SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Seamanship & Navigation (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/)
-   -   How Often and How Far...? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/seamanship-navigation/79636-how-often-how-far.html)

Squidd 10-10-2011 08:28 PM

How Often and How Far...?

Not going to post a poll cause there are too many variables in the answers, but:

How often do you go out sailing (in season) ...every weekend...? Once or twice a month...? Couple times a year...? everyday cause your in the Navy...?

And related to that...How far do you live from the water/your boat...?
Is the lake in the back yard...? You live in town nearby...? You travel 1-2 hrs to get there...? Further...?

I ask cause I'm not near a lake suitable for my boat and need to travel, wondering if an in water slip is justified for the 4-5 times a year I'm thinking of going out, or if I'd be better off with a "dry slip" (boat on trailer) and just launch when I do get to go..?

sailortjk1 10-10-2011 08:33 PM

We live 1-1/2 hour's away from the boat.
Drive up every Friday and Home on Sunday. There are very few exceptions to the rule; weddings and funerals. My wife joins me for 99.99% of that time. Rarely am I up alone.
I recently checked our log and there have been only three weekends out of the six month season that we have a 0 in the miles logged.

Tim R. 10-10-2011 08:58 PM

We live on the boat and go out every chance we get.:)

Faster 10-10-2011 09:07 PM

67 days aboard this year, with 57 overnights (so far). The bulk of this is during summer, but we get out year round though less tolerant of rain and cold than we used to be.

Minnewaska 10-10-2011 09:10 PM

Only missed three weekends since early May. Usually anchor or moor out. Spent a few straight weeks as well. Most this year was 16 straight days aboard while cruising the New England coastline.

tdw 10-10-2011 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 784728)
67 days aboard this year, with 57 overnights (so far). The bulk of this is during summer, but we get out year round though less tolerant of rain and cold than we used to be.

wimps .... :p:p

We would spend at least 35 weekends on board plus 6 - 8 weeks continuous.

Being Australians, who are obviously a tougher breed than Canadians we find in recent times we are more tolerant of rain and cold than once was the case.

:):)

Squidd 10-10-2011 10:14 PM

I'm getting the feeling I may be going out more often than I originally calculated...

tdw 10-10-2011 10:49 PM

Squidd ... should have added ... we are 15 minutes from boat so travel is not an issue. I'd also note that we are essentially without families. we've never had children, the Wombet only has a brother, I only have a mother who does not live nearby and a brother interstate. The weekends we don't get down to the boat are the weekends spent visiting family. My guess is that the more family you have and/or the closer they live to you the more they will get in the way of your boating.

We get away so much largely because of somewhat selfish attitude which puts our time spent on board as the most precious.

DRFerron 10-10-2011 10:55 PM

Our marina is two hours away. It feels like a mini vacation each weekend. We made friends with our slip neighbors and we keep an eye on each others boats when one of us is away. We like the town and consider it another home.

We used to have a 22 footer that we kept there. I hate trailering so was OK paying for the slip. Now we keep our 30 footer in the same marina. The marina leaves a bottle of wine in the cabin each year when they launch our boat. :D

The marina is small and the staff knows our boat and its problems well. The mechanic who works on the engine has performed miracles. Originally I chose this particular marina because they didn't charge extra to keep my 22 footer in a 30 foot slip but since then we've come to appreciate the professionalism and knowledge of the staff, most of whom race and one who was a member of a couple America's Cup teams.

We also like that if we want to fix something ourselves, they are more than willing to tell us how to do it and have even allowed us to use their tools on the few occasions when we didn't have our own. We like having the option of trying to save money but knowing they will bail us out if we need it.

I guess my point of all that is to say that I'd miss the interaction with other boaters if we weren't renting a slip.

We don't sail every weekend but this season we came close.

Faster 10-10-2011 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdw (Post 784756)
wimps .... :p:p.....
Being Australians, who are obviously a tougher breed than Canadians we find in recent times we are more tolerant of rain and cold than once was the case.

:):)

Roller main, full cockpit enclosure (despite no real winter), watermaker, living in the lap of luxury and WE'RE the wimps???:p:mad:;)