffy in about 20+. Other than that, it's been fine. You just have to stay pointed.

But remember, I'm on a lake. No real fetch, no real currents.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-29-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
But remember, I'm on a lake. No real fetch, no real currents.
Forgot about the lake. That's cheating.
Old 09-30-2011
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
.....The 20-25 knots was at right angles to the channel. ...
It sounds like if you unfurled half your jib and sailed on a beam reach, you could have finished the trip in a few minutes. In rough water you can make much better progress under sail than motor, especially with an outboard. Sure some rough situations sailing is a doesnt-fit solution, but in yours, it sure sounds like the hands down way to go.
AdamLein likes this.
Old 09-30-2011
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I actually reef before 20 because it seldom blows steady around here. If it is 20 it is really 20 to 25+. If it is 10 it is really 10 to 14+

I've had had great sails at 7 knots with the 150 all the way out.
If it even feels like the boat is working slightly too hard which can happen as low as maybe 12 to 17 I roll up to 100% and put in the reef.
The boat handles better, seems just as fast, and I don't have to worry as much about breaking something.
Amen, brother.

Old 09-30-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
It sounds like if you unfurled half your jib and sailed on a beam reach, you could have finished the trip in a few minutes. In rough water you can make much better progress under sail than motor, especially with an outboard. Sure some rough situations sailing is a doesnt-fit solution, but in yours, it sure sounds like the hands down way to go.
Yes, but that can be tough to do solo when in confined quarters about to dock.

I expect David was being cautions. He's one of the most careful people I've met, from reading accident reports and books (e.g. the Fastnet race gone bad), to preparing ahead of time.

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss buckets. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 09-30-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
... I noticed the little powerboats seemed to be very friendly all of a sudden and stayed close.
Now THAT'S funny!

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss buckets. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Old 10-01-2011

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hey,

You did better than me: I couldn't even make it to my boat!

Yesterday I figured I would go down to boat around noon. I planned on eating lunch, working (there is wifi in the marina) with my computer, and just spending a few hours on board.

The marina is about 15 minutes from my house. I didn't check the tides, but I must have arrived at high tide. When I got down to harbor the road was flooded. The road runs right along the harbor and then between the beach on the north and the harbor on the south. Between the east wind blowing water into the sound and the new moon high tide, the water came up and up and up and over the road. I drove through the first part and saw minnows swimming over the road. I made it to a dry section, but saw at least a foot of water ahead of me and I know that it would be deeper after that so I turned around and went home.

Later I intentionally drove in the rain, looking for puddles to wash the salt off the bottom of the Honda Odyssey van.

Map of the harbor:
mt sinai harbor - Google Maps

BTW, if you zoom in enough and know where to look, you can see my boat in the picture.
Barry...still trying to figure out why you just did'nt pull over on the side of the road and breakout the fishing pole!
Old 10-02-2011

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Hey Hugo,

HA HA but fishing isn't my bag. When I first started sailing I bought a few cheap poles figuring if fishing made my kids like being on the boat, it would be a good thing. Anyway, first time out one of my kids actually caught something - some horrible looking sea robin things with spikes and scary spines and such. Of course I had no gear to remove the hook or anything. That was an interesting adventure. Then my son dropped of the pole overboard and the others have sat in quarter berth for a few years now. I guess I should bring them home.

Barry

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.